corner corner The Corrections

The Corrections
by Jonathan Franzen | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingApoloniaXwing of Bremen, Bremen Germany on Saturday, July 04, 2009

status (set by BuchFriedhof): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by wingApoloniaXwing from Bremen, Bremen Germany on Saturday, July 04, 2009

The novel won the 2001 National Book Award for Fiction and the 2002 James Tait Black Memorial Prize, was nominated for the 2001 National Book Critics Circle Award for Fiction and the 2002 PEN/Faulkner Award, and was shortlisted for the 2003 International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award. In 2005, The Corrections was included in Time magazine's list of the 100 best English-language novels.
The novel was a selection of Oprah's Book Club in 2001. Franzen caused some controversy when he publicly expressed his ambivalence at his novel having been chosen by the club due to its inevitable association with the "schmaltzy" books selected in the past. As a result, he declined the invitation from The Oprah Winfrey Show, though the book club still discussed the novel without him.
In an article for a Newsweek piece on American culture during the George W. Bush administration, Jennie Yabroff said that despite being released less than a year into Bush's term and before the September 11 attacks, The Corrections "anticipates almost eerily the major concerns of the next seven years." According to Yarboff, a study of The Corrections demonstrates that much of the apprehension and disquiet that is seen as characteristic of the Bush era and post-9/11 America actually predated both. In this way, the novel is both characteristic of its time and prophetic of things to come; for Yabroff, even the controversy with Oprah, which saw Franzen branded an "elitist", was symptomatic of the subsequent course of American culture, with its increasingly prominent anti-elitist strain. She argues that The Corrections stands above later novels which focus on similar themes, because unlike its successors it addresses these themes without being "hamstrung by the 9/11 problem" which preoccupied Bush-era novels by writers such as Don DeLillo, Jay McInerney, and Jonathan Safran Foer. (Wikipedia)

Jonathan Franzen's exhilarating novel The Corrections tells a spellbinding story with sexy comic brio, and evokes a quirky family akin to Anne Tyler's, only bitter. Franzen's great at describing Christmas homecomings gone awry, cruise-ship follies, self-deluded academics, breast-obsessed screenwriters, stodgy old farts and edgy Tribeca bohemians equally at sea in their lives, and the mad, bad, dangerous worlds of the Internet boom and the fissioning post-Soviet East.
All five members of the Lambert family get their due, as everybody's lives swirl out of control. Paterfamilias Alfred is slipping into dementia, even as one of his inventions inspires a pharmaceutical giant to revolutionize treatment of his disease. His stubborn wife, Enid, specializes in denial; so do their kids, each in an idiosyncratic way. Their hepcat son, Chip, lost a college sinecure by seducing a student, and his new career as a screenwriter is in peril. Chip's sister, Denise, is a chic chef perpetually in hot water, romantically speaking; banker brother Gary wonders if his stifling marriage is driving him nuts. We inhabit these troubled minds in turn, sinking into sorrow punctuated by laughter, reveling in Franzen's satirical eye:
"Gary in recent years had observed, with plate tectonically cumulative anxiety, that population was continuing to flow out of the Midwest and toward the cooler coasts.... Gary wished that all further migration [could] be banned and all Midwesterners encouraged to revert to eating pasty foods and wearing dowdy clothes and playing board games, in order that a strategic national reserve of cluelessness might be maintained, a wilderness of taste which would enable people of privilege, like himself, to feel extremely civilized in perpetuity."
Franzen is funny and on the money. This book puts him on the literary map.(amazon)

Journal Entry 2 by wingApoloniaXwing from Bremen, Bremen Germany on Saturday, July 04, 2009

International Bookray:
- Vilda, Sweden, ship int'l
- EmgeeNL, NL, ship EU ("double entry", book will be read by two people)
- lizzyblack, Italy, ship EU
- Jozebedee, UK, ship UK (or EU)
- Bongalonga, UK, ship UK (thanks for shipping int'l!!!)
(- arturogrande, UK, ship int'l - skipped)
- darkpunkangel, Canada, ship int'l
- Sherlockfan, NZ, ship int'l (towards the end)

The usual:
- Someone will PM you for your address, PM them back and provide your address
- When you receive the book, please make a journal entry letting everyone know that you received it
- Please try to finish it within six weeks
- When the end is in sight, check the book's journal and PM the next person to get their address
- Make another journal entry and let everyone know what you thought of the book
- Make release notes to let everyone know that it's in the mail
- Send the book to the next person on the list
If delayed make sure to let us know so that the ring will not stop
(If you are very new, you must at least be active, i.e. having registered and released books.)

Journal Entry 3 by wingApoloniaXwing at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Friday, July 10, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (7/10/2009 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Sent to Vilda
Enjoy reading it!

Journal Entry 4 by wingVildawing from Stockholm, Södermanland Sweden on Sunday, July 19, 2009

This was waiting for me when I came home from my vacation. Thanks! I have two other rays before this one but I'll get to it as soon as I can!

Journal Entry 5 by wingVildawing at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, August 15, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (8/15/2009 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

I actually think that I would like this novel but somehow I just can't get into it. Maybe just because life circumstances around me. I'll release it now to the next one on the list. Maybe I'll give it another try some other time.

Journal Entry 6 by EmgeeNL from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, August 24, 2009

The book arrived and is going on my tbr for now

At first I had a bit of trouble getting into the book. And overall I think it would be a better book if the writter had cut the book down with 100 pages. But besides this it is a very well written book which made me laugh.

My boyfriend is curently reading the book. We hoped to have finsihed reading the book sooner, but due to a personal circumstance this didn't happen. The book will be on it's way to the next reader before the end of this month. My excuse for the delay.

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Wednesday, October 21, 2009

"The Corrections" was a thrilling read. The book was passed on to me by my girlfriend (see posting above). Although it starts slow and it takes a little time to get used to the very extensive descriptions of the characters' thoughts which slow the story down, the book features several hilarious scenes and at the same time describes very recognisable feelings.

WHAT FOLLOWS IS A SPOILER that you may not want to read before you've read the book yourself.

Reading the book shortly after my father died made me identify very strongly with the book's ending. All in all, a very good read!

CAUGHT IN ROTTERDAM THE NETHERLANDS

Journal Entry 8 by EmgeeNL at A Controlled Release, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (10/21/2009 UTC) at A Controlled Release, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

The book is finally on it's way to Italy. Sorry for the holdup and ApoloniaX thanx for allowing us to keep the book a bit longer.

Journal Entry 9 by winglizzyblackwing from Ponte Lambro, Lombardia Italy on Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The book is here :) I am finishing another bookring, then I'll start this one :)

Journal Entry 10 by winglizzyblackwing from Ponte Lambro, Lombardia Italy on Tuesday, December 01, 2009

I am really sorry to tell you that I tried to star this book at least 4 times, but every time it just seems I can't get into it. It happens sometimes, and when it does I know it's just no its time ;) I prefer to pass it on, I would hold it too long and it wouldn't be fair for those who has to read the ring.
Thanx a lot ApoloniaX for letting me be part of the ring, and sorry for not finishing it... I'll contact the next Bookcrosser right now ;)

Journal Entry 11 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I have received this safely - thanks lizzyblack :)
Thanks also ApoloniaX for including me in this ray. I have a few other rays to get through first, but I promise, promise, to be as quick as I can so I don't hold this up for too long. I am hoping to get a lot of reading done over the Christmas holidays :)
I am looking forward to starting this book!!

EDIT: 16.02.10 This is next up on my TBR pile - will start it soon!
EDIT: 18.02.10 Started today!

Journal Entry 12 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 27, 2010

I didn't think I was going to enjoy this book. I found the first couple of chapters a little hard to wade through - they weren't really grabbing my attention. I persevered however, and am glad that I did as I have enjoyed this quite a lot. I enjoyed the way that the focus changed on the different family members, and liked reading their individual stories about what has made them the people they are. I felt sorry for and was annoyed at Enid at the same time, I liked her character the least, and just felt sad for Alfred. The ending was a little traumatic for me, but it gives a good insight into how a degenerative disease can affect a family.
Overall not bad, but a little hard to get into, and quite amusing in parts.
I have pm'd Bongalonga, but have not heard back yet. Will keep trying.

EDIT 04/03/10: Have now heard from Bongalonga - this will be travelling again tomorrow.

Journal Entry 13 by Jozebedee at -- Controlled release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Friday, March 05, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (3/5/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Posted second class today. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 14 by Bongalonga from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 08, 2010

Rec'd with thanks from Jozebedee. Just finish my current book, then onto this.

Journal Entry 15 by Bongalonga from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 14, 2010

Sorry this has been a while, but its taken me a long time to read it! I can't claim to have enjoyed this book, but it did get better towards the end. I found it a long, largely uninteresting slog which frustratingly the author seemed to pack too much into rather than just telling the story. I can't help feel that there was something underlyingly clever about the book, but found it really annoying that the author tried to show off his personal vocabulary of little used words, have his chapters far too long with ridiculously long sentences - I found one sentence quite early on that filled all but 3 or 4 lines of a whole page!

Given the subject matter, I expected this book to fill me with compassion but other than right at the end it just didn't hit the spot. Shame really, I had high hopes.

Have PMed arturogrande and will release shortly.

UPDATE: auturogrande has asked to be skipped, have PMed darkpunkangel

Journal Entry 16 by Bongalonga at Morley, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (5/19/2010 UTC) at Morley, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

Sent off to Canada (which was somewhat pricier than planned given that auturogrande has dropped out and I was only expecting to post to the UK!)

Journal Entry 17 by darkpunkangel at Montréal, Québec Canada on Thursday, June 10, 2010

The book has arrived safe and sound. Thanks Bongalonga for passing this on and ApoloniaX for starting this ray. Will get to it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 18 by darkpunkangel at Montréal, Québec Canada on Saturday, July 31, 2010

Couldn't really get into this one, so will pass this on.

Will PM the next person and will pass it on too them ASAP.

Journal Entry 19 by darkpunkangel at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, August 28, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (8/28/2010 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

The book is on it's way to sherlockfan. Hope you enjoy the book more then I did.

Journal Entry 20 by wingSherlockfanwing at Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Well, I am afraid I have only bad news about this book. It arrived in our mail box today wrapped in layers of plastic and covered in Post Office sticky tape. Inside was a notice appended by the International Mail Centre advising that the book had arrived in our country in its thoroughly wet condition. It now weighs about twice as much as it started out because every page is still sodden.
I've just consulted a librarian friend to see what is the best way - if any - to try to dry it out. She said that the only way, and what they do at their library when misfortune happens to a book, is to put paper towels between each page and hopefully that will absorb the damp and mean that the pages can then be read without the words being damaged. With 601 pages that will be a long and tedious process and as the cover and spine are also wet I don't think that the book will hold together even if it does get all dried out.
Now I am in two minds what to do about it. As it is a Book Ray rather than a Book Ring I'm taking that to mean the ApoloniaX is not necessarily wishing to have the book back. I've checked with "The Book Depository UK" and see that there are copies available through that wonderful firm. Did you know it posts books overseas without charging postage which is truly wonderful from a New Zealand perspective? I've used them several times.
I must say that the journal entries for this copy are not enthusiastically full of praise so I'm not devastated at the thought of perhaps not reading it and as I'm the last on the list there is no one actually waiting for it. Please can I have some guidance and thoughts from others who've been involved with this ray, especially ApoloniaX, and perhaps darkpunkangel might have some clues as to what might have happened to the book in transit. Has there been any publicity in Montreal about mishaps with mail bags?
Disappointing really - lets hear from someone please.

Journal Entry 21 by wingApoloniaXwing at World Wide Web, -- Not a city, Geographical features, etc. -- World Wide Web on Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Sorry for crashing into this without having the book but....

POOR poor book :-( .... at least it has seen quite a bit of the world, even though not everybody enjoyed its company that much. I just realised that I never wrote my thoughts about it down - I have my own copy and read it only after the ray started. And I DID enjoy it. It wasn't easy to get into it, but it's very well written, with brilliant characterizations, and I find it deserves its place on the 1001-books-you-must-read-before-you-die list. However, Sherlockfan, you're the last person on the ray, so please don't feel compelled to buy a replacement copy. It looks as if it won't really recover, so probably it will have to find its final resting place. If it can't be restored, (what I doubt) I would suggest we pass it over to one of the book cemeteries. I think the one in Brisbane is closed now, but there is one with excellent services in Germany (here) - and as this is where the book started its travels, it might be happy to get back here.

Journal Entry 22 by wingApoloniaXwing at n/a, Germany -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (9/1/2010 UTC) at n/a, Germany -- Controlled Releases

Sadly, nothing can be done for this poor sodden book anymore. Sherlockfan has kindly assisted it in its last few hours, and after exchanging a few PMs we have decided that the BuchFriedhof / book cemetery in Germany would be the perfect final resting place for it.

Journal Entry 23 by BuchFriedhof at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, September 10, 2010

Wieder einmal ist ein unbescholtenes BC-Buch einem verantwortungslosen Postdienstleister in die Hände gefallen. Leider hat es die Reise von Canada nach Neuseeland nicht heil überstanden. Die neuseeländische Bookcrosserin Sherlockfan ist ihm in seinen letzten Stunden zur Seite gestanden und wir haben nach PM-Austausch den BuchFriedhof als letzte Ruhestätte auserkoren.

Thanks to Sherlockfan for being a human friend for this brave book, which travelled a lot and made many readers happy.

Ruhe in Frieden - Rest in Peace!