corner corner *The Book Thief

*The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak | Literature & Fiction
Registered by sternenwolf of Steffenberg, Hessen Germany on 6/26/2009

status (set by sternenwolf): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by sternenwolf from Steffenberg, Hessen Germany on Friday, June 26, 2009

A book about Nazi-Germany and the storyteller is noone then the death. I heard much about it and looking forward to read it. Counts for Australia in the 1 Jahr = 1 Land-Challenge.
Wow what a book! I just finished it and I'm deeply impressed. The story of Liesel Memminger is full of laughter, fear, friends, enemys, love, tears, lost and words and told by no one other then death himself. But death is not a gruelty creature with a black cloak as he told us. He is an watcher and feels pity for the humans who where left when he took a related person. So he narreted Liesel's story to all of us.
Liesel lives with her forster parents in Molching near Munich. Her mother has brought her here. She first meets death on her way to 33 Himmel Street in Molching. In the train they took her brother died and then burried in a nameless town along the road. It's 1939 and Germany in the hand of the Führer Adolf Hitler and his NSDAP and Liesel's real parents are taken away to concentracion camp. So she lives with Rosa and Hans Hubermann in Molching. She learns to love her forster parents, make friendship to Rudy, ths boy next door, learn to read an steal books. After a couple of time Hans Hubermann is asked to keep a promise. Max Vadenberg is a jew and his father once saved Hans' life in World War I. Now Max needs help to hide from the fanatical NSDAP. So the Hubermanns took him to theire house and hide him in theire basement...
That's a shortcut of the story. I liked this book very, very well. The style is interessting. The German sentences and words (Saumensch) first were a little confusing, but soon you wouldn't think about it.

Journal Entry 2 by sternenwolf at per Post, an einen anderen Bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Monday, July 20, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (7/20/2009 UTC) at per Post, an einen anderen Bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Wird an Ahoi-Brause geliehen!
Wünsch Dir viel Spaß damit! :)

Journal Entry 3 by Ahoi-Brause from Lemgo, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, July 23, 2009

Oh, was für eine schöne Überraschung, sternenwolf! Wird in Kürze gelesen und kommt dann subito zu Dir zurück. Habe hier noch 2-3 Ringe, aber ich werde es in Kürze lesen! =)
Tausend Dank für die nette Leihgabe, und den Tee werde ich mir gleich auch noch aufbrühen!

Journal Entry 4 by Ahoi-Brause from Lemgo, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, October 31, 2009

FINALLY the book has made it from my "soon-to-be-read-shelf" into my hands! :o) Sorry, I had quite a few ringbooks before, so I always had to take others first. Now, that I have started to read I can't believe what a tresure was hidden in my bookshelf!!! After the first pages I am so into it and can't put it down.
A complete JE will follow after reading the whole book! I have to go ... reading! :-)

Journal Entry 5 by Ahoi-Brause from Lemgo, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, December 05, 2009

I have just finished the book this morning and it was one of the best I have read in quite a while. It is a very touching story of the "book thief" Liesel Memminger in Nazi-Germany and I can't express how impressed and touched I am by the book.
The way the story was told was more like a fairytale (very soft and calm), the interiour design of the book is second to none: There are different small paragraphs gliding in, giving extra information or unreveling thoughts, surprising is also the "painted and scribbeld" book by Max which is complete shown in the book as well. Also the characters were all described in a great way: Everyone really went straight to your heart and you had the feeling they are all living next door.

It is amazing how such a hard and brutal topic like Germany during the war, can be the background for such a good and - nevertheless all the sorrow - touching book. I have to admit though that I was seldom able to read more than 2-3 chapters at a time. It is a book which you definitely think about - a lot! That is why it took me quite long to read it.

I also read it for the 1 Year = 1 Country Challenge for AUSTRALIA.

Journal Entry 6 by Ahoi-Brause at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, December 05, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (12/5/2009 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Dear Sternenwolf,

I would like to thank you VERY Much for sharing this book and sending it upon my borrowing-request. I am really happy to have been able to read this book and like I said before, it really touched me.

The book is safely wrapped again and will now travel back to you, with a (really) small thank you included in the book!

Journal Entry 7 by sternenwolf from Steffenberg, Hessen Germany on Thursday, December 17, 2009

Wieder unbeschadet und wohlbehalten bei mir angekommen!
Es freut mich das es dir so gut gefallen hat!
Wandert jetzt wieder auf meine AVL...

And:Thanks for the thank you! Hab mich sehr über das schöne Lesezeichen gefreut, wird gleich in Gebrauch genommen!

Ich mach jetzt einen Ring aus diesem wundervollen Buch:
1.Lachco-Dautphetal,Hessen
2.zinat1-Rhein-Erft-Kreis, NRW<-hier ist es grade!
3.faerie-glen-Ulm, BaWü
x.LittleF-Wolfsburg, Niedersachsen

Journal Entry 8 by sternenwolf at sent to another BookCrosser, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 15, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (1/15/2010 UTC) at sent to another BookCrosser, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

So der Ring macht sich auf den Weg!
Wünsche allen Teilnehmern viel Spaß beim Lesen!

Journal Entry 9 by Lachco on Monday, January 18, 2010

Book arrived an hour ago - thank you very much!
I´m looking forward for reading and hope it´ll leave me soon.

Edit: march 2010
Finished reading yesterday. This Book is really wonderfull but as expected some passages are sad. Thank you again for sending it to me.

Journal Entry 10 by Lachco at -- Per Post/Persönliche Weitergabe--, Hessen Germany on Friday, March 19, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (3/19/2010 UTC) at -- Per Post/Persönliche Weitergabe--, Hessen Germany

The book thief is travelling to Zinat1 instead of faerie-glenn. Enjoy it!

Journal Entry 11 by zinat1 from Elsdorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Reached my mailbox this morning. Thanx for sending!

Journal Entry 12 by zinat1 at Elsdorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, August 23, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (8/23/2012 UTC) at Elsdorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Sending back home!!! Finally... sorry for the horrible delay!

Journal Entry 13 by sternenwolf at Steffenberg, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Natürlich schon ewig wieder daheim. Habe nur den JE vergessen.