corner corner Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted

Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted
by Harry Harrison | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by caligula03 of Hayward, California USA on 6/2/2003

status (set by Crankydragon): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Monday, June 02, 2003

I see that the cover art has changed since the first edition. I like the original artwork better and let me explain why... When the Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted was published I was lucky enough to get a job in my school's library in the back room where books were prepared for library use or repaired. This book was one of my first that I bound in the plastic dust covers. While carefully putting on the cover I had to read the blurb on the inside of the paper jacket. How could I resist a cover with such an impishly cute main character? The blurb made me want to read the book and so I read the first chapter in between working on other books. I knew I couldn't get away with hording the book so I bought a copy for myself (in paper back). I've since been lucky enough to find a hard back first addition so I'm registering my paperback copy.

Since this book introduced me to the Stainless Steel Rat series and to Harry Harrison as an author, it's still my favorite of all his books. :)

Journal Entry 2 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Thursday, September 18, 2003

Join this perpetual ray!

• Sossap -- Portugal -- can ship in Europe
  • bilbi - France -- can ship internationally
  • hathyia -- Malaysia -- prefers to mail to Asia/Australia
  • hopeypooze -- Australia
  • puppymummy -- can mail internationally
  • Your name here??

Journal Entry 3 by caligula03 at Another bookcrosser in -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA on Friday, October 03, 2003

Release planned for Saturday, October 04, 2003 at Fellow bookcrosser in Akron, Ohio USA.

The bookray begins! :)

Journal Entry 4 by talon2claw from Akron, Ohio USA on Tuesday, October 07, 2003

I got the book today and will try to get it read this weekend. I've got one other book I'm in the middle of that I want to finish. Thanks for adding me to the bookray!

Journal Entry 5 by talon2claw from Akron, Ohio USA on Thursday, October 23, 2003

I was not certain that I would like it as much as I liked the other Stainless Steel Rat book that I've read, but I did! Entertaining to the extreme. One scrape after another for the Rat.

I'll be sending this book out tomorrow so it can continue its journey!

Journal Entry 6 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Monday, October 27, 2003

Arrived in the mail today - thanks!

Journal Entry 7 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Monday, November 24, 2003

How I love a light sci-fi romp from time to time. While there were times when I wanted to pelt the author with copies of Strunk & White for his excessive use of sentence fragments, the story itself was fun and a quick read. I liked the over-the-top characters and nearly Star Trek-like world of the Individual Mutualists. There's loads of Stainless Steel Rat books at the library - I'll have to pick up some in the future!

I hope to send this off soon, though it might get delayed until mid-December since I will be out of town almost every day for the next two weeks.

Journal Entry 8 by phantomreader42 from Warner Robins, Georgia USA on Monday, December 01, 2003

Got this in the mail today for the bookray. Thanks! I'll start it soon.

Journal Entry 9 by phantomreader42 from Warner Robins, Georgia USA on Wednesday, December 10, 2003

Lots of fun. I've liked all the Stainless Steel Rat books so far. And I do think I prefer the original art.
James Bolivar diGriz is an interplanetary criminal mastermind, a crook, a liar, an unrepentant scofflaw, and actually a pretty good guy. He lies, but never to himself. He steals, but not from the poor (because they have no money). And he hardly ever kills. Now he's just gotten out of prison, and is plotting the death of the man who helped put him there, and caused the death of his mentor, The Bishop. During this plan, he gets drafted into the army, and has to save an innocent world from the man he's come to kill. Along the way, he discovers a lot about man's inhumanity to man, and manages to make fools of the entire military. He seems to be the only one who realizes the insanity of a nation enslaving its people in order to fight for freedom.

Thanks for the bookray, and I'll send it on to Crankydragon soon.

Books by Harry Harrison:
Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat
The Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted
The Stainless Steel Rat for President

Journal Entry 10 by Crankydragon from Southaven, Mississippi USA on Monday, December 15, 2003

Received in the mail today. I'm in the middle of three other books right now, but I'll start on this one right away so it doesn't get hung up here. :)

Journal Entry 11 by Crankydragon from Southaven, Mississippi USA on Friday, December 19, 2003

Easy sci-fi. Actually finished it the first day I got it. :) I'm still waiting for the next person on the list to send me his/her address so I can send it on.

Journal Entry 12 by Crankydragon from Southaven, Mississippi USA on Wednesday, January 07, 2004

caligula03 was able to get an address for me, so this book went into the mail on the 3rd January.