corner corner Lost in a Good Book

Lost in a Good Book
by Jasper Fforde | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingnext-weekwing of Spruce Grove, Alberta Canada on 6/2/2003

status (set by Shimmy-crazy): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingnext-weekwing from Spruce Grove, Alberta Canada on Monday, June 02, 2003

Got this one for my good friend mojosmom in Chicago. Hope you enjoy it!
Sent on June 3, 2003.
Kitty Sutherland

Journal Entry 2 by mojosmom from Chicago, Illinois USA on Monday, June 16, 2003

Just arrived, I expect I will lose myself in it!

Journal Entry 3 by mojosmom from Chicago, Illinois USA on Saturday, July 05, 2003

Books, puns, a bit of time travel, a lost Shakespeare play - what could be bad? This second in the Thursday Next series is delightful. No book lover could fail to appreciate the scene at the Swindon Booktastic closing-down sale, as fiction lovers fight over books, and Miss Havisham and the Red Queen try to outwit one another.

Now it's time to look for the Well of Lost Plots.

Journal Entry 4 by mojosmom from Chicago, Illinois USA on Monday, July 07, 2003

This was so good I have to share, so I've set up a book ray.

The players (in order):

arugh48187
PalmersPal - California
atenea-nike - Spain
lucycat - UK

Journal Entry 5 by rampallion from Evanston, Illinois USA on Friday, July 18, 2003

This book arrived yesterday afternoon and had a big slash across the front of the package. Fortunately, my address was still readable, and mojosmom used a bubble-wrap envelope, so the book was only slightly scratched. Who woulda thought that a package could end up in such bad shape after such a short trip?
I've just started this, and it's terrific, as I had expected after the first one. Interesting that the cover design for the sequel is radically different--nowhere near as girly.
Thanks for sharing, kittysutherland and mojosmom! I've wanted to read this book for quite awhile.

Journal Entry 6 by rampallion from Evanston, Illinois USA on Friday, July 25, 2003

An extortionate tax on cheese. A 30,000-seat croquet stadium. A character who communicates only in footnotes. Oh how I love the Thursday Next novels. :-)

Journal Entry 7 by rampallion from Evanston, Illinois USA on Saturday, July 26, 2003

" 'Hold it right there!' said a loud voice. We turned. A SpecOps officer had hopped over the wall and was running towards us.
'Agent Durrell, SO-13,' he announced breathlessly, showing my mother his ID. 'Spank the mammoth and you're under arrest.' "

The Thursday Next novels are Harry Potter for grownups, sort of. Wacky and magical but with literary allusions (and literary illusions, and literary pollutions) and more adult, um, motivations.

I especially liked the Neanderthal subplot and the entropy monitor.

This one goes to Rutchmather as soon as I get his address.

Journal Entry 8 by rampallion at on Wednesday, July 30, 2003

Released on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 at to fellow bookcrosser in postal release, postal release USA.

Sent to rutchmather by mediamail today. Should arrive by early next week.

Journal Entry 9 by Rutchmather from Rock Island, Illinois USA on Tuesday, August 05, 2003

I just got the book this morning. I'm looking forward to a little "unreal" reading.

I also liked the bonus book included in the package "Excuses, Excuses - A Compendium of Rationalizations, Alibis, Denials, Extenuating Circumstances, and Outright Lies". But then, I came equipped from birth: 1] middle male child, & 2] Irish. I'll enjoy some of these and then set it loose in the area. Thanks Rampallion

Comments on "Lost in a Good Book" will follow.

Journal Entry 10 by Rutchmather from Rock Island, Illinois USA on Sunday, August 17, 2003

This volume was a real treat!

I agree the conversations in footnotes is a *hoot*, and whispers in type two sizes smaller than the regular type brought you closer to the book-thus more intimacy :)

Whenever I read or hear the name Goliath I'm going to think inwardly LIAR, LIAR, PANTS ON FIRE!!.

What a purrfect place for a disappearing Cheshire cat too. I might have to *buy* a copy of this book so I can re-live it. It was so different from _anything_ I've ever read before - it was desert for my soul.

Next up is certainlily.

***** Update *****
The book was mailed but has not arrived to certainlily yet so a postal inquiery is being made 9 Sep 03 to see where the book "lost itself" ... stay tuned.

***** Update *****
Looks like the book has *really* been set free. While it is on its own course I will replace it with another copy, provide a new BCID but will link it to this thread so it stays somewhat in tack. Not sure when my next trip to the book store will be but I suspect it will be before September turns to October. My apologies to the ring for the delay. pwd 23Sep03

Journal Entry 11 by certainlily from Somerville, Massachusetts USA on Friday, September 26, 2003

I'm home from college for the weekend and what do I find in the mail box when I got here? This book. I wondered what the package was; I wasn't expecting anything and I thought that the book had been consitered long gone. No, here it is it just took a month and 3 days to get to it's destination.

I can't wait to read it! I'll have to try and balance my homework with this book though and that could be difficult.

Journal Entry 12 by certainlily from Somerville, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, October 21, 2003

"Don't forget the ISBN numbers either-they weren't introduced just for cataloging now, were they?"

Finished this book last night! I enjoyed it very much that I had to buy my own copy. I find these books complicated yet simple. At parts of the books I feel as I'm right in the book with Thursday but then I get to parts where I'm confused. It all works out in the end however. Chapter 8 was my favorite. I was sad when the book came to the end but I'm looking forward to reading the next book.

book wa sent October 22, 2003 to SalDragski

Journal Entry 13 by SalDragski from San Antonio, Texas USA on Monday, October 27, 2003

Just received today. Just started another book then this one next. Sal

Journal Entry 14 by SalDragski from San Antonio, Texas USA on Tuesday, November 11, 2003

Well, not my kind of book. I hadn't read "The Eyre Affair" nor alot of the books/characters mentioned in this book. That's probably why I just wasn't getting it! Off to Palmerpal this week. Sal

Journal Entry 15 by PalmersPal from Ramona, California USA on Monday, November 17, 2003

I just received this book in the mail today and I'm really looking forward to reading it. I've got several bookring books ahead of it, but I'll work on them and get to it as quickly as I can.

Journal Entry 16 by PalmersPal from Ramona, California USA on Saturday, December 20, 2003

Didn't get to read this one but feeling too guilty for having kept it this long. Will be mailing either today or Monday. Sorry for the delay everyone.

Journal Entry 17 by karendawn from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Monday, December 29, 2003

The book arrived today. I've already started reading (and enjoying!) it. Thanks for passing this on.

Journal Entry 18 by karendawn from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Tuesday, December 30, 2003

Just finished reading the book. Excellent. I couldn't put it down. Thank goodness I'll have the third book coming to me soon via another bookring. This one does end on a bit of a cliffhanger, and I just have to find out what happens.

As for this one, the tidbits I especially liked was Pellinore chasing the Questing Beast and the little part about the Canterbury Tales. So many subtle jokes in here. You really have to pay attention to catch them. I caught quite a few, but I'm sure there are many I missed. (And a thank you to my high school freshman English teacher who had us read Great Expectations.)

UPDATE 12/31/03: Sent off to next reader.

Journal Entry 19 by arugh48187 from Edina, Minnesota USA on Monday, January 05, 2004

I am so excited that this one has arrived. I have a few bookrings in front of it, but I am sorely tempted to move this one to the top of my reading list. Maybe I will just use it as incentive to plow throught the ones before it.

Journal Entry 20 by arugh48187 from Edina, Minnesota USA on Friday, March 05, 2004

WOW!! Awesome book. Just as good as The Eyre Affair. As with that one, I am going to have to go out and buy my own copy. (Who said bookcrossing doesn't encourage book sales?) I think my favorite parts in the book are all the little bits about Pickwick. What a cool pet that would be! Only four more people before me on The Well of Lost Plots bookring I am signed up for. I can't wait.

*Note: This book traveled to India with me as I intended to read it there. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time and so it was brought back to the US and read.

Journal Entry 21 by arugh48187 at Post Office at 153rd and Garrett in Apple Valley, Minnesota -- Controlled Releases on Monday, March 08, 2004

Released on Monday, March 08, 2004 at Post Office at 153rd and Garrett in Apple Valley, Minnesota Controlled Releases.

Mailed off to the next in line.

Journal Entry 22 by PalmersPal from Ramona, California USA on Saturday, March 13, 2004

This book came in the mail today. I'm glad to get another chance to read this book. Things are not quite as hectic right now. I have one small book ahead of this one and I'll read this and send it off as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 23 by PalmersPal from Ramona, California USA on Thursday, April 08, 2004

Okay, I'm finally going to start reading this one. I'm so sorry to have taken so long twice. I'm really excited to read this one. I also have The Eyre Affair, which I had hoped to read first, but I'll read it after this one.

Journal Entry 24 by PalmersPal from Ramona, California USA on Monday, April 19, 2004

Okay, I give up! I can't stand this book. I have tried and tried to get into this one, but no such luck. I'll get this off in the mail to the next person on the list by this Saturday.

Journal Entry 25 by Atenea-Nike on Sunday, September 05, 2004

This book *almost* got lost in the Well of Lost Packages. It was sent to my Bilbao address, the one I live at during the academic year, but it didn't get there until the 11th August, when I wasn't there. My landlady's brother, from Paris, lived there during August, yet he didn't think of telling the landlady about the receipt, or she didn't think of telling me, or neither of them remembered that these receipts are valid for 15 days, or they simply didn't care; so when I got to the flat the 30th August and saw the receipt, I despaired and braced myself for a fruitless visit to the local post office. Yet lo and behold! The book was still there, it hadn't been returned to sender, and I of course started reading it immediatly, although I was then in the middle of another book.

As for my impression of the book, I had read The Eyre Affair some time ago, too long ago to have all the details clear in my memory, but after a few pages everything came back to me. And, you know, the first Thursday-Cheshire cat dialogue alone makes the whole book worth reading, yet there are many more juicy bits! :) It has been a delightful reading, and I can't thank you enough, mojosmom.

Journal Entry 26 by Atenea-Nike on Thursday, December 09, 2004

Bookray!

It's a shame that this book remains in my shelves gathering dust, so off it goes to meet more new friends. It will travel along with its friend, #3 in the series, The well of lost plots.

Rules are simple: read the books, journal them when you receive them, when you're done with them and when you mail them; you can mail the books together if you'll read them one right after the other, but if you intend to squeeze a book or two in between these two, please get the first one moving so that the next one in the list can enjoy the fun. Don't hold the books for more than a month in your power, please - let's keep them moving!

Here's the list of participants:
1. Suskiin (Spain)
2. Aisha5gala (Spain)
3. PCSAF (Portugal)
4. dodau (UK)
5. beaner-1 (USA)
6. Sidney1220 (USA)
7. NeedSun (Canada)

Journal Entry 27 by Suskiin from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Sunday, January 16, 2005

Truly I am very happy to have this book (and "The well of lost plots") on my hands. I was wanting to follow the history of Thursday Next because I loved absolutely "The Eyre Affair" and I think I will spend really enjoyable times reading both of them.
Thanks a lot Athenea, for the chance of reading these books! I hope to start them very soon and then send to the next in the list.
By the way, I just organized another bookring linked to this: "The Eyre Affair" (You can see in my bookshelf) to offer the chance to other people who don't know the first in the trilogy (Sorry the bookring is only national-spread into Spain)

Journal Entry 28 by Suskiin from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Some days ago I should have wrote my comments about the book but... well, I absolutely loved this book. Funny, witty and really a very good history following the first in the series: "The Eyre affair". Perhaps I have enjoyed more because I already knew the main character, so I felt really comfortable with her, like somebody you know very well and get well with her. There are some jokes really witty and several chaotic yet funny events, like that in the library sales, trying and get the boxed Farquait novels. The chapter about SEB hunt is funny and I laughed a lot, too.
I just am reading the third in the series, a little bit dissapointed. It's Ok but I feel something lack, I don't know, perhaps not being in Swindon and living into the BookWorld is a little bit strange??? Anyways I am into this now and it has all my interest.

Journal Entry 29 by Suskiin from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Monday, June 27, 2005

I have been trying to get in touch with the next of the list (also participing in my "The Eyre affair" bookring) with no avail, so I will send it to PCSAF in Portugal, as soon as I will get her/his address.

Journal Entry 30 by Suskiin from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Saturday, July 02, 2005

PCSAF asked me to pass the book on because she? is on exams and having too many books to read. So I'll write a PM to the next in the list, expecting the books will be travelling to UK soon.

Journal Entry 31 by Suskiin from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Ready for its travel to UK to visit Dodau! Good trip!

Journal Entry 32 by Suskiin at Controlled Release in Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (7/21/2005 UTC) at Controlled Release in Barcelona, Barcelona Spain

Travelling by mail from Barcelona to UK. Good trip!

Journal Entry 33 by dodau from Ellesmere Port, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Arrived with the sequel safely this morning

Journal Entry 34 by dodau from Ellesmere Port, Cheshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 10, 2005

This was a great book. I'd actually read The Well of Lost Plots before so I knew all the characters and most of the settings despite not having read The Eyre Affair. I love these books, they're funny and clever and they pull you in so you can't put them down. I hope he writes many more.

Journal Entry 35 by dodau at Surface Mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (10/18/2005 UTC) at Surface Mail in Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 36 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Friday, December 09, 2005

This book finally arrived! I have a few bookrings to read ahead of it and Christmas is coming so it may be a while before I can get to it. I am last on the ray so I don't feel rushed.

Thanks for sending this book to me, Dodau.... and for starting the ray, Atenea-Nike.

Journal Entry 37 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Friday, February 10, 2006

Very good book. I think this one was better than the first one in the series. I have a few books I am obligated to send out then I will be reading number three in the series.

My dilemma .. what do I do with them after I am through with them. I don't want them to sit on my shelf yet there is already a bookray currently being advertised on the forums for this book.

PM with with any suggestions, please

Journal Entry 38 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Sunday, May 10, 2009

This book is finally travelling again. Sending it to Shimmy-crazy in London...mailed May 11

Happy reading

Journal Entry 39 by Shimmy-crazy from Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Arrived, cheers Needsun I've put it next on my TBR pile

Journal Entry 40 by Shimmy-crazy from Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, September 21, 2009

Another great Thursay Next book. Will have to get the next one.