corner corner Talk of the Town

Talk of the Town
by Ardal O'Hanlon | Women's Fiction
Registered by wingdavemurray101wing of Granville, New South Wales Australia on 6/11/2009

status (set by v8cars): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingdavemurray101wing from Granville, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, June 11, 2009

New replacement copy for the bookring that went missing in a faraway land.

see previous comments -- (http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/6051400)

A fantastic book. Ardal O'Hanlon makes the flawless crossover from actor/comedian to writer in this book. The character he outlines is that of an unpleasant 19 year old at a loose end, the type which we all come across at some stage. Justifiably one of the 1001 Books You must read before you die.

INTL BOOKRAY - 1001 BOOKS YOU MUST READ BEFORE YOU DIE

7. afraberg
8. Sidney1
9.Tubereader

Then return to me!

Journal Entry 2 by wingdavemurray101wing at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, June 14, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (6/14/2009 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

sent in the mail to Afraberg. hope you enjoy

Journal Entry 3 by afraberg from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Arrived at my home today. Thanks very much for sharing and sending Dave!
I'll read it ASAP.

Journal Entry 4 by Sidney1 from München, Bayern Germany on Saturday, July 11, 2009

Arrived safely today, thanks afraberg. Sounds good so far ...

Journal Entry 5 by Sidney1 from München, Bayern Germany on Saturday, August 08, 2009

The talk of the town is a – somewhat exaggerated - portrait of a young man growing up in Ireland of the 1980s. We follow his ups and downs through a university year, which his kind-of girl-friend Francesca is attending, even if he is not. The tale is told in flash-backs, and tries very hard to build up a suspense, trying to make us interested in whatever happened to poor Francesca.
The dating process as described in the book – getting roaring drunk but making sure you don’t miss that short window where you are drunk enough to chat up a girl but not so drunk you can no longer stand – is for me so very typical of British youth, too, as I met them at university. Sad, really, but well observed. The book is of course somewhat clichéd, and the main character is frankly unappealing, whiney, with no moral standards regarding theft and standing up to people, and warped morals regarding sex due to his catholic upbringing.
I am glad I read the book, although I hope for O’Hanlon that he is better at comedy than at writing.
Sent on to Luxembourg yesterday, 7 August.

Journal Entry 6 by Tubereader from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Saturday, August 22, 2009

This book arrived yesterday (along with two other rings!).

I will update this JE once I start reading it, hopefully it will not be too long...

Thanks Sidney1 for sending and davemurray101 for sharing!

Journal Entry 7 by Tubereader from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Wednesday, October 07, 2009

I've finished reading this book. I must say I do not have such a positive opinion of the book as davemurray101, but neither such a negative one as most of the previous readers (also taking into account the book that went missing).

I found it an easy read, most of the characters were quite annoying, although it came as a bit of a surprise to me that Patrick turned out so badly. Honestly, I did not really see it coming and I did not see him as such a bad person until the second half of the book, probably...

THanks a lot davemurray101 for sharing, this makes one more off the 1001 list for me! As I have your address, I'll post it back to you soon.

Journal Entry 8 by Tubereader at Luxembourg / Lëtzebuerg, Kanton Luxemburg Luxembourg on Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (10/13/2009 UTC) at Luxembourg / Lëtzebuerg, Kanton Luxemburg Luxembourg

The book has been posted back to davemurray101 this afternoon.

Thanks a lot for sharing!!

Journal Entry 9 by wingdavemurray101wing from Granville, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Returned home today. Thanks Tubereader for sending it along. I know you are in the middle of 'The Recognitions' - my advice, have an afternoon free and read it at a desk. This book will be read by a couple of family members before going out anywhere again.

Journal Entry 10 by wingdavemurray101wing at RABCK, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (4/6/2010 UTC) at RABCK, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Posted to V8cars of Brisbane as an RACBK.

Journal Entry 11 by v8cars from Maroochydore, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, April 07, 2010

tbr

Journal Entry 12 by v8cars at A caravan park in Maroochydore in Maroochydore, Queensland Australia on Monday, November 12, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (11/16/2012 UTC) at A caravan park in Maroochydore in Maroochydore, Queensland Australia

great reading