corner corner Mystery with A Twistery Bookbox

Mystery with A Twistery Bookbox
by Various Bookcrossers | Journals
Registered by erishkigal of Salt Lake City, Utah USA on 6/7/2009

status (set by hyphen8): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by erishkigal from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, June 07, 2009

This box is designed to introduce us to authors we haven't read, maybe have never heard of, hence the "twist": no more than two books by any author allowed in the box at the same time. Since the greater the variety, the better chance we all have of discovering new favorites, I'm starting the box with at least 20 different authors. I'll probably include two or three "big names", assuming (uh-oh, dangerous that) it unlikely we've all read all the books by all the biggies. I'm also including a couple by authors who were big names a generation or two ago, hoping that they'll be new to at least some of you. They were to me!

Told the notebooks usually travelling with bookboxes mean we're (legally) not supposed to send the box via media, I decided to buy an actual book/journal to put in this box.. Otherwise, with the luck I've attracted recently, the box would no doubt be opened and confiscated somewhere along the line.

So, please journal here that the box has been rec'd and when you send it on. The lists of books removed and books taken can be here or in the journal itself. Or both, your choice. Please do put a note of some sort in the journal, even if you choose to list here.

What else? Two weeks seems to be the most common suggested time before moving boxes along, so that seems a reasonable aim. If you're going to be much over, please pm, just to let me know. Believe me, I understand life can get chaotic at the most inconvenient times . And please do use confirmation receipt~~ if you buy it online (and print) its super-cheap. And it really helps keep the box on track!

I hope everyone has fun with this box, adding some you love, discoving authors you've never heard of. Or have heard of but haven't read. Yet :)

The box will remain open as it travels, any others who join will be added at the end. Currently, this is a US box, but there are international bookcrossers who would like to participate if anyone joins who has an APO/FPO address.

Journal Entry 2 by erishkigal from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, June 07, 2009

I was trying to order this so shipping was as close as could be for participants.....then I went to the USPS website, and found that media mail is just by weight, not distance. So we'll back and forth a bit. Enjoy!

hyphen8 hawaii
Maurean FL
NMReader NM
4thestate NJ
erishkigal UT<----here

Hopefully by the time this comes home again, I'll have read and released lots of my tbr stacks, and have room on the shelf for all my "new" books :P

Journal Entry 3 by erishkigal from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, June 07, 2009

starting in the box.....

25 books, which include one each by 3 of my faves: JA Jance, Tony Hillerman, and Rita Mae Brown. JD Robb may also be a 'name'; this was the first I'd read, but it does say "bestselling author" on the front cover. Oh, and there is a Nevada Barr, whose books I also love. I think that's it for 'name' authors.

have fun!!!

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, July 18, 2009

Thanks for sending this very well-packed box; I didn't even realize you'd mailed it, so it was a surprise to have it turn up today!

Judging from the postage it weighs 14 pounds, which isn't *too* huge, thank goodness; in addition to the 25 books + 1 journal, there are a number of postcards in the box. I'm keeping one because I couldn't resist - I love the attitude(see journal entry pic)!

I haven't read most of these authors so this will be a good chance to try some new ones.

For anyone who is following along and trying to plan which books to save/include, here are the authors that were initially in the box; I'll list my additions and deletions before I send the box on - hopefully in the next week or so.

Nevada Barr *
Josephine Tey
Peter Whalley
Gloria White
C.Q. Yarbro

* authors I've read (and enjoyed!)

J.D. Robb is a best-selling author at least partly because she's really Nora Roberts..

Journal Entry 5 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Ok, I've sealed the box, so here are the results. I'm taking out 11 books:

Elizabeth Atwood Taylor
Josephine Tey
Peter Whalley
C.Q. Yarbro
And putting in 15 (expanded the box slightly by adding a lid because I wanted to add a few more books but also because I don't pack as well as Erishkigal - even if I kept the numbers the same I couldn't make them fit in the box.):

Anthology: Barbara Collins & Robert J. Randisi, editors
Anthology: Mary Higgins Clark Presents
Lydia Adamson (New Jersey)
Rhys Bowen (New York)
John Burdett (Thailand)
Laura Childs (Louisiana)
Jill Churchill (Illinois)
Diane Mott Davidson (Colorado)
Carolyn G. Hart (South Carolina)
Joe R. Lansdale (Texas)
John D. MacDonald (Florida)
John Madinger (Hawaii)
Barbara Nadel (Turkey)
Hakan Nesser (somewhere nonspecific in Scandinavia)
Qiu Xiaolong (China)
I'm finding mysteries quite helpful with both the 6 books, 6 countries, 6 continents reading challenge and the 50 States Reading Challenge, so I've noted the locales for the books I've added to the box in case anyone else is participating in a similar challenge.

*****

I can't find a bookshelf for kiptrini so I'm hoping the next person is supposed to be kiptrix. I've sent off a couple of PMs to try to find out, and hope to mail out the box before the end of the week.

..Yep, it is kiptrix. Box should be going out tomorrow. I also put in a few bookmarks, so help yourselves. :)

Journal Entry 6 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, July 23, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (7/22/2009 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

The good news: this box was mailed to kiptrix today - media mail, which usually takes about 3 weeks from Hawaii to the US mainland. It weighed 15 pounds.

The not-so-good news: I forgot to add the delivery confirmation (I didn't take it to the post office myself, and I didn't remember about the DC until too late). Sorry!!

Journal Entry 7 by wingkiptrixwing from Summerville, South Carolina USA on Monday, August 17, 2009

The bookbox arrived at my South Carolina home today; it was a slow boat! I have to leave for the hospital very early in the morning (I'm having a knee replacement) so I don't have time to write notes tonight on the books I'll be taking out and putting in, but I should be able to do it in a few days. This is a fun box; lots of writers I've never heard of. Shall report back in ASAP.

Journal Entry 8 by wingkiptrixwing from Summerville, South Carolina USA on Monday, September 14, 2009

Sorry it's been so long--I had no idea how wiped out I would be after my surgery. I've made my selections, and shall get this box in the mail as soon as I can. Unfortunately, I still cannot drive, but rest assured the box is not lost and will be on the go as soon as possible.

I am adding:
Cold Quarry, by Andy Straka
Katwalk, by Karen Kijewski
Live Flesh, by Ruth Rendell
The Triggerman's Dance, by T. Jefferson Parker
Twice Dead, by Paul Bishop.

Journal Entry 9 by wingkiptrixwing at Peoria, Arizona USA on Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (10/6/2009 UTC) at Peoria, Arizona USA

At long last, this bookbox is in the mail! Today was the first day that I have driven since my surgery. I'm sorry it has taken so long. Hope everyone on the list enjoys this interesting selection of mysteries. Thanks, Erishkigal.

Journal Entry 10 by bksfamly from Peoria, Arizona USA on Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Box arrived today

Journal Entry 11 by bksfamly from Peoria, Arizona USA on Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I am taking:

A tangled Knot of Murder by C F Roe
Cutting Edge by John Harvey
Mad Season by Nancy Means Wright
Sweet Poison by William Relling JR

Journal Entry 12 by wingjlautnerwing from San Luis Obispo, California USA on Thursday, October 22, 2009

Got the box with the journal! I am looking through the books now...wooo! So many!!

Journal Entry 13 by wingjlautnerwing from San Luis Obispo, California USA on Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Finally! Sent off to oldbroad today. Confirmation no. 0307 1790 0002 8882 4070

Journal Entry 14 by Oldbroad from Grapeview, Washington USA on Monday, November 02, 2009

Received the box today. The box needs to be replaced, so I will look for a better one and will mail it out on Friday.

Taking out:

The Front
The Lighthouse
S is for Silence

Adding:

Marathon Man
Devil in a Blue Dress
The Good German

Journal Entry 15 by Oldbroad from Grapeview, Washington USA on Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Mailed the box to affinity4books today.

Journal Entry 16 by affinity4books from Bryan, Texas USA on Monday, November 16, 2009

It's here! wow, sometimes media mail is speedy :)
I'm looking forward to making my selections.

Journal Entry 17 by affinity4books at Bryan, Texas USA on Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (12/1/2009 UTC) at Bryan, Texas USA

will be mailed tomorrow
I read Katwalk while it was here, added Spanish Dagger by Albert and But for the Grace by Brooks, and kept Murphy's Law and Mad Season.

Thanks for letting me play- great box!

Journal Entry 18 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Saturday, December 19, 2009

Arrived earlier this week and just now had an opportunity to journal. I hope to make my choices and mail the bookbox back out on Monday.

Added Click Here for Murder by Donna Andrews and The Chocolate Bear Burglary by Joanna Carl

I have removed Sacred and Profane Faye Kellerman and War and Peas by Jill Churchill. Now all I need is the next participant's address.

Journal Entry 19 by 4thEstate from Montclair, New Jersey USA on Sunday, December 27, 2009

The box was waiting for me when I arrived home tonight from spending the holidays with my family. So many books, so little time...I'll start sorting through them, pick out a few and add some of my own. Thanks!

Journal Entry 20 by 4thEstate from Montclair, New Jersey USA on Monday, December 28, 2009

All right, I've gone through the box and made my selections.

Here's what I pulled:

Amber Knight - Katherine John
Shades of Earl Grey - Laura Childs
The Mummers' Curse - Gillian Roberts
The Beekeeper's Apprentice - Laurie B. King

Erishkigal, I'll have the box on its way back to you as soon as I can - hope you've been able to make some room on your TBR shelf. ;)

Journal Entry 21 by 4thEstate at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, New Jersey USA on Saturday, January 23, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (1/23/2010 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, New Jersey USA

Now on its way, at long last, back to Salt Lake City. Delivery confirmation number is 0308 2040 0000 3577 7848. Once again, Erishkigal, thanks for sharing with us!

Journal Entry 22 by erishkigal from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Monday, February 01, 2010

And the box is home again~~though where I'm going to put them....aaaiiii....I don't know!

I've just been enjoying the journal along with a cup of tea :-) Now I'll start digging in~~

Thank you all for joining me!

Journal Entry 23 by wingkiptrixwing from Summerville, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, February 02, 2010

I'm glad the box made its way back to you! That journal should be fun to read all the way through. Thanks for creating a fun book box.

Journal Entry 24 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Since kiptrix started it, I'll chime in too. Glad to hear that the box made it home safely. My books did pretty well - by my count they were picked by 6 different people (besides the 3 that made it all the way back to erishkigal).

Again, I'll copy kiptrix to say thanks; this was fun!

Set the status as traveling since it isn't in my possession.