corner corner Moab is My Washpot

Moab is My Washpot
by Stephen Fry | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wingVekikiwing of London, Greater London United Kingdom on 6/4/2009

status (set by AnonymousFinder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingVekikiwing from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, June 04, 2009

Well, I absolutely loved this book - so much so I've been out & brought a second copy so I can send this out as a bookring. A very interesting read, written with humour & grace - one of the most emotionally truthful autobiographies I've read.This review , taken from Amazon, sums up why i loved it:

Though a little mawkish on occasion, Fry's honesty and admissions are fascinating. An emotional confession full of intelligence and charm - and spleen-venting aplenty. Written in a heartfelt and accessible style. Fry does not set out to portray himself as misunderstood but to tell things as they are. I found the book inspirational and somehow felt better about myself afterwards. It will make you think about your family and your honesty.

***BOOKRING***
This book ring has been completed

Journal Entry 2 by wingVekikiwing at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (6/24/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Popped in the post to the first Participant

Journal Entry 3 by deludeddaydream from -- Somewhere in Hampshire, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 29, 2009

Received safe and sound. I'll start it tomorrow as soon as I've finished my current read. Thanks. :)

Journal Entry 4 by deludeddaydream at Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, July 06, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (7/6/2009 UTC) at Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom

A frank and fascinating journey through the first twenty years of Stephen Fry’s life, this warmly-written and self-effacing story made me feel like inviting him round for tea and giving him a big hug.

Posted to bookmaniac70. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Journal Entry 5 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Wednesday, July 08, 2009

The book is here:-)). Deludeddaydream, my compliments for the extra fast shipping! {{{{ }}}}

Journal Entry 6 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Thursday, July 23, 2009

A honest and sincere memoir of Fry`s school years. It touched me. Some passages were really admirable for their warmth and naked honesty, especially the account of his first love which moved me greatly.
However,I wished a bit for more organizing in his writing.

Journal Entry 7 by bookmaniac70 at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, July 23, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (7/23/2009 UTC) at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom

Sent to next participant.

Journal Entry 8 by wingearthcaroleannewing from Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, July 30, 2009

Hi received this today and will add it to my bundle.

Journal Entry 9 by wingearthcaroleannewing from Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, September 07, 2009

I enjoyed this but got to agree with bookmaniac70 that his writing could have been a bit better organised. I did find myself a little amazed at some of the public school goings on ... or am I just naive?

Journal Entry 10 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, September 11, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (9/11/2009 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to madmadge, next in the bookring.

Journal Entry 11 by madmadge from Alderholt, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 19, 2009

Found this book waiting for me when I came home from holiday today. It's going straight onto my bedside table (I do most of my reading in bed nowadays!) and will be read as soon as I have cleared my other commitments. Thank you earthcaroleanne for sending it on and Vekiki for including me in the ring. I love Stephen Fry and am thoroughly enjoying his current series on UK TV - Last Chance to See.

Journal Entry 12 by madmadge from Alderholt, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 05, 2009

A little confusing at times when I longed for him to get to the point, but I enjoyed it very much on the whole. An extremely intelligent and amusing man, I can see now from his past experiences why he had a nervous breakdown some years ago. As has already been said, I found the tales of public school quite shocking but it seems that public schoolboys simply accepted their lot and saw it as the norm. I must say that he has a wonderful memory of things that have gone on in his life - I'm quite sure I couldn't recall all my past experiences in such great detail.

Thank you Vekiki for including me - I'm glad I read it.

Will PM the next in line and get it on its way ASAP.

Journal Entry 13 by madmadge from Alderholt, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Just a quick entry to say this book has been posted to Qweenoftheworld today - enjoy!

Journal Entry 14 by qweenoftheworld from Los Osos, California USA on Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Will get started on this now.

Journal Entry 15 by qweenoftheworld from Los Osos, California USA on Thursday, November 05, 2009

I have started the book, and I am not liking it, and I don't really see the point in finishing. I have messaged the next person on the list, and will get the book moved on when I receive a reply.

Journal Entry 16 by qweenoftheworld from Los Osos, California USA on Friday, November 13, 2009

I finally got this book in the mail this morning. I am very sorry for taking so long to get the book in the mail. I paid for 1st class, because I know that book rate can take ages sometimes. I paid for tracking, and the postal tracking number is as follows:
0309 0330 0001 8815 7752

Journal Entry 17 by Llednyl from Richwood, Ohio USA on Sunday, November 15, 2009

Was gone over the weekend and found this waiting for me when I got home! I'm currently reading a different bookring - this is next on the list.

Journal Entry 18 by Llednyl from Richwood, Ohio USA on Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I was introduced to Stephen Fry through the game show QI and 'A Bit of Fry and Laurie,' and subsequently fell in love with his humor and wordplay. Aside from this autobiography, the only other book of his that I've read is The Hippopotamus (actually, I listened to his audiobook). Now I'm planning on reading more. This was one of the most honest autobiographies I've ever read. I liked that he just told things as they were in all their painful, heartbreaking, humorous, and joyful glory. He didn't try to gloss over or justify his behavior. Also,I didn't mind his rambling... that's part of his style and it made me feel as though I were just sitting there, listening to him tell me his life story in person. I agree with deludeddaydream - made me feel like inviting him for tea and giving him a hug too!

I found a couple videos of favorite sketches from 'Fry and Laurie'. After reading the book, a whole new light is shed on them. The themes of school, poetry, and language in general tie-in amazingly with what he's written about his childhood experiences. Watch and enjoy!

Poetry Prize: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx_YY_frOvQ
The Subject of Language: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHQ2756cyD8&

Thanks so much for sharing - I have Mellion108's address and will get this sent off in the next couple of days.

Journal Entry 19 by Llednyl at -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Friday, January 08, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (1/7/2010 UTC) at -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Finally got this book mailed off! I apologize for keeping it so long. The holidays made it hard to get this book going. First I was too busy, then the post office was closed, then there was a snowstorm, and then my car broke down. Yikes! But I have prevailed. 'Moab' is now safely on its way to Mellion108. Thanks again for sharing this wonderful read!

Journal Entry 20 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Friday, January 22, 2010

Thanks to Llednyl for sending this my way and thanks to Vekiki for sharing.

I have 3 books that I'm in the process of reading right now. I have to finish those and move them along and then I'll start this one. I'll try not to hold on to it for too long. Thanks!

Journal Entry 21 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Monday, March 15, 2010

An update since I've had the book far longer than intended...I finally started the book yesterday (yes, after all this time). It's the primary book that I'm reading, so I hope to have it on its way in a week or so.

PeggyPostcard has asked to be skipped due to time constraints (I can relate, Peggy!), so I will PM Tamichan for an address. I apologize for the delay.

Journal Entry 22 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Thursday, March 25, 2010

Wow. I'm SO much older than I thought I was before reading this novel. I would have sworn that Fry is quite a bit older than me, but, it turns out, he's really not. *yikes* Where do the years go?

I loved this book. Words, wonderful words. It's one autobiography that I didn't mind reading with a dictionary nearby. ;-) Part autobiography, part "what Fry thinks of the world," and part "I'm really sorry I was such an awful child" apology. I laughed during parts, nodded my head during parts and shook Fry (in my mind only) during parts. Good stuff. Honest and touching. The bit about his first time falling in love is breathtaking.

I admired Fry before from his comedy, and now I respect him even more. What an intelligent, if a bit messed up, human being (I don't say that to be mean..."messsed up" describes so many of us). He has made me laugh for many years. I would have pegged him first as a comedic actor, so I was pleasantly surprised to find out that he thinks of himself first as a writer.

Thanks again, Vekiki, for sharing this. This is yet another book that I probably never would have read without BookCrossing.

As I wrote above, PeggyPostcard, asked to be skipped. I've PM'd Tamichan a couple of times. If I don't track him/her down soon, I'll move on to Prachitulshan.

Journal Entry 23 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Update again: I haven't heard from Tamichan or Prachitulshan (her shelf indicates that she is offline at the moment). Angel135 asked to be skipped.

Looks like I'm returning this book to you, Vekiki!

Journal Entry 24 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Friday, April 02, 2010

UPDATE: Mailed this to Vekiki today. Hope the book reaches you soon!

Journal Entry 25 by Angel135 from Old Washington Village, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Sunday, May 23, 2010

Received this book awhile ago , sorry the comments are late . I have been ill so have not manage to read the book. I am emailing the next on the list today and then send it on.Post the book today to Dublin .

Journal Entry 26 by kiwiinengland at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Safely arrived in the mail

Journal Entry 27 by kiwiinengland at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Tuesday, June 29, 2010

This was a most enjoyable autobiography, which I'm very pleased I read. I found it most enjoyable when I read it in large sections, as the arcs he writes in are large and the tangents many.

I did get annoyed when he insisted on describing himself as middle class, which is like saying the Queen lives in a small place near a busy roundabout in London. And I also skipped some of his quoting from other books and his going on about being a Jew (which really was uncomfortable reading just as the Israel Army slaughtered people taking aid to Gaza).

This is going back to the originator, a completed book ring. Hurrah!

Journal Entry 28 by kiwiinengland at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (7/1/2010 UTC) at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom

Posted small parcel rate via Royal Mail back to the ring originator.

Journal Entry 29 by wingVekikiwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, July 03, 2010

It's home - thankyou all for taking part in this bookring!

Journal Entry 30 by wingVekikiwing at -- By post or by hand --, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (7/7/2010 UTC) at -- By post or by hand --, Greater London United Kingdom

I posted this off today to a (none-bookcrosser) friend... hope he enjoys it :)

Journal Entry 31 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Trowbridge, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 21, 2011

Just starting on it now, will report back.