corner corner Jo's Boys

Jo's Boys
by Loisa May Alcott | Children's Books
Registered by winghippoleinwing of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 6/2/2009

status (set by Viherpippuri): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Bantam Classics 1995
323 pages

From the Publisher
Better known for her novels Little Women and Little Men, Louisa May Alcott continued the story of her feisty protagonist Jo in this final novel chronicling the adventures and misadventures of the March family. Entertaining, surprising, and overall a joy to read, Jo's Boys is nevertheless shaded by a bittersweet tone, for with it Alcott brought her wonderful series to an end.
Beginning ten years after Little Men, Jo's Boys revisits Plumfield, the New England school still presided over by Jo and her husband, Professor Bhaer. Jo's boys -- including rebellious Dan, sailor Emil, and promising musicain Nat -- are grown; Jo herself remains at the center of this tale, holding her boys fast through shipwreck and storm, disappointment... and even murder.

Popular for more than a century, the series that began with Little Women continues to hold universal appeal with its powerful and affectionate depiction of family -- the safe haven where the prodigal can always return, adversity is never met alone, and our dreams of being cherished, no matter what our flaws, come true. With this new edition of Jo's Boys, readers once again have access to a treasured classic by one of America's best-loved writers.

Journal Entry 2 by winghippoleinwing at At meetup, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (9/8/2009 UTC) at At meetup, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases

Summer clearance going to the person who wished for it.
Have fun with the book!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, September 08, 2009

I read Little Women and Little Men countless times when I was little. Can't wait to read this sequel too. Thanks hippolein :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, September 10, 2012

Read in August. Will write a short review later.

Journal Entry 5 by toukokuu at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I enjoyed the story in Little women as a child so the name of the writer and the title caught my eye and I took the book home with me from the meeting tonight. Thanks for the book!

Journal Entry 6 by toukokuu at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, October 24, 2014

It took two years before I finally grabbed this boo from my shelf. At first it was a struggle to read this book, the print is quite small and numerous characters were not familiar to me, I wonder if I ever read Little men or at least I didn't remember anything of it. The characters from Little Women I recognized. I even considered leaving this book unread but then I finally got into it and wanted to find out how the story ends. Old-fashioned values and way of life seemed so pure and beautiful to me. Young people got married or engaged young. Not all of them married though but used their singleness to great deeds instead. Shipwreck and murder bring some excitement to this book. This book is on many wishlists but I'll try to find a Finnish reader for it first before sending it abroad.

Journal Entry 7 by toukokuu at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, October 24, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (10/26/2014 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Kirjamessujen tapaamisessa Fazer Café'ssa kirja etsii uutta kotia / this book is availeble at Helsinki Book Fair meeting, Fazer Café

Journal Entry 8 by Viherpippuri at Kallion kirjasto in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, February 07, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (2/8/2016 UTC) at Kallion kirjasto in Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

mukavia lukuhetkiä!