corner corner Twenty Years A-Growing

Twenty Years A-Growing
by Maurice O'Sullivan | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wingboekenxnlwing of Son en Breugel, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Sunday, November 08, 2009

status (set by bookguide): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingboekenxnlwing from Son en Breugel, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Sunday, November 08, 2009

Hallo vinder, zoals je op de label kunt lezen ben ik een zwervend boek. Misschien een boek dat ik heb gekregen speciaal om het bookcrossen te promoten en misschien heb ik (of MrBoekenxnl)het boek gelezen maar dan schrijf ik een stukje in het volgende journaal.
Je hebt nu de mogelijkheid om via www.bookcrossing.com (anoniem en gratis) er achter te komen waar ik allemaal geweest ben. Tevens kun je jezelf registeren en kun je dit boek in de toekomst volgen. Voor meer Nederlandse informatie kun je terecht op www.bookcrossing.nl

I'am a very special book. I am on a journey and it depends on you where I will be going. So please go to www.bookcrossing.com where you can make (anonymous and for free) a journal entry with my BCID number. You will find this number on the label. You will see where I have been and if you register yourself (also for free) you can follow me on my forthcoming journeys.

Ich bin ein besonderes Buch und reise um die Welt. Auf www.bookcrossing.com kannst du sehen, wo ich schon uberall war. Dann lies mich, und lass mich wieder frei!

Journal Entry 2 by wingboekenxnlwing at OBCZ Griffioen in Amstelveen, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, April 03, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (4/17/2010 UTC) at OBCZ Griffioen in Amstelveen, Noord-Holland Netherlands

This book will travel to the Convention in Amstelveen (NL) and from there who knows?
Enjoy the read!!

Journal Entry 3 by wingbookguidewing from Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Sunday, April 18, 2010

Another one of Boekenxnl's books travels via Amsterdam not so far up the road to Wijchen! I'm not sure if I'll manage to read it myself, or whether I will release it to the expat club's book boxes. We'll see.

Journal Entry 4 by wingbookguidewing at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Monday, September 24, 2012

A pleasant view into a life which has disappeared, growing up in an isolated community on Great Blasket, an island off the Atlantic coast of Ireland, at the beginning of the 20th century in the days before television, radio, computers and telephones. Even news is infrequently brought from the mainland, and not at all in rough weather. Surrounded by nature, fishing for a living and hunting rabbits for food in an island teeming with them, the people live a simple life, the old helping the young, and the women keeping up a running commentary on everything the men do. Occasionally there is some excitement, including scavenging after shipwrecks, caring for a boatload of shipwrecked sailors from the Lusitania, and trips to the mainland for wedding celebrations. Originally written in the Irish language, it's clear where the lilt of present-day English-speaking Irish originates, including the turn of phrase and tendency to use curses as part of normal conversation. In the first part of the 20th century, this tended to be various phrases invoking the devil. Nowadays, it usually takes the form of various words beginning with the letter F. Back then a greeting was the formulaic "God save all here" with the answer "God and Mary save you". A gentler time, which was already disappearing, with the shadow of young people leaving for America in search of their fortune, and even Maurice O'Sullivan himself leaving to become a policeman on the mainland.

Interesting and gently told. It's a shame I didn't manage to take this to the BookCrossing Convention in Dublin, but perhaps that would be taking coals to Newcastle, and it's better to release it so Ireland-enthusiasts here can enjoy it.