corner corner The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible

by A. J. Jacobs | Religion & Spirituality
Registered by wingFiregirlwing of Annandale, Virginia USA on 5/31/2009

status (set by aperry): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingFiregirlwing from Annandale, Virginia USA on Sunday, May 31, 2009

From back cover: Raised in a secular family but increasingly interested in the relevance of faith in our modern world, A.J. Jacobs decides to give in headfirst and attempt to obey the Bible as literally as possible for one full year. To be fruitful and multiply. To love his neighbor. But also to obey the hundreds of less publicized rules: to avoid wearing clothes made of mixed fibers; to play a ten-string harp; to stone adulterers. The resulting spiritual journey is at once funny and profound, reverent and irreverent, personal and universal, and will make you see history's most influential book with new eyes. ...It is part CliffNotes to the Bible, part memoir, and part look into worlds unimaginable. Thou shalt not be able to put it down.

Journal Entry 2 by wingFiregirlwing at Mesa, Arizona USA on Thursday, June 11, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (6/11/2009 UTC) at Mesa, Arizona USA

CONTROLLED RELEASE NOTES: Surprise wishlist RABCK to the ever-wonderful Jare. Congratulations on the new house!!

Journal Entry 3 by jare from Hudson, Florida USA on Monday, June 15, 2009

Arrived safe and sound in NM today, thank you so much! I have been wanting to read this!

Journal Entry 4 by jare at Tampa, Florida USA on Wednesday, January 08, 2014

What a fun concept! To challenge oneself to live a full year as biblically as possible. As a non Christian, I have always had issue with the way people seem to cherry pick the parts of this book that suit them or their church's needs and ignore the rest. So, it was very interesting to read the experiences of Mr. Jacobs as he tried his hardest to adhere to all of the bible's rules. As expected, many were next to impossible to abide by in today's world, and many others are so open to interpretation, you could find dozens of variations on their meaning. It seems as if the author really gained a lot from the experience, and I feel like I did somewhat as well, if only vicariously.

I will find this book a new home soon!

Journal Entry 5 by jare at Aldi on Fletcher in Tampa, Florida USA on Monday, January 13, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (1/13/2014 UTC) at Aldi on Fletcher in Tampa, Florida USA

Left outside, propped against the shopping carts. Enjoy!

Released for the SNAP release game. Snapped word: BIBLE

Journal Entry 6 by aperry at Tampa, Florida USA on Thursday, January 23, 2014

Such a blessing to be able to find this book at the store today. Earlier I was at a book store looking at this very same book downtown and my wife said she liked it but it was too expensive to buy so we left it there.... However later we go to buy groceries from Aldis and see it laying on the counter. I ask if it was for sale and they say someone lost it and let it and that I could have it before they throw it away. I say thanks and keep it to later find that this book has traveled and that I was chosen n by it...lol. So I will read it and let it bless me. God works in mysterious w ways even through a little traveling book. Thanks everyone. May Jesus Christ bless you all.