corner corner The Voyage of the "Dawn Treader"

The Voyage of the "Dawn Treader"
by C.S. Lewis | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by mrsordonez of St. Louis, Missouri USA on 5/30/2003

status (set by Brofro): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by mrsordonez from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Friday, May 30, 2003

I absolutely loved the Narnia series as a child. I have yet to re-read it as an adult, but I do already have my own set of the series. I saved this one from the thrift store. Usually the books travel together, so I find it interesting that this one "escaped" from its brothers. Maybe it can fill a hole in someone else's collection, or can begin someone who is wary of purchasing the whole set before trying. If you want more information about the plot, click here. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 2 by mrsordonez from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Sunday, September 14, 2003

Sending as a surprise book to Aetna-Nike. I hope she hasn't read it yet! (Eres tan educada, me temo que no hay nada que no hayas leido...) I really enjoyed this whole series as a child, and hope to re-read them as an adult.

Journal Entry 3 by Atenea-Nike on Sunday, November 23, 2003

Thank you! I have not read the Narnia Chronicles, despite having heard about them often. It is one of those "things you have to read" that get forgotten in the back of your mind, and will probably never be read unless you receive a gentle prod from destiny or a fellow bookcrosser, as is the case :) I expect to ejoy it a lot, but more important, I thank you for putting it in my way :)

Journal Entry 4 by Atenea-Nike on Thursday, November 27, 2003

I had heard a lot about this series, always good, so I meant to read them someday. That day has come thanks to mrsordoñez :) I had also been warned that there was a certain amount of christian subtext, which I found very subtle all along the book except in the very last page, when it becomes a tad too obvious for my taste. Enjoyable, nevertheless, and I mean to track down and read the otehr books in the series. ¡Muchísimas gracias! :)

Journal Entry 5 by Atenea-Nike at on Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Released on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 at en INLINGUA IDIOMAS, postas 6 in Vitoria, Araba/Álava Spain.

Esta tarde. En el pasillo, en la estantería a mano derecha.

Journal Entry 6 by Brofro from San Jose, California USA on Thursday, August 12, 2004

I read all the Narnia books many times as a teenager. Many focus on the allegorical nature or Christian symbolism, which is obviously there, but should not be noticed intellectually. These books are not a mental exercise. They should be read with a hieghtened and feverish sense of wonder. They use the imagination to give us joy that is given, not deduced. Lewis uses what he knows, Christianity and classic mythology, to stir a longing and satisfaction.
I found The Voyage of the Dawn Treader while I was in Spain trying to learn Spanish, suffering from a lack of communication. The Dawn Treader was like coming home. It was a rediscovery of a memory and a rediscovery of Narnia. What stuck me most this reading was the chacater of Reepiceep (the pure of heart shall see God) and Lucy with the Magician's book. I hope The Voyage of the Dawn Treader brings you places too.