corner corner The Conquerors: Roosevelt, Truman and the Destruction of Hitler's Germany, 1941-1945

Journal Entry 1 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, June 29, 2009

4 cassettes; read by author

If you are new to BookCrossing and found this book and this site, Welcome!

Journal Entry 2 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, November 30, 2009

A subject which is not so commonly explored in the history of WWII is the struggle to decide the future of Germany in order to avoid yet another war. This is the subject of historian Michael Beschloss's latest work. One character who plays a major role in this book is Henry Morgenthau, Roosevelt's Jewish Treasury secretary. Sickened by what he learns of German atrocities, Morgenthau is convinved to promote a plan that calls for Germany to be turned into a series of agricultural cantons with all its industry destroyed. Secretary of State Cordell Hull and Secretary of War Henry Stimson are opposed to the plan and work to undermine it. Roosevelt is seen as an increasingly distant figure. His method of playing one aid off another while keeping his true thoughts to himself ultimately undermines his successor Truman, who upon taking office knows nothing of Roosevelt's thinking and is forced to improvise, Churchill is reduced to irrelevance, his ideas largely ignored by FDR. No one saw the permanent division of Germany or that Conrad Adenaur would turn West Germany firmly towards the orbit of the United States and away from reunion with the East,thereby destroying forever the old style German nationalism. . I learned a lot about some figures such as Morgenthau of whom I knew little. I would recommend it but do not take it as gospel.

One point that bothered me what the author gave Mikhail Sergeyevich Gorbachev credit for the fall of the Berlin wall. Really, the credit should go to Reagan who took such a strong stand against communism and said, " Mr. Gorbachev, TEAR DOWN THIS WALL."

Journal Entry 3 by wingbooklady331wing at By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Monday, December 28, 2009

Released 7 yrs ago (12/28/2009 UTC) at By Mail, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Enjoy! I promised her some books on tape. Also, for RABCK release challenge and auto/bio release challenge.

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, January 14, 2010

What a wonderful surprise: your package arrived today with 4 audiobooks! Thank you very much. :D

Journal Entry 5 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (3/17/2010 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Going out in MyssCyn's audiobook box.

Happy listening!

Journal Entry 6 by LittleWhiteBird from Pasadena, California USA on Thursday, April 29, 2010

Taken from MyssCyn's audiobook box.

Journal Entry 7 by LittleWhiteBird at Pasadena, California USA on Friday, September 30, 2016

(4 cassettes, abridged, non-fiction)
Of course I haven't read the full version, but this seems like a good abridgment. Flows well and you don't feel like you're missing anything.

A perspective on these years of German history that I haven't heard before. Is fascinating to read what Roosevelt and later Truman, and also Churchill and Stalin, and those around them were planning for the future of Germany.
I agree with the author that Roosevelt would have been pretty satisfied with Germany 50 years later.

Journal Entry 8 by LittleWhiteBird at Pasadena, California USA on Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Released 11 mos ago (11/9/2016 UTC) at Pasadena, California USA

I'm putting this into imawinn2's Cassettes are still alive audio book box.

Journal Entry 9 by wingMoody-Bluewing at Meers, Oklahoma USA on Sunday, November 20, 2016

I snagged this from imawinn2's Cassettes are Still Alive Audio Bookbox Ray.

Journal Entry 10 by wingMoody-Bluewing at Meers, Oklahoma USA on Friday, December 30, 2016

Some people are going to really love this book, but I wasn't one of them. I was initially very interested because it started out with what sounded like real audio from a speech by Hitler. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to admit that war history doesn't really perk my coffee. These details were just not gripping for me, apart from a few bits about the decline of Roosevelt's health and Hitler/Braun death conspiracies.