corner corner An Ocean in Iowa

An Ocean in Iowa
by Peter Hedges | Literature & Fiction
Registered by lucy-lemon of Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, May 22, 2009

status (set by susyblue59): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by lucy-lemon from Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, May 22, 2009

Bought this in Oxfam, as I needed a book set in Iowa for the 50 states challenge. All the reviews on the back are pretty impressive - Judy Cook in the Independent thought it was "a beautiful book", but I was really disappointed in it. I thought the characters were all pretty flat, and I didn't really care what was going to happen in it. Oh well.

Journal Entry 2 by lucy-lemon at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, May 28, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (5/29/2009 UTC) at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Sending to hyphen8

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, June 06, 2009

There was an ocean in my mailbox today - from Wales! (How often am I going to be able to say that?!)

Thanks very much; I haven't read What's Eating Gilbert Grape or seen the movie, but I too need an Iowa book for the challenge, so I'll give this a try.

By the way, I like the cover of this edition very much, because it's different..but I keep wanting to pick it up and open it in the wrong direction. :s

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Not what I expected, but I enjoyed it anyway. I had to keep going because I wanted to know what happened to Scotty; I did figure out some things before they happened, but I don't mind that.

I don't think I've ever been to Iowa. But I do know someone who lives there. :)

It's the 29th state, and this site says "Iowa is called The Hawkeye State as a tribute to chief Black Hawk, leader of the Sauk Indians (relocated to Iowa after unsuccessful fighting of settlers)."

I think that's a great reason for the state nickname, but it would've been more fun to believe the explanation here - it says the Hawkeye State gets its nickname "From the name of the scout, Hawkeye, in James Fenimore Cooper's 'The Last of the Mohicans' which was published in 1826." Oh well.

Journal Entry 5 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, August 03, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (8/3/2009 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

By request: this book is going out in the mail in the next day or two...oddly enough, across a couple of oceans and back to the UK!

Free your books - help spread the words!

Journal Entry 6 by HayleyF from Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Yet to read this but looking forward to it. Especially as it's come from somewhere so far flung!
The best mail I have received all year! :-)

Journal Entry 7 by HayleyF at Vrangsholmen (Sommarland) in Tanum, Bohuslän Sweden on Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (8/18/2010 UTC) at Vrangsholmen (Sommarland) in Tanum, Bohuslän Sweden

Nice book, easy to read and good main character. Expected more as Gilbert Grape is a favourite of mine (the film, haven't read the book).

Left in a bedroom on the 3rd floor of Vrangsholmen.

Journal Entry 8 by susyblue59 at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Saturday, October 08, 2011

Having watched and loved What's Eating Gilbert Grape, I was delighted when my son's girlfriend lent me this book. I actually had it for ages, sitting on my bedside table as it just didn't feel the 'right' time to read it. But now I wished I'd read it earlier as I loved it. It captures the stifling, small town atmosphere of mid America and I'm so full of admiration that an adult can recapture and write about the innocence and naivety of childhood - a beautiful, gentle book that is poignant, sad and yet curiously uplifting. Read it! I've left this book in Hebden Bridge, West Yorks now, so please get in touch if you find and read it.