corner corner Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fictions and Illusions

Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fictions and Illusions
by Neil Gaiman | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by sothisdhampir of Fort Worth, Texas USA on Sunday, May 17, 2009

status (set by shelj7k): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by sothisdhampir from Fort Worth, Texas USA on Sunday, May 17, 2009

A collection of short stories and poems by Niel Giaman, most of the have a horror/physcolgical thriller type feel to them, and others are totally diffrent.

Some of the things you'll find in here are world where an elderly woman finds the Holy Grail at a thrift shop, the woe of Santa Claus, some blantly erotic imagry, a vampire love poem, alot of Lovecraft influence and the real story about Snow White.

Bookray List
hyper7 (South Africa /INTL)
Jonniboi (UK / UK shipping
Lottiotta (UK/UK shipping)
KiwiinEngland (Ireland/UK)
shelj7k (Ireland / INTL shipping).
tamichan (Tokyo/INTL shipping)<=== last known to be traveling here.

How the bookray works:
* Someone will PM you for your address, PM them back and provide your address.
* When you receive the book, please make a journal entry letting everyone know that you received it .
* Put the book at the top of your TBR pile (under other rings/rays that arrived first) .
* Read the book (take your time and enjoy the book, don't feel rushed to finish it but try to get it out to next reader within two - four weeks) .
* When the end is in sight, check the book's journal and PM the next person to get their address .
* Finish the book, make another journal entry and let everyone know what you thought of the book .
* Send the book to the next person on the list (please use the cheapest shipping method available), make release notes (Controlled Release) to let everyone know that it's in the mail.
* The last person on the list gets to keep the book, or release it however they see fit! :)

Journal Entry 2 by sothisdhampir from Fort Worth, Texas USA on Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Well I must say I am impressed. Gaiman clearly has talent, I shall have to pick up more of his works. My favorite story still has to be "Snow, Glass, Apples." that story is the perfect example of this distrubing, dramatic and creepy quality of work that I strive for in my own novice writing.

I think I am going to bookray this one. :)

Journal Entry 3 by sothisdhampir at Secunda, Mpumalanga South Africa on Thursday, July 09, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (7/9/2009 UTC) at Secunda, Mpumalanga South Africa

On to Hyper7, happy journey little book! :)

Journal Entry 4 by hyper7 from Secunda, Mpumalanga South Africa on Monday, July 20, 2009

Got it from the PO today, it is going right on top of the TBR pile.
Looks interesting!

Finished it over the weekend,and here is my opinion:
I have never been a fan of short stories, but there are a few good ones here. My favourite was "Chivalry", with "Murder Mysteries" and "Snow, Glass, Apples" also deserving a mention.

Journal Entry 5 by hyper7 at -- Controlled release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Friday, July 31, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (7/30/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sent to the UK as a bookray.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by Jonniboi from Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, August 08, 2009

Just received this through the post, thank you very much and I am looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 7 by Jonniboi from Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 30, 2009

This is what I thought of the book, I shall be sending this to the next person in line really soon!

~The Wedding Gift~
This is found in the introduction so you should read it! I really enjoyed this story, with the little twist, it was very good!

~Chivalry~
I didn't understand this, we weren't told things that were needed, such as why Galaad needed the Holy Grail and I didn't understand the twist at the end, that's if it were a twist!

~Nicholas was...~
This one is really clever and made me a bit surprised. Very well created!

~The Price~
This one saddens me, I feel really sorry for the black cat and the Narrator should have tried to save him

~Troll Bridge~
This was a sweet little story and very different from the book it was based on, I'm surprised Neil Gaiman even thought of it like this

~Don't ask Jack~
Another weird story. I don't quite understand it! Because if they die he will not be able to wait forever because he'll never see them! I'm confused!

~The Goldfish Pool & Other Stories~
Another one that didn't quite make sense, I got very confused with it & didn't enjoy it!

~The White Road~
This was cleverly written, I was bored with it at the start but then it increased with a nice little twist

~Queen of Knives~
What a sad, sad story! It was really good and I can see how the author had to say it was not true as it's very believable

~Changes~
I didn't understand this one, and it didn't make sense

~The Daughter of Owls~
A nice little story, but the language didn't help, too complicated for me

~Shoggoth's Old Peculiar~
This story is certainly peculiar and I still can't get my head around it!

~Virus~
This was a weird story but it tends to happen to people who play games a lot

~Looking For the Girl~
When I started this I expected to hate it or at least think of it as weird, but it's a nice little story well worth a read!

~Only the End of the World Again~
At first I was bored with the story and pretty confused, but as the story progressed I enjoyed it more and more, but to fully understand this story, I think I'd need to venture into H.P. Lovecraft novels and see if this story will make more sense.

~Bay Wolf~
I've been eager to read this since I saw the title, and it was a good story after I realised it was the sequel to "Only the End of the World Again"

~We Can Get Them for You Wholesale~
A very clever story, which has kept me thinking, however, the ending wasn't much of a surprise!

~One Life, Furnished in Early Moorcock~
I was expecting a twist at the end but there's no sign of it. I really got into this story and enjoyed it

~Cold Colors~
That was difficult, to spell colours the American way. Anyhow, I didn't like this story, it didn't work and didn't add up and really boring, I nearly fell asleep reading it

~The Sweeper of Dreams~
This one confused me, is it good to have him around or not? Surely most people like to have dreams

~Foreign Parts~
This one has got me thinking, like a few other stories have! I don't quite understand what happened and how Simon became cured, it was such a change, but I feel that the story wasn't quite finished

~Vampire Sestina~
I have never read a sestina, but then I've never been a fan of poems! I think sestina's are cleverly made and I also think that this poem didn't work for me, maybe I'm too young to understand, all these stories (apart from a few) were written before I was born, so maybe I am too young to understand them

~Mouse~
This was a story I couldn't get into, I'm thankful for it being short

~The Sea Changes~
This was another weird story but I think I got the gist of it. It just wouldn't be the sort of story I'd like to read

~When We Went to See the End of the World by Dawnie Morningside, age 11 and a quarter~
Well a quarter is actually put into 1/4 but I didn't know how to do it without making it weird. Anyhow this story really made me upset, I sympathised with the girl as I have wished one of her wishes, before. She seemed to be an 11 year old like I was as she was extremely talk-active and never stuck to a certain subject (however I had better grammar) but a good story overall

~Desert Wind~
This is probably the shortest story in this anthology that I have actually understood. I have read it twice now as I enjoyed it that much!

~Tastings~
I don't know if I understood this very well, but something she said gave me a good conclusion, but I could be wrong.

~Babycakes~
Could this story emphasise God or not? I don't know but it is a clever little story

~Murder Mysteries~
Or should I say City of Angels? I could understand why Neil Gaiman wanted to call this City of Angels! And I like the ending, as it's a slight twist, where there's no place like home! I loved this story and think it's one of the best out of the whole collection!

~Snow, Glass, Apples~
I began to eat my words on what I said on the last story, as this was, by far the best story in the collection! Snow White was my second favourite childhood movie, where Mary Poppins was my first. This story is a very different take on the movie/book, and I shall never think of the real Snow White story properly again! But I must say I missed the song the dwarfs sang, it was the only let down so I filled it in and looked away from my book and sang it in my head: "I ho, I ho, it's off to Work I go"

Overall this book made a big impression on me as you can tell and that's why I have given it 8 stars! The last story gave a huge impression on me and I was ready to give this book a 6 stars before I read the last 2 stories making it receive 8 stars!

Journal Entry 8 by Jonniboi from Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 30, 2009

oops! duplicate entry sorry

Journal Entry 9 by Jonniboi from Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 30, 2009

oops! duplicate entry sorry

Journal Entry 10 by Jonniboi at Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (9/15/2009 UTC) at Swansea, Wales United Kingdom

sent out today, I'm sorry that I kept it for quite a long time, The next person in line should receive it soon, I posted it 2nd class so could take a little while!

Journal Entry 11 by Lottiotta from Aberdovey, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, September 17, 2009

Just received this, and I'm really looking forward to it! I just started another book earlier today, but it'll be a quick read so I'll get to this in a couple of days. :) If anyone wants to keep track they can see it on my Bkkeepr page.

Thank you to sothisdhampir and jonniboi!

1st October 2009
So, I finished this a couple of days ago but I've been too busy to get my act together. I've just PMed KiwiinEngland to ask for an address. :) Some stories I just didn't sit well with, but many made me go, "oooooo. Cool."

Thanks again!

I list my bookrings at The Bookring Directory!

Journal Entry 12 by Lottiotta at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, October 01, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (10/1/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

This is going to KiwiinEngland! :) Enjoy!

Journal Entry 13 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, October 16, 2009

Safely arrived with me, sorry for the delay in journalling but I was away with work.

Journal Entry 14 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, October 19, 2009

There were a few stories in here I particularly liked - Old Nicholas and the one about Rebooting/curing cancer spring to mind.

The rest of the book often read as a series of stories written for a community college course about creative writing. Some just seemed to play with the style of writing and had very little content. Others were definatley "write in the manner of [insert famous author here]. His stories based on technology reminded me of really bad Stephen King (more specifically the terrible book called The Cell).

Overall a disappointing collection by Gaiman.

Journal Entry 15 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (10/20/2009 UTC) at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

Posted to the next on the list via An Post. They are 1.5 hours stroll from the post office, so it will be interesting to see how long it takes for the book to get there.

Journal Entry 16 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I'm not sure about 1.5 hours stroll to the Post Office(???!!), but the book arrived safely to my door this morning! Thank you KiwiinEngland.

Journal Entry 17 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Tuesday, November 03, 2009

I've just finished Smoke and Mirrors and overall enjoyed it. Some of the stories I liked far more than others, Chivalry, Troll Bridge and Snow, Glass, Apples were among my favourites. I've never read much Lovecraft but I found lots of other influences there also. The story The White Road, was amazingly similar to a Grimm's fairytale called The Robber Bridegroom, for example. The stories that made me think the most were Mouse, Babycakes and Changes. Not the best of Gaiman's writing perhaps, but entertaining enough.

I have just received tamichan's address and will be forwarding the book either this evening or tomorrow morning. It has a lot further to travel this time, all the way to Tokyo.

Many thanks to sothisdhampir for the opportunity to take part.

Journal Entry 18 by shelj7k at by mail, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (11/3/2009 UTC) at by mail, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

On to the next reader.