corner corner The English Patient

The English Patient
by Michael Ondaatje | Literature & Fiction
Registered by ShadowPi of Watford, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on 5/29/2003

status (set by bartonz): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by ShadowPi from Watford, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 29, 2003

Went a bit mad today and bought lots of new books. In my to read pile.

Journal Entry 2 by ShadowPi from Watford, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Finally got round to reading this. It was quite hard to get into at first, but well worth the effort. It's quite a gentle look at how 4 very different people come together after the end of the war in Europe but before VJ day and how they each cope with the horror's of war and loss and they have had to endure. Guess I'll have to go and see the film now!

Offered on Relay site - accepted by brewski.

16/01/04 Posted to Brewski.

Journal Entry 3 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Wow, this book came so quickly! I was surprised to find this in my mailbox today. Thanks a lot, I'm looking forward to reading this one.

Journal Entry 4 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, December 12, 2006

It is a good thing that I remembered ShadowPi's comments that this book started a bit slowly, or else I may have lost heart and given up reading this in the first 1/3 of the book. Luckily, I decided to continue on and was rewarded with a richly detailed story that kept me reading page after page. I feel as if this novel had much more detail than the movie (which is usually the case when comparing a novel and a movie), but then again it could just be that I saw the movie quite some time ago.

All in all I enjoyed this a fair bit and will now pass it on to bartonz.

Journal Entry 5 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Thursday, December 21, 2006

Going into the Canada Post mailbox tomorrow morning.

Journal Entry 6 by wingbartonzwing from Bellevue, Washington USA on Thursday, January 04, 2007

Thanks for the RABCK brewski! There'll be one in the mail to you soon :)