corner corner Wicked Plants: The Weed That Killed Lincoln's Mother and Other Botanical Atrocities

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, May 15, 2009

I stopped by Barnes & Noble today - just for a latte, I swear - but I saw this handsome hardcover on one of the recent-release tables and couldn't resist. It's a handsomely-illustrated book about plants of varying degrees of dangerousness, from painful (habanero peppers) to deadly (castor beans), with tidbits of history along the way.

As both an avid gardener and an avid reader of true-crime books, I have a more than passing acquaintance with the harm that can result from ingesting - or sometimes just being near - certain plants, but while I found lots of old favorites in this book I learned quite a bit of new things as well. Including that it was white snakeroot that caused the death of Abraham Lincoln's mother; seems that the livestock would eat it, and if they did so in sufficient quantity, it would poison the milk and meat. More than a few people died from this before the cause became widely known - and many of those might have been spared if it weren't for prejudice against women doctors, as it was a woman doctor in Illinois who first recognized the plant that caused the problem and led an effort to eradicate it in her community. But it took almost another century before the knowledge became widespread.

I marked so many passages that I can't cite them all, generally a good sign. A handsome book and a good introduction to the subject.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, July 23, 2012

I'm offering this for a book ray. [See the forum thread here to sign up.]

The book is a hardcover weighing about 13 ounces. Participants can get media-mail postage estimates at the USPS site here ( http://www.usps.com ).]

Bookray instructions:

When you receive the book, please journal it, and PM the next person in line for their address so you'll have it ready when you've finished the book.

Note: even if you've sent books to that person before, please PM them before mailing this one, to confirm that the address is correct and that they're able to take on a bookray book at this time.
Try and read the book promptly - ideally, within one month of receiving it. (If you expect to take longer, you can request to be put at the end of the list. If you find you're swamped with other books when the person before you contacts you about the book, you can ask to be skipped, and then let me know whether you'd like to be moved down the list or dropped entirely. If you receive the book and find it's taking longer than you'd planned to get through it, I'd appreciate an update in its journal entries or on your profile, just to let me and the other participants know you haven't forgotten it.)

When you're ready to pass the book along, please add your comments about the book and indicate where you're sending it, either through a journal entry or through the controlled-release-note option using your country/state/city as the location. If you find that you're having problems contacting the next person in line, or don't think you can manage to mail the book as originally agreed, please let me know; I'll be glad to try to work something out.

Participants, in mailing order:

FeistyPom2Love [CA]
judygreeneyes [CA]
minesayn [OH]
HI77 [FL]

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, July 29, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (7/30/2012 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

This book's on its way to BCer quietorchid in Minnesota, to kick off the bookray. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 4 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Friday, August 03, 2012

The Mailman came! The Mailman came! I promptly ripped open the package and sat down and read the intro before taking off to be late to work. Hey-- It's an interesting book, besides I'm the boss, although I try not to abuse that (but it's a cool book, I HAD to read the intor!). Will read this promptly and send on its travels. Thanks for the opportunity to read the book, it looks like a blast.

Journal Entry 5 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Saturday, August 04, 2012

This was good. I read it very fast, the pictures are marvelous. I must admit I was a little disappointed, as I had hoped for more details on the wicked ways things worked, rather than a clear and comprehensive detailing of common plants that you should be leery of. For example, I was expecting information on how Oak trees react to threats by chemically increasing tanin when other Oaks near them come under attack by insects. Never mind, too much curiosity in one head.

Ah well, after so many years of reading garden books, I should not be disappointed that I knew this stuff already, just had never seen it laid out in a clear and concise style before.

Journal Entry 6 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (8/15/2012 UTC) at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Off to the next reader!

Welcome to Bookcrossing, where Books roam freely! I hope you enjoy the book, and leave a journal entry so I can see where the book ended up. You can remain anonymous if you'd like, or join and follow the book's travels throughout the world! If you join, please mention me, quietorchid, or any other journaller as the referring member. The site is free, secure, and non-spamming. Take a look around, and then go read!

Journal Entry 7 by dicentragirl at Shoreline, Washington USA on Tuesday, August 21, 2012

After a pretty crummy Monday, this was a nice little surprise to have waiting for me when I got home last night!

One book ahead of this one, but I'm really looking forward to reading it. I went to college for botany/forestry so this appeals to the plant nerd in me. :)

Journal Entry 8 by dicentragirl at Shoreline, Washington USA on Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Nerdalicious!!

Super interesting stuff. Mailing this along with Wicked Bugs today

Journal Entry 9 by glade1 at Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Monday, February 18, 2013

Received in the mail on Saturday. Thanks! This is behind several other books promised to BCers but I'll get it moving again as quickly as I can!

Journal Entry 10 by glade1 at Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Monday, March 25, 2013

I enjoyed this little volume. It is lighthearted but informative, although not in-depth. It is the sort of book that makes me want to go dig up more information on this topic. I have a "brown thumb" and do not enjoy gardening, and have never had a great affinity for plants, but these are some amazing examples. I am constantly amazed by nature and the bizarre adaptations its plants and animals resort to.

I like the quaint design of this book and its companion, Wicked Bugs, as well, but at times I wished for photographs rather than line drawings. Guess that's what I'll have to look for if I ever go digging for more information on wicked plants and bugs!

Thank you, GoryDetails, for starting this book on its journey. I have finished Wicked Bugs as well and hope to move them along soon - gotta scrape up some postage money.

Journal Entry 11 by glade1 at Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (4/9/2013 UTC) at Greensboro, North Carolina USA

Mailed to JDT.

Journal Entry 12 by JDT at Pleasanton, California USA on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

nice surprise in my mailbox - I had almost forgotten about this bookray.

I like the size, title, cover art, and ribbon of this book!

Thanks, glade1 - and GoryDetails for starting this ray.

Journal Entry 13 by JDT at Pleasanton, California USA on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

I enjoyed the pleasing layout and drawings in this book. Good to remember the author's disclaimer - she's neither a scientist or botanist. That said, I'm interested to get more info on several plants mentioned that are in our garden right now: azaleas, rhododendrons, heavenly bamboo...

What I'll remember is her caution in the prologue - awareness that just because it's "natural" - those berries along the trail, that tea made from leaves someone gathered - doesn't guarantee it's safe to ingest or rub on your skin!

Sending on to FeistyPom2Love - enjoy!

Journal Entry 14 by wingFeistyPom2Lovewing at Carpinteria, California USA on Tuesday, April 23, 2013

This book arrived safely in the mail! Thank you for sending it to me JDT. I'm finishing up another book I've begun reading recently, so will start this one as soon as I am done!

Journal Entry 15 by wingFeistyPom2Lovewing at Carpinteria, California USA on Thursday, May 02, 2013

I finished reading this book today and enjoyed reading it! It is amazing how wicked some plants are.... Especially ones pertaining to the foods we eat.

I enjoyed reading the Deadly Dinner segment (pages 37-41), where I learned that cashews are related to poison oak, poison ivy, and poison sumac (Who knew??)... "The nut itself is perfectly safe to consume, but if it comes into contact with any part of the shell in harvest, it will give the person who eats it a nasty rash." (page 40)

I was also found it fascinating to learn that corn can cause niacin deficiency aka pellagra. (page 39)

I also enjoyed discovering that Burdock (page 218-219) inspired Swiss engineer, George de Mestral, to create Velcro!

The Stinging Tree native to Australia is one painful plant I hope to NEVER encounter (pages 167-168)!! It's difficult to believe that "simply brushing up against this plant results in unbearable pain that may last up to a year. In some cases, the shock of the pain can be so great that it brings on a heart attack." Yikes!!

There is a plethora of fascinating information found within the pages of this hardback book! I could go on listing the plants and trees, I found fascinating and why, but I'll end now.

I have the mailing address for judygreeneyes and will mail this book off to her soon.

Journal Entry 16 by wingFeistyPom2Lovewing at San Diego, California USA on Friday, May 03, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (5/3/2013 UTC) at San Diego, California USA

I mailed this book off to judygreeneyes!!

Journal Entry 17 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Saturday, May 11, 2013

The book is here!!

Another fascinating book from Amy Stewart. Not quite as creepy as the bug book, but equally interesting.

Journal Entry 18 by minesayn at Huron, Ohio USA on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Received in the mail a day or so ago (sorry to take two days to journal it, but I have living at the library's annual book sale for the past four days), but am looking forward to reading it. Also received a second unexpected book, but looking forward to reading it as well. Thanks for both!

Journal Entry 19 by minesayn at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (7/23/2013 UTC) at Fort Myers, Florida USA

From poisonous to dangerous to downright scary, Amy Stewart details the gruesome details of plants who can cause extreme harm to people, animals, other plants, and even waterways like rivers, lakes, and ponds. She presents facts interspersed with anecdotes about the various plants and their methods of protecting themselves while harming others in the process.
Ironically, many of the "poisons" are utilized as medicinal products in both the allopathic (traditional medicine) and homeopathic communities of healing. In other words, one man's poison may be another person's drug.
The drawings and etchings throughout are particularly noteworthy. The bibliography allows the reader to go further into the study of plants as some of the plants are mentioned only in passing. Overall, a fun, if a bit frightening, read. 7 stars...now sending to the next person in the ray along with another book!

Journal Entry 20 by HI77 at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Saturday, July 27, 2013

Pulling up the roots

of your expectations,
can spread the vine of death