corner corner Serena

Serena
by Ron Rash | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingcanongatebookswing on 8/5/2009

status (set by wendyv): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingcanongatebookswing on Wednesday, August 05, 2009

The year is 1929, and newlyweds George and Serena Pemberton arrive from Boston in the North Carolina mountains to create a timber empire. Serena is new to the mountains – but she soon shows herself the equal of any worker, overseeing crews, hunting rattlesnakes, even saving her husband’s life in the wilderness. Yet she also learns that she will never bear a child. Serena’s discovery will set in motion a course of events that will change the lives of everyone in this remote community. As the Pembertons’ intense, passionate marriage starts to unravel, this riveting story of love, passion and revenge moves toward its shocking reckoning.

This book is starting its BookCrossing journey in a Ray.

1. KiwiinEngland
2. karen07814
3. arturogrande
4. katrinat
5. mafarrimond
6. shovelmonkey1 (willing to ship internationally)

Journal Entry 2 by kiwiinengland from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, August 18, 2009

This arrived while I was travelling for work. Thank you for starting this ray Canongate books. I really like how your book cover designs with the folded cover ends.

I will read this after the ring I am presently reading.

Journal Entry 3 by kiwiinengland from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, September 02, 2009

I read this book immediately after The Conegatherers by Robin Jenkins, another book published by Canongate.

Both books involve forest workers, deal with class distinctions and how where you come from alters your point of view, and sets out themes of anger and revenge. But while The Conegathers is a succinct, tight book with a main cast of five Serena is an epic story with a main cast of ten and dozens of extras.

Serena is set against the huge landscape of America’s logging domain, where Serena and her husband Pembleton own and cut large tracts of trees. Pembleton seems to be a nasty, spoilt person until he meets Serena, when he is drawn into her evil and together they set out to create an empire based on destruction (openly the destruction of the trees, but also the destruction of any that oppose them or fails to conform with their plans).

This book was an interesting read and I enjoyed the details of how life in a logging camp was governed during the depression in America. However a number of events stretched the point of credibility and the continuing introduction of many characters (mostly workers who cut the trees only to die three pages later or investors who appeared at one dinner party and then went unmentioned) was confusing.

The coda at the end was unnecessary and disappointing as it wrapped up things too neatly.

Thanks Canongate books for another interesting read. I will send this off to the next reader.

Journal Entry 4 by kiwiinengland at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Friday, September 04, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (9/5/2009 UTC) at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom

Posting to the next person on the book ray via Royal Mail (second class post). I hope they enjoy it as much as I did.

Journal Entry 5 by karen07814 from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, September 12, 2009

Unfortunately for this book I read it hot on the heels of Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver so it had a lo of comparisons to be made and a hot contender. That said,only the area and environment was similar with similar eco points through each book. This one was far darker than Kingsolver's featuring a murder or two and a main female character who comes across as a sociopath. Altogether not an enjoyable read and I won't be rushing out to buy his next. Sometimes I wonder what the Americans would read if we didn't post our own excellent UK books over to them!
Hopefully the next reader will enjoy it more.

Journal Entry 6 by karen07814 at Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 17, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (9/17/2009 UTC) at Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom

over to you

Journal Entry 7 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 27, 2009

This looks an interesting read. I too have just read The Cone Gatherers by Robin Jenkins, so I'm looking forward to comparing the two.
I've got a couple of ring books ahead of it, but I'm planning to get to it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 8 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, November 14, 2009

I'm sorry - I've tried with this one, but I just can't get into it. I've had it too long already and I know there are others waiting for it, so I'm giving up and sending it on to the next person on the ring. My first Canongate that I've not loved.

Journal Entry 9 by katrinat from Southend-on sea, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Arrived today, looks like another great book from Cannongate

Journal Entry 10 by katrinat from Southend-on sea, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, January 21, 2010

This book just isn't holding my interest, when I'm reading it I'm ok but I have no compulsion to pick it up again. Going to give up and send it on to the next person in line.

Journal Entry 11 by katrinat at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, January 25, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (1/26/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Hope you enjoy this ore than I did. Thanks Cannongate for sending out, this is the first one of your books I haven't completed, but loved the opportunity to try

Journal Entry 12 by mafarrimond from Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 02, 2010

The books arrived today. Thank you.

Journal Entry 13 by mafarrimond from Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, March 06, 2010

The book provided a good insight into the workings of a logging camp during the great depresion; its workers and the effect on the environment. The characters on the whole were believable however some like the protagonist stretched the imagination somewhat.

Thanks for sharing the book.

Journal Entry 14 by mafarrimond at Lancaster, Lancashire United Kingdom on Saturday, March 06, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (3/6/2010 UTC) at Lancaster, Lancashire United Kingdom

Posting on to shovelmonkey1.

Journal Entry 15 by shovelmonkey1 from Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, March 19, 2010

This book arrived today and i read a few pages on the train earlier - already getting the feeling that Serena may be a character of the steely eyed quietly bonkers type. Will read and probably try to ray it forward at some point soon. Thanks for including me!

Journal Entry 16 by shovelmonkey1 from Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Despite my initial misgivings based on the cover (pseudo-historic chick lit-like)I actually quite enjoyed this book. Quickly understood that eponymous Serena was definately some kind of sociopath and from there on in was not overly surprised by her actions but read on looking forward to having my suspicions confirmed! Also enjoyed the descriptions of life in the logging industry - I found the cast of loggers to be quite quirky and not unlike the mechanicals in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Nights Dream because they provided a narrative and at times discussed the morality of the main characters. Was not amazed by the ending and felt I could have done without the post script but overall am glad to have read this. Thanks Canongate!

Now trying to ray this forward to continue this Canongate ray.

Journal Entry 17 by shovelmonkey1 from Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 07, 2010

This book is now ready to set off again - i've tried to continue this ray but only had two takers although they are both on opposite sides of the world so this book will get to do a lot of travelling!

Participants in the next part of the bookray are:
Wendyv- Australia /Intl
Rrrcaron- USA

Rrrcaron, once the book gets to you it's up to you what happens to it. You can read it and keep it or send it travelling again. Thanks for participating!

Journal Entry 18 by shovelmonkey1 at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (4/7/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Now travelling to Australia to a new home. Hope you enjoy this book.

Journal Entry 19 by wendyv at Blind Bight, Victoria Australia on Monday, July 05, 2010

Arrived during the week. I will get to it shorlty - I lOve school holidays!