corner corner The Big Over Easy (Nursery Crime Adventures 1)

The Big Over Easy (Nursery Crime Adventures 1)
by Jasper Fforde | Literature & Fiction
Registered by TheLostBook of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, May 08, 2009

status (set by Ametisti): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, May 08, 2009

This is the first in Jasper Fforde's Nursery Crime series.

We're starting a bookray for it, as part of The Lost Book project. The Lost Book is an animated web series which you can help write. It follows the adventures of investigative journalist, and BookCrosser, Aileen Adler and her dog Watson as they try to solve the crime of a stolen book.

As well as inviting you to help write the web series, we have a creative writing competition to create the stolen book. Jasper Fforde is our special guest writer. He has set the scene with two intriguing newspaper articles about the book - the journal of a 2004 expedition to Arthur Conan Doyle's Lost World. We're inviting 100-word entries each week and will gradually reconstruct the missing book from these microstories.

Here's Aileen Adler's review of The Big Over Easy, taken from a copy that she wild released in Edinburgh:

This is great!

It's the first in a new series by Jasper Fforde. (There aren't many phrases better than "a new series by Jasper Fforde", are there? Well, apart from "would you like another cupcake?". And "these drinks are on me". And "we think you deserve a pay rise." But my point still stands.)

Where was I?

A new series: this book centres on DI Jack Spratt and his Nursery Crimes Division. As the least glamourous department in Reading Central Police Station, Spratt has limited funding, hardly ever makes the papers, and his prospects of prime-time TV fame are distant. However, he does have quite a reputation. Let's just say tall people tend to keep their distance.

So, the death of Humpty Stuyvesant Van Dumpty III is going to be a difficult case to crack...

Oh dear, now I'm using the same cliches as the blurb on the back cover. Fortunately, Fforde's puns and wordplay are infinitely more inventive than mine. The plotting is also mind-bendingly complex despite incorporating any number of stories familiar from childhood.

What fun!

Bookray
glade1, USA (USA only)
NMReader, USA (USA)
4thEstate, USA (USA preferred, Int if needed)
Rrrcaron, USA (USA)
sunfi, USA (USA/Canada preferred, Int if needed)
katrinat, UK (Europe)
TracyW, UK (Int)
disneyfreaksam, UK (Int)
KiwiinEngland, UK/Ireland (Europe/Asia/Australisia)
madnad, Spain (Europe) - asked to be skipped
Hayes13, Italy (Int)
tokorua, Australia (aus, nz, png and the pacific islands only) - asked to be skipped

First bookray complete!

Update 01 March 2011: Hayes13 has agreed to start a new bookray as more readers would like to sign up.

Second bookray - PM at any time, with your shipping preferences, to join. Shipping info: paperback, 400pp, ~300g.

Ametisti, Finland (Int)
leoluvr, USA (USA)
...

Please could you all do four things:

1. Make a quick journal entry when you receive the book.
2. Read and send on within four weeks - or make a journal entry to let us know how you're getting on if you need longer.
3. Make a journal entry when you've finished.
4. Use the cheapest method of shipping available.

And, enjoy the book!

If you liked this book, we have a bookray for the sequel: The Fourth Bear.

Journal Entry 2 by TheLostBook at By Post, a postal release -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, October 31, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (10/31/2009 UTC) at By Post, a postal release -- Controlled Releases

This book is starting its journey by travelling to glade1 in the USA. Happy reading, everyone!

Journal Entry 3 by wingglade1wing from Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Received this in the mail last week, but I've been slow to journal. Sorry! I have already started reading it and like it so far. More later!

Thank you for including me in the ray!

Journal Entry 4 by wingglade1wing from Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Thursday, February 11, 2010

I finally finished this one! I enjoyed it but I've been in a bit of a reading slump so read it slowly. I think I still prefer the Wednesday Next series but definitely appreciate Fforde's wit in this incarnation as well.

I have NMReader's address and will mail this out soon, I hope. Our local post office is no longer open on Saturdays, which makes things more difficult!

Thanks again for including me in the ray!

Journal Entry 5 by wingglade1wing at Greensboro, North Carolina -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 18, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (2/16/2010 UTC) at Greensboro, North Carolina -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to NMReader via media mail.

Journal Entry 6 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, February 22, 2010

Arrived in the mail. Looking forward to reading

Journal Entry 7 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I thought a status update might be appreciated.

I started the book over the weekend and I think I am about 1/5 of the way through the book so far. Detective Spratt had been to see Mrs. Hubbard.

I am enjoying the book although it seems to be slow going at the moment. I had hoped to finish book this weekend but I do not believe that will happen.

March 15: I am presently on page 154 of 398. This book seems a little more slow going then I expected. I am enjoying the tale and am presently with Jack at the Spongg's factory - looking at the art work (mythical creatures having Spongg's footcare applied by beautiful maidens). I am hoping to power read the next little bit and finish this book quickly.

Journal Entry 8 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Sunday, March 21, 2010

Itt took me a lot to get in the book but once I did it was very enjoyable. I read the last 3/5 in a couple days.

Good read

Journal Entry 9 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, March 22, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (3/22/2010 UTC) at Herndon, Virginia USA

I hope to drop at the PO this evening after work.

Delivery Confirmation Number: 0309 3220 0001 8477 8017

Journal Entry 10 by 4thEstate from Montclair, New Jersey USA on Thursday, March 25, 2010

The book was waiting for me in the front hall when I got in from work a little while ago. Will get to it soon!

Journal Entry 11 by 4thEstate from Montclair, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Liked this one - it's really funny to see all the characters we know from fairy tales and nursery rhymes transplanted into a film noir setting.

Journal Entry 12 by 4thEstate at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (4/14/2010 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, New Jersey USA

Sent out earlier today in the mail.

Journal Entry 13 by Rrrcaron from Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Monday, April 19, 2010

Received in the mail today. Have a book in progress, and one other to read before this one. Won't take long...

Journal Entry 14 by Rrrcaron from Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I found this book to be very entertaining. I now look at nursery rhymes in a whole new light, lol. I'm looking forward to the next adventure. Sending on to next reader.

Journal Entry 15 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, May 22, 2010

This arrived in the mail today, I have a number of other rings ahead of this one but I'll get to it as soon as I can. I keep my profile updated on weekly basis so you can see how close this one is to the top. Thanks for sending this to me and including me in the ring.

Update 5 Jul 10 - Just wanted to let you know I'm almost done with this one, sorry for the holdup. I have 50 pages left and hope to have it on its way this weekend, I already have the next participants address.

Update 9 Jul 10 - I finally finished this last night. I enjoyed it, I don't know why it takes me so long to get through his books. I enjoy the story, maybe it has to do with the slight language differences that slow me down. I will make release notes once I get this in the mail on its way.

Journal Entry 16 by sunfi at Dayton, Ohio USA on Saturday, July 10, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (7/10/2010 UTC) at Dayton, Ohio USA

On its way to the UK, it should arrive in the next couple of weeks, thanks for including me in this one.

Journal Entry 17 by katrinat at Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, July 24, 2010

arrived yesterday just days after the fourth one has turned up, will be spending lots of time with Thursday Next. Thanks for sending x

Journal Entry 18 by katrinat at Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, July 24, 2010

oops just realised this is a new series and not a Thursday Next book, yipee! I love reading a series x

Journal Entry 19 by katrinat at Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 21, 2010

i.ve been trying to get into this for a while but i.ve given up. It's just not working for me which is a shame as i really enjoyed the Thursday Next series. Will post on as soon as i get the next address

Journal Entry 20 by katrinat at Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, October 02, 2010

sent on to the next reader

Journal Entry 21 by TracyW at UK, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, October 07, 2010

Already into it

Journal Entry 22 by TracyW at -- Controlled release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, November 08, 2010

I enjoyed this more than I was expecting, the mystery engaged me, although I figured out the trap Jack was in at the end a bit too quickly for my liking. I liked the playing around but not quite covering the nursery tales, eg the Beanstalk and Mary, Mary Quite Contrary. It just doesn't quite tickle my sense of humour as much as the Thursday Next books and I can't figure out quite why, perhaps none of the targets are quite as good as the moral philosophy examples.

Journal Entry 23 by TracyW at a Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Friday, November 12, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (11/12/2010 UTC) at a Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Mailed today!

Journal Entry 24 by wingdisneyfreaksamwing at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thank you very very much. I will get into it as soon as I can. xx

Journal Entry 25 by wingdisneyfreaksamwing at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Excellent. Absolutely loved it. What a great murder mystery comedy. I will definately reading more of his books.

Journal Entry 26 by wingdisneyfreaksamwing at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (12/1/2010 UTC) at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom

Great book.

Enjoy

xx

Journal Entry 27 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, December 08, 2010

This book safely arrived in snowy Dublin, where for the past week the city has been a winter wonderland. Unfortunately Dublin is at the thaw and freeze phase, which means I spend a lot of time looking like an inelegant ice skater while walking to work.

Thanks for sending the book over disneyfreaksam, and TheLostBook for starting the ring. A bit of Jasper Fforde will make a great pre-Christmas treat.

Journal Entry 28 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, January 05, 2011

This was a fun read, and all the references to Nursery Stories made me recall studying them in sixth form english. I still don't get why there was a seperate division of the police to sort out any issues with the characters but that's by the by.

I hope the Greek mythology is developed in further stories.

madnad has stopped bookcrossing and asked to be skipped.

Journal Entry 29 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (1/8/2011 UTC) at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom

Posting off to Italy for the next reader in this bookray to enjoy.

Journal Entry 30 by Hayes13 at Roma, Lazio Italy on Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Arrived this morning, thank you. Have a few things to read first, but I will get to it as soon as I can. (Someone should do a study: why do rings and rays always arrive at the same time?) Thank you KiwiinEngland and The Lost Book!

Journal Entry 31 by Hayes13 at Roma, Lazio Italy on Monday, January 31, 2011

tokorua has asked to be skipped, and I am the last, which is providential, actually. I will move this lower on TBR and read it later (thus catching up on my other rings), and will then include it in my "VBB in English for the Italian Forum".

Perhaps this ray will continue, so I will not include it in my VBB.

Journal Entry 32 by Hayes13 at Nurmijärvi, Uusimaa Finland on Monday, May 02, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (5/2/2011 UTC) at Nurmijärvi, Uusimaa Finland

Off to Finland it goes!

Journal Entry 33 by Ametisti at Nurmijärvi, Uusimaa Finland on Friday, May 06, 2011

Received the book in mail today! Great! I'll get started on it right away ;)