corner corner The Stars My Destination (Gollancz S.F.)

The Stars My Destination (Gollancz S.F.)
by Alfred Bester | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by TheLostBook of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, April 26, 2009

status (set by Thalasse): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, April 26, 2009

This book is part of The Lost Book project. The Lost Book is an animated web series which you can help write. It follows the adventures of investigative journalist, and BookCrosser, Aileen Adler and her dog Watson as they try to solve the crime of a stolen book.

The lovely and talented Jasper Fforde did some guest writing for The Lost Book - he created the characters and background for the missing book - the journal of Sally Challenger’s 2004 expedition to Arthur Conan Doyle’s lost world. Every week we’re inviting visitors to The Lost Book website to help write the book. If you'd like to help, all you need to do is write a 100-word microstory continuing the story!

Anyway, we interviewed Jasper for The Lost Book website and one of the questions was "Which book has affected you the most?" His answer:

"Tiger, Tiger by Alfred Bester. No, wait, Alice Wonderland. No, Slaughterhouse 5. No, hang on..."

We'd never heard of Tiger, Tiger so went looking. At first search it seemed to be out of print. A little bit of googling, though, and we discovered that it had an alternative title: The Stars My Destination. So, here it is. A couple of members of The Lost Book team want to read it, and then we'll send it out on a bookray.

Update: The Lost Book ran until July 2009 and is now finished - apart from lots of books like this one that are still travelling and finding new readers!

Journal Entry 2 by Nell-Lu from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Stars My Destination is an adrenaline rush; a fast, furious read. Protagonist Gully Foyle goes from passive everyman, to revenge-obsessed incarnation of evil, to active everyman hero. It’s a story about education and self-education. Neil Gaiman, in his introduction, compares Foyle to the Count of Monte Cristo and he’s exactly right. Both characters gain the resources, and have the determination, to gain their revenge on a huge scale; both discover that revenge is harder, and less important, than it seems.

Foyle is an appalling character. For the majority of this novel, the close narrative focus on Foyle forces the reader to identify with him against their will. He’s violent, abusive and stupid; a rapist and murderer, yet Bester writes him as a hero. It feels manipulative. But, it’s effective manipulation. As Foyle’s awakening turns into something more interesting it suddenly seems right that we, the reader, are right there with him.

Published in 1956, The Stars My Destination is both dated and amazingly contemporary. The attitudes (toward women, towards race) are dated – yet, writing in the 1950s about a culture where purdah has become common, Bester has created several strong, complex female characters – one a black women (and, yes, his insistence on reminding us that Robin is a "negro girl" does jar). But, the theme and its exploration are current and - unlike other classic era SF - the technology, based as it is on the human mind, isn’t out of date.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Sunday, April 26, 2009

This book was strongly recommended to me in several ways recently so I was delighted and surprised to find it on our shelves, ready for release. I am almost the world's slowest reader so was in two minds about swiping it for the usual two months it takes me to wade through a novel and hold up its release. Well, I'm glad I did take it. Less than two weeks have passed since starting it and I loved every page to the end. As well as being engrossing, this book is shockingly contemporary. It could have been written yesterday, not 47 years ago. The imagination that has gone into this future world is immense and it pretty much holds together, well enough for a nine rating and to be etched into my memory anyway! Enjoy.

CAUGHT IN EDINBURGH MIDLOTHIAN UK

Journal Entry 4 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, April 26, 2009

This book is going to travel around the world as a bookray. PM at any time, with your shipping preferences, to join. Shipping info: standard-sized paperback, 230g.

Bookray
pingucb, UK (UK)
KiwiinEngland, UK (Int)
katrinat, UK (Europe) - asked to be skipped
Hayes13, Italy (Int)
chich, France (Int)
hyper7, South Africa (Int)
snufkin81, South Africa (Int)
ajsmom, Canada (Int)
ResQgeek, USA (USA)
Megi53, USA (Int after end of May)
efs300, USA (Unknown)
TomHl, USA (Int)
peacejunkie84, USA (Int) - please skip (it's been reported that peacejunkie84 has stalled a number of bookrays. We PMed her to allow her to comment, but didn't receive a reply).
carlissa, USA (USA) - asked to be skipped
2of3Rs, USA (Int)
NMReader, USA (USA)
sunfi, USA (USA/Canada preferred, Int if needed)
perryfran, USA (Int)
judygreeneyes, USA (USA preferred, Int if needed)
hyphen8, USA (USA preferred, Int if needed)
earthcaroleanne, UK (EU/Int if needed)
Lydiasbooks, UK (EU)
RonOren, UK (Int) - asked to be moved down the list
han_cat, UK (Europe)
lunatum, Finland (Int)
kasenka, Finland (Int)

Bookray complete! kasenka, the book is yours to do with as you wish. It'd be lovely if it kept travelling!

Journal Entry 5 by TheLostBook at By Post, a postal release -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, May 14, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (5/14/2009 UTC) at By Post, a postal release -- Controlled Releases

This is all packaged up and ready to go to pingucb in Surrey. Happy reading, everyone - hope you enjoy this book.

Journal Entry 6 by pingucb from Lower Kingswood, Surrey United Kingdom on Monday, May 18, 2009

Received this today - thankyou :-)
Is next in line after my current book.

Journal Entry 7 by pingucb from Lower Kingswood, Surrey United Kingdom on Monday, June 08, 2009

This is a really quick and easy read, which hurtles along at a great pace. As others have said, the content is surprisingly contemporary for a book written over 40 years ago. I don't think I'd rush out to read another Alfred Bester, but I'm pleased to have read this one - thanks for the opportunity.
Have PM'd the next in line, just waiting for a response and the book will be travelling again.

Journal Entry 8 by pingucb at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (6/9/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Posted to kiwiinengland today. Enjoy :-)

Journal Entry 9 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, June 20, 2009

Arrived safely, thank you

Journal Entry 10 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, July 15, 2009

As previous readers have stated, this book is amazingly contemporary.

The story was great, fast and action packed. The creation of a future society which is obsessed with money and objects and clothes and celebraties is rather striking and believable, especially as I read this after the funeral service/concert of Michael Jackson. I especially liked how, in a world where many people can teleport, using manual transportation (such a bicycles or cars) was the reserve of the weathly.

The characters in the book I found underdeveloped, all set in their obvious roles...the rich selfimportant man, the driven detective with a weakness for the ladies, the woman who falls for the damaged man. However maybe this is because, in the decades since this book was published, so many people have recreated characters similar to what Bester created .

katrinat has asked to be skipped. Hayes13 is out of contact until 20 July. I will pm them then.

Journal Entry 11 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (7/22/2009 UTC) at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

Posted to Italy air mail via the Irish postal service.

Journal Entry 12 by wingHayes13wing from Roma, Lazio Italy on Saturday, July 25, 2009

Arrived this morning, thank you. Help!! I've got too many rings! (So what else is new?) Will get to it as quickly as I can...

Journal Entry 13 by wingHayes13wing at Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- France on Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (7/31/2009 UTC) at Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- France

Almost... just not my thing.

Interesting bit (and vaguely familiar) about "jaunting" in chapter 3:

Bravo, Mr Harris! Well done! L-E-S, gentlemen. Never forget. Location. Elevation. Situation. That's the only way to memorize your jaunte co-ordinates.

Off it goes, to its next jaunting station in France.

Journal Entry 14 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Thursday, August 06, 2009

Image hosting by Photobucket Book received today, thanks for passing it on Hayes13!

Thanks for for starting this ray TheLostBook, I'll finish the book I'm reading right now and will get right on to this one:o)

Journal Entry 15 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Wednesday, August 12, 2009

What a fantastic read! I've never particularly enjoyed science fiction written in the 50's and 60's because the novels don't usually stand the test of time and feel quite outdated, but this book aged very well:) I liked the plot, pace and characters although (as has been mentioned in a previous J.E.) some of them were a bit stereotypical. I think the foreword by Neil Gaiman added a lot to the book and gave a greater perspective to the reading experience. One last thing, I think it's a shame the editors changed the title to "The Stars My Destination" as I think the original title of "Tiger, Tiger" is much more fitting.

To anyone wanting to read another science-fiction classic that aged well, I'd recommend Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein:)

Thanks so much for sharing this TheLostBook

Journal Entry 16 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Book sent to hyper7 today, enjoy!

Journal Entry 17 by hyper7 from Secunda, Mpumalanga South Africa on Monday, August 17, 2009

Received it today. I just finished a book last night, so this is good timing!

Journal Entry 18 by hyper7 from Secunda, Mpumalanga South Africa on Wednesday, August 19, 2009

That was very good! Thanks for sharing, TheLostBook!
I'll send it along soon.

Journal Entry 19 by hyper7 at Secunda, Mpumalanga South Africa on Thursday, August 20, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (8/20/2009 UTC) at Secunda, Mpumalanga South Africa

Sent to snufkin81 in Bergvliet, RSA. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 20 by snufkin81 from Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Tuesday, September 15, 2009

This arrived today, thank you, Hyper7! I have a bunch of rings ahead of this one, but I'll get to it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 21 by snufkin81 from Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Sunday, November 15, 2009

This was an interesting story. I'm not sure that I'll read anything elsby Alfred Bester, but I'm glad I read this one. It was rather disturbing though, at times. Gully Foyle is totally reprehensible, and yet I could not help rooting for him. I loved Yeoville, and would have liked to see more of him.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to read this, TheLostBook! I've already PMed the next person for their address.

Journal Entry 22 by snufkin81 at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, December 04, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (12/4/2009 UTC) at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent by airmail to ajsmom. Sorry for keeping this so long!

Journal Entry 23 by ajsmom from Quesnel, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, December 24, 2009

Caught today, thank you!

Journal Entry 24 by ajsmom from Quesnel, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, January 09, 2010

I really enjoyed this book! I don't read SciFi at all, but I do like watching it, and could easily see much of this action-packed novel turned into TV or film. (Maybe it has been?) The character of Foyle was utterly unlikeable, but his redemption was intriguing - I never got the feeling that Gully was that much worse than the jackals out there in the 25th century, so while his misdeeds were atrocious, they never felt shockingly so. All in all, a rather delightful read!

I will PM the next in line and have this book (I wish they'd kept 'Tiger! Tiger!' too - far more fitting than the romantic-sounding title it has) on its' way asap.

Journal Entry 25 by ajsmom at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (1/12/2010 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

This book is off to Virginia! Happy travels, little book!

Journal Entry 26 by wingResQgeekwing from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, January 16, 2010

This arrived safely in the mail today, which was perfect timing, as I just finished my previous book and was contemplating what to read next. I had completely forgotten signing up for this ray, but now that I've refreshed my memory, I'm looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 27 by wingResQgeekwing from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, January 24, 2010

Mechanics Mate 3rd Class Gully Foyle was an unambitious cog, uninterested in making anything of himself, without any motivation. But he wasn't without abilities, and his latent talents were just waiting for a trigger to turn them loose. After his ship is attacked and destroyed, he is the sole survivor, barely hanging on to life. When another ship comes along, he believes he is rescued...until it leaves him behind. This abandonment is the trigger that unleashes his motivation.

Foyle becomes a monster, bent on revenge and not concerned with who he might hurt along the way. But his brutality is a product of his society, where violence and cruelty are the norm, and in this context, Foyle's actions are almost acceptable. But as he comes closer to exacting his revenge, he begins to understand the evil of his actions. In the end, he finds ways to redeem not only himself but also the society around him.

This is an action packed Science Fiction yarn, written in the 1950s. It compares favorably with many contemporary works by the likes of Heinlein and Asimov. It has withstood the test of time remarkably well, and remains an powerful story about the nature of evil and redemption.

I have the address for the next reader, but am on vacation in Colorado. I'll pass it along when I get home next week.

Journal Entry 28 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, February 05, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (2/5/2010 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

In the mail, on its way to the next reader. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 29 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Friday, February 12, 2010

Arrived today -- what a gorgeous book! I have two other ring/ray books with me currently, but this looks like the type of thing I'll stay up until 2:00 A.M. to finish.

Journal Entry 30 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Finished in a 100-page reading marathon last night. This was one of five bookrings/rays I received in the space of a week in February (why oh why?) and unfortunately, it got short shrift for a while.

I started it the day I got it, then had to put it aside for so long that I forgot who Wednesbury, Sheffield, and Y'ang-Yeovil were and had to start reading again from the beginning! (and yes, they were vitally important characters)

The wide-ranging effects of jaunting were fascinating, although I'd hope to have a mere 50-mile designation on my ID card if I lived in the 25th century.

The settings, especially the Nomad and Geoffre Martel, were rich with detail. I love that feature in a book.

The end was wild and exciting, even if it did suffer from what I've recently come to term "Sea Wolf Syndrome" -- after the Jack London book in which a character seques off into a long diatribe about populism or socialism in an incongruous time and/or place. (Not to give too much of a spoiler, but what took place in Bester's book involved many times and places!)

The women were all so bizarre ... not sure what I think about that; may return to this j/e to elaborate in weeks to come.

I would like to learn more about Joseph, Moira, and the rest of the Scientific People. No sequel, ever? Maybe Bear or Gaiman can attempt one eventually (or Burton make a film of it!).

Oh! Thinking on Bester's death and his will which gave so much to his bartender -- I absolutely adored the robot bartender with the built-in beam! "Always a lovely day somewhere, sir."

Journal Entry 31 by Megi53 at Bedford, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (3/9/2010 UTC) at Bedford, New Hampshire USA

Mailed from Teal Court post office.

Journal Entry 32 by efs300 from Bedford, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sorry for the delay in getting a journal entry for this. This book arrived in NH last week and got 'lost' in my work bag. I have read one other book by Bester, The Demolished Man which I thought was very good so I am looking forward to reading this book. I do have one book in front of it so it will take a little while to get it moving.

Journal Entry 33 by efs300 at Bedford, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Finally finished this very good sci-fi novel. I would love to be able to 'jaunt', but what problems it would cause. Waiting for an address to send this along to the next person on the bookray list. Thanks to TheLostBook/Nell-Lu for the chance to read this book.

Journal Entry 34 by TomHl at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, August 19, 2010

The book jaunted to Wisconsin today, although not precisely to the shore of Green Bay. I'm attaching a picture I took of some Wisconsin pines. Refer to page 35 of this edition. I mean, I'm happy to see Wisconsin even mentioned, but I wish Bester had chosen someplace else for that scene.

Location: 43.0690 N, 88.1985 W
Elevation: 866 ft. (264m)
Situation: will be read after my current book, The New Weird, is finished.

Thanks TheLostBook, for starting the bookray. And thanks efs300, for sending it on to me.

Journal Entry 35 by TomHl at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, August 22, 2010

I read a lot of science fiction, and have previously read Alfred Bester's other 1950s novel - The Demolished Man. I feel The Stars My Destination in many ways is typical of 1950s thriller science fiction; in gender roles, and in the psycho-babble of the times. But still, this book is something of a stand-out with its portrayal of a very angry Gulliver Foyle, who cannot abide the hypocrisy of polite society. He is an anti-hero that the reader is forced to identify with, even as he commits atrocity. A quick read, and very interesting.

Just a side note - I just read an anthology of New Weird SF, and in this book Baker's menagerie of human biological curiosities reminded me of the world of China Mieville's Perdido Street Station.

Journal Entry 36 by TomHl at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Monday, August 23, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (8/23/2010 UTC) at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA

TheLostBook told me to skip peacejunkie84. carlissa asked to be skipped. So today I sent the book via media mail to 2of3Rs in Oregon. It should arrive in approximately one week.

Journal Entry 37 by 2of3Rs at Hillsboro, Oregon USA on Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Just received as part of the ring. Sci-fi isn't my usual genre, but the description and raves about it sound intriguing. I'm finishing up one book and then will get right to this one. Thanks for including me!

Journal Entry 38 by 2of3Rs at Hillsboro, Oregon USA on Saturday, September 11, 2010

Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination, has been touted to be the best science fiction novel ever. Whether it actually is or not needs to be determined by others more versed in science fiction.

Neil Gaiman, who wrote the introduction for the version I read, called this book a "perfect cyberpunk novel, including protocyber elements, such as multinational corporate intrigue, a dangerous and mysterious hyperscientific McGuffin (PyrE), an amoral hero, and a supercool Thief Woman."

Set in the year 2436, all across galaxies, Gully Foyle is a grunt pursuing revenge. Through his adventures and mis-adventures, he becomes moral. Bester crafts Foyle's transformation well.

While I'm sure I didn't fully appreciate all of the science in this science fiction novel, I did love seeing Bester's imaginings of the future, where tattoo-ing is a dead art (hard to imagine now, perhaps it was easier to imagine in the 1950's) and space travel is accomplished by "jaunting".

I loved how Bester used Gully's tattoo in the story. In the beginning Foyle has a horrific tattoo of a tiger on his face. The tattoo gets removed and how that affects Foyle's emotions is brilliant.

The book was originally titled "Tiger, Tiger", which seems a more apt title to me (and several others who have read the book).

(I wrote this for my blog...notthenewyorktimesbookreview.blogspot.com)

Journal Entry 39 by 2of3Rs at Herndon, Virginia USA on Saturday, September 11, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (9/11/2010 UTC) at Herndon, Virginia USA

sent on to the next person in the ring...

Journal Entry 40 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Arrived today

Journal Entry 41 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, October 04, 2010

I thought an update might be appreciated.

I started this book over the weekend as I have another book to mail sunfi and felt if I could read this in a few days I could wait and send both together.

I am at the start of chapter 5 or just after Gully Foyle has his talk with Dagenham.

Oct 6: Not making as much progress as I would like - busy work week

Journal Entry 42 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Sunday, October 10, 2010

I finished this book yesterday. I enjoyed it but not as much as I expected based on the The Well of Lost Plots

Journal Entry 43 by NMReader at Dayton, Ohio USA on Sunday, October 10, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (10/16/2010 UTC) at Dayton, Ohio USA

I will be handing to sunfi in person

Journal Entry 44 by sunfi at Dayton, Ohio USA on Saturday, October 16, 2010

Picked up from NMReader a little earlier today. It was a pleasure to meet her, thanks again for the lovely lunch, I hope you had a nice time here in Dayton.

Update 5 Dec 10 - I've tried a couple times to get into this one and I can't, so its time for me to pass this on. Once I have the next participant's address, I'll send this one on.

Journal Entry 45 by sunfi at Dayton, Ohio USA on Thursday, December 09, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (12/8/2010 UTC) at Dayton, Ohio USA

On its way to the next reader, it should arrive in the next couple of weeks.

Journal Entry 46 by wingperryfranwing at North Ogden, Utah USA on Friday, December 10, 2010

Received today. Thanks for including me in this ray. Will try to get to this soon.

Journal Entry 47 by wingperryfranwing at North Ogden, Utah USA on Friday, December 17, 2010

This is a classic sci-fi novel from the 1950's that I had never heard of. I enjoyed it immensely and was rooting for Foyle throughout the book even though he was such a despicable person! The book included several great sci-fi concepts including jaunting (willing yourself through space or teleportation) which makes others means of transportation obsolete, the powerful weapon - PyrE, and use of cyborg technology which enabled Foyle to accelerate by a factor of 5 making it appear as if everyone else is in slow motion. Of course, being written in the 50s also made parts of the story appear dated such as references to powerful families and corporations like Montgomery Ward and the Kodak clan. I'm sure by the 25th century when this novel takes place, these names would be forever forgotten. But overall, this was a great read that I should probably reread in the future.

Thanks for including me in this bookray. I have judygreeneyes address and will get the book off to her soon.

Journal Entry 48 by wingperryfranwing at San Diego, California USA on Saturday, December 18, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (12/18/2010 UTC) at San Diego, California USA

Sending on to Judygreeneyes in San Diego, CA to continue this ray. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 49 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Monday, December 27, 2010

This book arrived today in San Diego! Great, I was just looking for my next book. I'll get started on it right away.

Journal Entry 50 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Saturday, January 01, 2011

I'm almost done with this book, what a crazy story!! It will be off to hyphen8 next in Honolulu. I just wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Year 2011!!

Journal Entry 51 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Sunday, January 02, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (1/2/2011 UTC) at San Diego, California USA

Wow, this book was a wild ride. It amazes me that it was written in 1956, the year before I was born. Very creative, very frenetic. I can't say that I liked any of the characters, which usually would mean I had a hard time enjoying the story, but this story is just so chock full of creativity and futuristic fun that it was very enjoyable. Thanks much for sharing it with me. It is off now by mail to hyphen8.

If you aren't familiar with Bookcrossing, take a few minutes to check out this very cool site. Bookcrossers LOVE books, and more than anything, they love to read books and then set them free for other people to find and enjoy. I would love it if you would leave a journal entry -- you can say where you found the book or how you liked it when you read it. Then, when you are ready, pass it along for someone else to enjoy! Thanks and happy reading!

Journal Entry 52 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Arrived today: I'm guessing that the striking orange & black cover is a reference to the original title. This is an interesting book: I've often thought paperbacks should have rounded corners - they get curled up so often - but I'm not sure I've seen another mass-market book that actually started out with them.

Not sure who contributed the magnetic manatee bookmark, but it's cute. :)

Work is crazy at the moment but I'll get through this as quickly as I can (it will be next after my current book). Thanks for sharing this with me.

Journal Entry 53 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, February 06, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (1/31/2011 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

I'll add some more notes later but this book was mailed to the next reader on Monday 1/31.

Thanks for including me in this bookray!

Grimmer than I remembered, but still an enjoyable read.

Journal Entry 54 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, February 10, 2011

Just arrived! Unfortunately as per bookray "law" it's arrived when I have a bundle TBR but don't worry I won't hold it up.

Journal Entry 55 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 06, 2011

After promising not to hold it up, I put it in the wrong bundle and forgot about it. When I found it again, I considered passing it on without reading it because it really didn't look like my "thing". In fact I couldn't understand what would have made me ask to join the ring, but something must have persuaded me so I thought it should be read.

I'm so glad I did. I found it a fascinating read. I agreed with everyone about it being amazingly contemporary and Foyle being a very unlikeable character, but you just couldn't stop reading about him.

Journal Entry 56 by wingearthcaroleannewing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (4/11/2011 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

Off to the next person in the ray.

Journal Entry 57 by Lydiasbooks at Tottenham, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, June 02, 2011

Sorry, didn't realise i hadn't already posted here. It's a shame, I'd have liked to stick it out through this book. Apparently it was Jasper Fforde's inspiration, and I love his work. Somehow though this book just bored me. I don't like too much sf with my fantasy, and this was too sf-like for me. I'll be mailing it to the next person in the ring soon and hoping other people enjoy it.

Journal Entry 58 by ArabellaFigg at Hull, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 20, 2011

This arrived the other day, thanks lydiasbooks. Will start it as soon as I've finished current read.

Journal Entry 59 by ArabellaFigg at Hull, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Sorry I've taken so long with this book. I kept picking it up and reading a bit but then I would just forget about it. A shame because like Lydiasbooks, I do love Jasper Fforde, but I don't want to hold the bookring up any longer. Will post it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 60 by ArabellaFigg at Hull, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, November 04, 2011

Now on it's way to Australia.

Journal Entry 61 by davemurray101 at Valentine, New South Wales Australia on Monday, November 21, 2011

Arrived in the post today. Should be an excellent read.

Journal Entry 62 by davemurray101 at Valentine, New South Wales Australia on Monday, November 28, 2011

An excellent read, somewhat reminiscent of 'Sirens of Titan'. An American SF novel that has a class system which is quite rare.

Journal Entry 63 by davemurray101 at a fellow bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 28, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (11/29/2011 UTC) at a fellow bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

posted to bekoh,

Journal Entry 64 by bekoh at Fern Bay, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, December 07, 2011

received safe & sound - thanks Dave

Journal Entry 65 by bekoh at Fern Bay, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, January 07, 2012

It took a while for me to start this but once I did I couldn't put it down. This book is fantastic! Gully Foyle is a character I will remember for quite some time.

Journal Entry 66 by bekoh at -- Australia Post, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (1/16/2012 UTC) at -- Australia Post, New South Wales Australia

posted off to ACT.

Journal Entry 67 by wingrmjwoldwing at Monash, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Rec'd today from Bekoh (thanks!) and looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 68 by wingrmjwoldwing at Monash, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wow, what a great book. I had trouble putting this one down, so much happens in it.

The main character, Gully Foyle, is both horrible and fascinating. Great read.

Have PM'd PJLBewdy for mailing details - then this little book will be off on a new journey.

Journal Entry 69 by PJLBewdy at Smiths Lake, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Received today. This has been on my wishlist for a while so thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 70 by PJLBewdy at Smiths Lake, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, February 11, 2012

I didn't like this book as much as some of the journallers have but it was interesting and quite powerfully written. Certainly not sorry I read it. Heading back to the UK when the PO is open.

Journal Entry 71 by PJLBewdy at Smiths Lake, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (2/13/2012 UTC) at Smiths Lake, New South Wales Australia

Off it goes to estaplador - enjoy!

Journal Entry 72 by wingelstapladorwing at Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Friday, February 24, 2012

This has arrived safely with me. I've a couple of rings ahead in the queue, but I'll get this read as soon as I can and pass it on.

Journal Entry 73 by wingelstapladorwing at Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, March 01, 2012

My obsession with The Count of Monte Cristo continues unchecked. First The Stars' Tennis Balls, and now this. The vengeful antihero in this case is Gulliver Foyle, Mechanic's Mate 3rd class. He is taking revenge on the ship that passed him by, leaving him to die in space. If you enjoyed The Count of Monte Cristo, and were able to reach beyond the troubling clichés in that, and/or if you are a devotee of the golden age of sci-fi, you'll like this.

Worth reading not just as a curiosity for devotees of Dumas, but also as a sci-fi classic. A sci-fi classic of the fifties, mind, with all that implies - i.e. lots of bits that make me cringe, and some that are just plain nasty - but also wacky imagination, wackier characters, and a reader who's assumed to be intelligent. An implied rape scene (actually, I was rather more disturbed by Neil Gaiman's foreword, regretting that the reader had to do more work in the fifties) and a society in which women are kept behind closed doors - but several well-drawn female characters and an explicit acknowledgement of how broken that society is. Some terrible racial stereotyping, a disabled antagonist... it's of its time, yes. Problematic. But when it wasn't doing that, I did enjoy it.

Journal Entry 74 by wingelstapladorwing at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, March 10, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/9/2012 UTC) at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Posted on to MKtiny. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 75 by MKtiny at Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 12, 2012

Arrived in the post today and going to the top of the pile. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 76 by MKtiny at Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 08, 2012

At last I've finished reading this book - apologies being such a slow reader. This is a fabulous book - its reputation is well deserved. I'm so glad I signed up for this one. Gully Foyle is one of those characters who really does live beyond the pages of the book and will stay around for ever. His is a classic journey from darkness to light.

In terms of sci-fi technology, it feels very contemporary, but the portrayal of women gives it away as a book of the 50's. I think the principal women themselves are feisty, complicated and very modern, it's just the manner in which they are written about in relation to the men is dated.

With the advances in CGI, I think this book is ripe for a big screen adaptation. Done well, it could be just brilliant.

Thanks for sharing, VictoriaWagtail has asked to be skipped, so it will be on its way to RonOren this week.

P.S. Found a Tiger! Tiger! postcard to accompany it on its travels :)

Journal Entry 77 by RonOren at Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 11, 2012

Just arrived; thanks for sending this through, MKTiny. I'm currently reading another ring, which is looking to be pretty heavy going, so am looking forward to this as a little light relief afterwards. Should get to read this and journal it in a week or two, I'd think.

Love the Tiger! Tiger! card, by the way. I think I'll leave it in and give at least one more person the opportunity to smile at it :-)

Journal Entry 78 by RonOren at Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 15, 2012

I really enjoyed this book! It's well-written, fast-paced and has a couple of pretty decent plot twists. Of course, it borrows a lot from the Count of Monte Cristo (although I wouldn't go so far as calling this a re-telling of that story); but that's one of my favourite books, so you won't hear me complain.

But what I liked most about this book is that, despite it being 60 year old SF novel (and as Neil Gaiman points out in the introduction - nothing dates as quickly as the future), it doesn't seem that dated at all. True, a few details are rooted in the '50s (such as a Soviet Union extending to Shanghai), but the main story, the main morals (or lack of, if you wish) are timeless.

I must say that I'm now quite interested in Bester's other novel, The Rat Race; especially considering that's not supposed to be a SF. He seems a good enough writer to pull off different types of genres...

All in all, a very enjoyable read, so thanks ever so much for offering me the opportunity to get into this! I'll get in touch with han_cat and send the book (and postcard) on its travels soon.

Update 18 June: sent to han_cat. Hope you'll enjoy it!

Journal Entry 79 by han_cat at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 21, 2012

Recieved in the post yesterday. Really looking forward to reading this one, looks like something my stressed-out brain will enjoy :)

Journal Entry 80 by han_cat at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, July 23, 2012

So sorry to have kept onto this, I absolutely loved reading this book. My first actual 'science fiction' and it's really converted me to a new genre. Really glad I signed up for this ring.

Journal Entry 81 by han_cat at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, July 23, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (7/23/2012 UTC) at Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

Sending out to lunatum who's next on the ring today

Journal Entry 82 by winglunatumwing at Savukoski, Lappi Finland on Friday, July 27, 2012

The book arrived today. It may take longer than a month, because I'm quite busy at the moment...

Journal Entry 83 by winglunatumwing at Savukoski, Lappi Finland on Sunday, September 23, 2012

When I read the prologue, I almost stopped reading the book. Luckily I contunued, because I enjoyed the rest of the book. One wouldn't have believed that the book was written 50 years ago.

Thank you for sharing the book with us. I'll send the book forward next week.

Journal Entry 84 by winglunatumwing at Savukoski, Lappi Finland on Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (10/10/2012 UTC) at Savukoski, Lappi Finland

I sent the book forward last week.

Journal Entry 85 by kasenka at Rautjärvi, Etelä-Karjala Finland on Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The book is here, thank you!

Journal Entry 86 by kasenka at Rautjärvi, Etelä-Karjala Finland on Wednesday, April 03, 2013

I liked this book but not as much I hoped. I'm glad I read it, though.

I'm not sure how many more readers this copy can take anymore as it is quite tattered and it's falling apart...

Journal Entry 87 by kasenka at Rautjärvi, Etelä-Karjala Finland on Sunday, April 07, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (4/8/2013 UTC) at Rautjärvi, Etelä-Karjala Finland

I'll send this book tomorrow to erpax who wanted to read it regardless of the condition. She also promised to consult lii5a for possible repairs.

Happy trails!

This release is a part of 52 weeks -release challenge which is hosted by Appelsiini on Finnish forum. This weeks theme is Tiger! Tiger is a very important part of the plot of this book and Finnish volleyball team Tiikerit (Tigers) are in the national championship finals which start this week :-)

Journal Entry 88 by wingerpaxwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Sunday, April 14, 2013

The book has been waiting for me. Many thanks, kasenka! :)
Edit: varattu seuraavaksi Thalasselle. :)

Journal Entry 89 by wingerpaxwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Lii5a has kindly promised to give some first aid to this book before it losts any of its pages. It may take some time but after these urgent operations Gully Foyle is able to travel again.

Journal Entry 90 by lii5a at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Wednesday, June 19, 2013

En aio lukea - liian paljon englantia minun taidoilleni :)
Lupasin korjailla kirjaa. Saa nyt nähdä, puranko kirjan ja teen koko liimauksen uudestaan vai annanko kirjalle vain ensiapua. Sen verran nyt kuitenkin yritän paikata, että kaikki sivut pysyisivät kansien välissä.

Journal Entry 91 by lii5a at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Friday, August 29, 2014

Anteeksi - jotenkin on mennyt ohi, että tätä kirjaa odottaa seuraava lukija, ja kirja on jäänyt sivuun. Yritän korjata kirjan ensi viikolla.

Journal Entry 92 by lii5a at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Saturday, September 20, 2014

Kirja jäi minulle luvattoman pitkäksi aikaa. Anteeksi.

Ajattelin ensin vain vähän paikata kirjaa. Ajattelin, että voisin kiinnittää vain irronneen sivunipun - mutta totesin, että irronneet eivät olleet vain yksi yhtenäinen nippu, vaan myös erillisiä sivuja. Samoin oli nähtävissä, että lisää on irtoamassa. Niinpä purin koko kirjan - irrotin sivut kansista ja myös kaikki sivut toisistaan.
Napauttelin sivunippua pöydällä että sain sivuista mahdollisimman tasaisin nipun ja laitoin sen tiukkaan puristukseen lautojen väliin niin, että selkäpuolelta muutama milli oli lautojen ulkopuolella. Raaputin tylpällä veitsellä vanhat liimat pois ja liimasin selän uudestaan. Selän kuivumisen jälkeen tein selkään kolme vakoa, laitoin hiukan liimaa vakoihin ja upotin niihin kuusisäikeiset langanpätkät. Sitten liimasin koko selän toiseen kertaan.
Kun liima oli kuivunut, yhdistin kannen ja sivut liimaamalla. Availin hiukan lankojen säikeitä ja liimasin lankojen päät kansiin. Lopuksi liimasin kansien ja sivujen taitteisiin vielä japaninpaperia (ja suojasin liimauksen muovilla että kansi ja sivu eivät tartu toisiinsa - tämä vinkiksi, jos aiot korjata kirjasi tämän kuvauksen perusteella). Kirja sai vielä olla painon alla kuivumassa.

Nyt kirja on palautettu Erpaxille ja jatkaa matkaansa. Olisi kovin mukavaa, jos kirja saisi matkata ainakin jonkin aikaa kontrolloidusti, ettei korjaustyö mene hukkaan, jos kirja joutuu heti villisti vapautettuna suihkulähteeseen tai revittynä katun varteen.

Journal Entry 93 by wingerpaxwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Sunday, September 21, 2014

The book has gone through an extreme makeover, many thanks lii5a! The pages are tightly attached to to the spine of the book, and lii5a has also prepared torn pages with special paper. Looks like new!

I will have to refresh my memory and write the journal entry.

Journal Entry 94 by wingerpaxwing at To fulfill a wish, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Released 1 wk ago (11/11/2014 UTC) at To fulfill a wish, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

The book has been sent to Thalasse.

Journal Entry 95 by wingThalassewing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Thank you very much for the book (and the beautiful cheetah postcard), erpax! Wow, it's a well-traveled book! I had almost forgotten that I asked for this book, but now I'm looking forward reading it. I read the Finnish translation "Määränpäänä tähdet" many times in my teens and I remember I found it very impressive. Let's see how I find it now...