corner corner The Book of Evidence

The Book of Evidence
by John Banville | Literature & Fiction
Registered by shelj7k of Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on 4/15/2009

status (set by mcsar): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Hi Reader

I am really pleased that you found this book. It is a gift from me to you. If you wish you may hold on to it but I hope that you will pass it on, either to a friend or loved one, or by leaving it to be found again. That way our book will be on an adventurous journey which we can follow as it gets passed along.

In the meantime, did you read the book? What did you think of it? Also, what do you think of the idea of bookcrossing? It would be great if you decided to register and start passing your books along. The more people releasing books into the wild the more fun. If you decide to join I would be delighted if you wish to mention me, shelj7k, as the member who introduced you.

All best wishes

Journal Entry 2 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Sunday, June 14, 2009

Freddie Montgomery has committed two crimes. He stole a small Dutch master from a wealthy family friend, and he murdered a chambermaid who caught him in the act.

He has little to say about the dead girl. He killed her, he says, because he was physically capable of doing so. It made perfect sense to smash her head in with a hammer. What he cannot understand, and would desperately like to know, is why he was so moved by an unattributed protrait of a middle-aged woman that he felt compelled to steal it...

Journal Entry 3 by shelj7k from Blackrock, Co. Dublin Ireland on Friday, June 19, 2009

The Book of Evidence is off on an adventure by way of a bookray thanks to the following people:

1. kiyoitsukikage (Poland) mail EU <---Done
10. Sherlockfan (NZ) mail Int'l <--- Done
11. mrsboknows (USA) mail USA <--- Done
12. easterngirl71 (USA) mail USA <--- Done
13. nancynova (USA) mail USA/Int'l<--- Ray Complete
Please Ray it forward.....

Please:

* Make a journal entry when you receive the book
* PM the next participant, even if you have their address, to confirm where the book should be sent next.
* Read the book within a month if possible - if delayed make sure to let us know!
* When you've read the book, make a journal entry telling us what you thought.
* Please make a controlled release when sending the book on.
* Enjoy!!!

Many thanks for joining this BookRay!

Journal Entry 4 by shelj7k at by mail, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, June 20, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (6/19/2009 UTC) at by mail, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

And so the adventure begins:

Journal Entry 5 by kiyoitsukikage from Brixton, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 24, 2009

It's arrived, thank you!

Journal Entry 6 by kiyoitsukikage from Brixton, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, July 03, 2009

Didn't really get the hang of the book, couldn't finish it. Passing on.

Journal Entry 7 by kiyoitsukikage at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, July 03, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (7/2/2009 UTC) at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On to the next person.Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 8 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, July 10, 2009

Arrived safely today and I will get to it as soon as I've finished my other rings'rays. Thank you so much for sharing this book Shel xx

Journal Entry 9 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, July 11, 2009

This one looked such a quick read that I thought I'd read this first to reduce the pile of rings/rays I have and to keep them moving.

I quite enjoyed this one, much more than others of Banville's that I have read, and it was really easy to read and to get lost in the story. I didn't have much sympathy for Freddie throughout the entire story, even at the beginning and was thoroughly annoyed at him for disposing of the picture in the way that he did.

Will post this on to Jonniboi the next time I visit the post office. Thanks for sharing Shel xx

Journal Entry 10 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, July 17, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (7/17/2009 UTC) at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

Off to Jonniboi, the next in the ray xx

Journal Entry 11 by Jonniboi from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, July 20, 2009

I've just received this today!!! Sounds good, the thing is, I've just finished 2 bookrings/rays and I have 1 more to do, and just when I thought I was finishing off my bookrings/rays, another pops up, anyway I shall read as soon as I can, thank you so much!

Journal Entry 12 by Jonniboi from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, August 06, 2009

just recently finished this book, I found it difficult to read and it's definitely not my sort of book. At times I was trying to think up as much as I could so that I wouldn't have to read. However it was a good story line, and it was interesting, but it was missing something!

Reserving this for the next person in line, but the problem is I still haven't got a reply (and I sent a PM to this person a few days ago). I'll leave it until Monday and if still no reply I shall ask the next person in line!

Journal Entry 13 by Jonniboi at Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (8/12/2009 UTC) at Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom

Sent it onto Jozebedee, I hope this book is more suited for her than it was for me!

Journal Entry 14 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 13, 2009

Received this morning - thanks :) In TBR pile now - will get 2 it asap!

Journal Entry 15 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Thursday, November 19, 2009

I enjoyed this - although what a horrible little man Freddie Montgomery is! As a result of his own nasty actions he finds himself spiralling into trouble and despair, but at the same time, making no real attempt at ever making his situation better.
This is a worthy 1001 entry, well written and very emotive.
Thanks shelj7k for the opportunity to read this, and apologies for having held onto it for longer than hoped.
Sending off to the next BCer on the list.

Journal Entry 16 by Jozebedee at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Thursday, November 19, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (11/19/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

On its way now to arturogrande. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 17 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, November 22, 2009

Arrived - thanks very much.

Journal Entry 18 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, March 14, 2010

Hmmmm... I thought this was very well written (as is everything by John Banville), with a richness of language which makes reading a pleasure. But like Jonniboi, I too felt that there was something missing, and I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was.
I'm glad I read it, but it left me quite unmoved and went out of my mind almost as soon as I'd finished it.
Thanks for sharing, and I'm sorry to have held onto it for so long.
It's now on its way to kingfan30.

Journal Entry 19 by kingfan30 from -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Arrived safe and sound, I have had a lot of rays/rings turn up over the last week so will get to it as soon as I can.

31 March 10 - I enjoyed this one more than The Sea, although it is still a bit rambling in places and if I lost concentration for a page I would suddenly engage my mind again and would have to reread the page as the story would have skipped and I would not have a clue who/what I was reading about.

I have the address of Fluffy-owl so will get it in the post tomorrow.

Journal Entry 20 by kingfan30 at Durham, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, April 01, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (4/1/2010 UTC) at Durham, County Durham United Kingdom

On its way to Fluffy-Owl

Journal Entry 21 by Fluffy-Owl from Chichester, West Sussex United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Received after Easter, looking forward to it.

Two people after me have asked to be skipped, so am PMing the person after them.

Journal Entry 22 by Fluffy-Owl from Chichester, West Sussex United Kingdom on Thursday, April 22, 2010

Dreadful. I didn't like the other book I read by him, and I'm not going to read any others! On to bigger and better ones!

Posting off to New Zealand later today.

Journal Entry 23 by Fluffy-Owl at Durham, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, April 22, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (4/22/2010 UTC) at Durham, County Durham United Kingdom

A couple of people asked to be skipped, so this is going off to New Zealand later today.

Journal Entry 24 by Sherlockfan from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, May 03, 2010

The book is safely with me now, arriving on the 3rd May. I've just flicked through to see what it looks like and must say that first impressions are slightly off-putting as each page is filled with very dense words and few paragraphs. In fact one para that I chanced upon starts down one page, covers two further full pages and ends halfway down the fourth!!!
Not one to prejudge though so I'll commence in good faith and hope the contents appeal more than the look.
The package, although securely wrapped and marked "Printed Papers" had been slit along one edge although not damaged. Wonder what the opener was expecting to find.

Journal Entry 25 by Sherlockfan from Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, May 09, 2010

I've given up. At first I was entranced with the words and intrigued that I had to reach for the dictionary more frequently than usual. Not sure about Randolph's "side row of long fulvous teeth". Freddie Montgomery was a pretentious and loathesome person. Once he got to the stage of centimetre by centimetre description of a threesome with a couple of women I decided that this was not the book for my precious leisure time.
I've sent a message to mrsboknows and will be posting off as soon as I hear from her.

I am grateful to all those who have taken part in this ring and given me this chance to decide for myself. One can't really know about an author until one tries but I will not be following John Banville again.

May 29
I've not heard from Mrsboknows yet. I'll send her a reminder but not sure what to do if I don't hear from her.

Journal Entry 26 by Sherlockfan at Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (6/2/2010 UTC) at Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand

Posting this bookring book to Mrsboknows today. Hope it travels safely.

Journal Entry 27 by PalmettoBuckeye at Mount Pleasant, South Carolina USA on Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Arrived safely today. It is 3rd in line TBR. Love the note that sherlockfan included with the book. . . made me giggle! :)

Journal Entry 28 by PalmettoBuckeye at Mount Pleasant, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Life is too short to read books that don't interest you. I really did think I'd like this one, but just couldn't get into it. Every time I tried to read it, I'd make it maybe 2 pages before getting up to do something else. Time for the book to keep moving.

Thank you for sharing the book. I'm glad that others before me enjoyed and I do hope those after enjoy also.

Journal Entry 29 by PalmettoBuckeye at Alton, Illinois USA on Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (7/20/2010 UTC) at Alton, Illinois USA

Off to eastergirl71!

Journal Entry 30 by easterngirl71 at Alton, Illinois USA on Saturday, July 24, 2010

Got this book just a few days ago. Am waiting for Pm from book owner! Looks like an intesting read:)

Journal Entry 31 by easterngirl71 at Alton, Illinois USA on Sunday, September 12, 2010

Thank you very much for letting me take a bit longer to get to this book. I will be sending it on hopefully this week to Nancynova! Unfortunately, I had a hard time trying to read the book...so I decided not to finish it and send it on to the person following me:) I usually always read a book no matter what, but for some reason I was unable to even do that with this book. It seemed that the author didn't make to much understandable even from the beginning of this book. Thanks so much for sharing this book with me:)

Journal Entry 32 by easterngirl71 at Alton, Illinois USA on Monday, September 13, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (9/13/2010 UTC) at Alton, Illinois USA

Sending this book to Nancynova, who is on the list to read this book after me. Unforutnately I was unable to read the book. I found it hard to understand what was going on. So I only finished about 40 pages and then decided to send it on for the rest of it's journey! Thanks for sharing:)

Journal Entry 33 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, October 02, 2010

Have this ray now. Thanks. Will PM shelk7 to see if anyone added, or if this is still in ray it forward status.

Journal Entry 34 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, February 23, 2012

ray book; also 1001 book. Difficult to get into - the book is written by a man who is in prison for killing a witness to his crime of stealing a painting. The prose is the rambiling of the man, bouncing between prison and his life leading up to that point. And he is trying to figure out for himself why he is the way he is, and even why he killed the girl. And he admits in this journalling, that what is written cannot be taken as reality, because he may be lying.

Journal Entry 35 by wingNancyNovawing at Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, February 25, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (2/25/2012 UTC) at Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia

A Wishlist book. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 36 by wingjeniwrenwing at Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on Friday, March 09, 2012

WOW I am going to enjoy reading through the many journal entries and there is something very special about receiving well travelled books. Thankyou so much NancyNova for picking me and sending all the way to Australia.

Journal Entry 37 by wingjeniwrenwing at Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, December 24, 2015

This is a great book. Banville's prose is masterful and he has a way of seeing into the very soul of his character that makes this for me a perfect reading experience.

Journal Entry 38 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, January 07, 2016

Lobbed into my PO Box today, having been sent as a
wishlist tag by the ever generous jeniwren.
Thanks very much. :D

Journal Entry 39 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, February 06, 2018

Offered on greenbadger's "One book a month offered 2018" thread for February.

Journal Entry 40 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, February 15, 2018

Disturbing and yet magnificent! The feeling overall was a sense of loss, regret, aloneness and grief. It doesn't matter that Freddie was a weak, spineless and horrible man. The writing is luminous, and goes a long way towards showing him to us.

Journal Entry 41 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, March 06, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (3/6/2018 UTC) at Balingup, Western Australia Australia

Off in the mail to Delphi_Reader as my RABCK for February.
Hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 42 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Thank you crimson-tide, this well-traveled book is now in my hands in Delphi, Greece. This author was on my radar for some time and I have a soft spot for Irish literature too. So, hopefully this will be read pretty soon.

And thank you shelj7k for registering and everyone for making this book's journey so interesting!

Journal Entry 43 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Wednesday, April 04, 2018

John Banville is an author I had on my radar for a while and although some people claim this isn't his best book, it didn't disappoint.

The plot of The Book of Evidence could easily fit in a few sentences. While reading the blurb, I was wondering if it'll spoil it for me. The crime doesn't appear till halfway through the book, but I shouldn't have worried, because the plot/action is not the main draw here. The charm of this book is the very lyrical prose and the detailed description of the main character's observations, feelings and thoughts. Paradoxically, all those ramblings by the main character weren't tiring or mundane, but rather an interesting insight into a confused? pathetic? despisable? psychotic? -insert what you make of it- mind.

Let's face it, Freddie isn't a likeable character. Still, the first person narrative makes for a very interesting read. This is one of those books where the author doesn't preach and doesn't become didactic but on the contrary, the readers can make up their own mind about the hero and about the developments of the story. And more importantly, readers are free to contemplate on various issues without the author interfering with commentary or passing judgement on his heroes or trying to steer on one direction or the other the lines of thinking his novel may provoke.

Checking reviews online, it seems to me that those kind of books don't fit all people, but personaly I enjoyed it a lot.

While I don't think I'll rush to read The Book of Evidence again, I'm very glad I read it. For sure this poetic book is very worthy to be read at least once!

Journal Entry 44 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at to a fellow bookcrosser, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (4/10/2018 UTC) at to a fellow bookcrosser, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

mcsar is interested to read this book too, so off it goes to Canada : )
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 45 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Friday, April 27, 2018

Thank you for sending me this rather controversial book. I am glad for the opportunity to read it.