corner corner Getting Simon: Two Gay Doctors' Journey to Fatherhood

Getting Simon: Two Gay Doctors' Journey to Fatherhood
by Kenneth B. Morgen | Gay & Lesbian
Registered by alkaline-kiwi of Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on 4/7/2009

status (set by bloedengel): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by alkaline-kiwi from Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Picked this up from an opshop in Glen Innes for a bargain price. Having enjoyed 'The Kid' by Dan Savage I thought this one would be worth a read too.

Journal Entry 2 by alkaline-kiwi at Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Sunday, August 07, 2011

Can't believe it took me this long to read this book. Took it down to Greymouth to pass on to annenz & simplyreflected with plans to read it on holiday.
I ended up reading it all in one night, a fascinating read into one couple's road to having a child when traditional methods weren't available. The fact that their experience was happening in the nineties made me wonder what in the open adoption & surrogate process had changed over the past 10, 15 years.

I loved the letters that Kenneth wrote to his son to be, documenting his hopes, dreams and thoughts on becoming a father.
In all I preferred The Kid by Dan Savage as a book on the same subject but with more humour. I did like the warmth and warm fuzzies that this book had and it would be interesting to compare both books.

Journal Entry 3 by alkaline-kiwi at Runanga, West Coast New Zealand on Sunday, August 07, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (8/7/2011 UTC) at Runanga, West Coast New Zealand

passed on in person.

Journal Entry 4 by annenz at Greymouth, West Coast New Zealand on Sunday, October 23, 2011

Have just started reading this and am unable to put it down!

Journal Entry 5 by annenz at Greymouth, West Coast New Zealand on Monday, October 24, 2011

What a fantastic read, finished this morning!!
I loved the letters that were written to their son, also one by the birth mother as well.
Also liked the idea of the forms for becoming a surrogate mother, sample birth plan. Would be interesting to see how much has changed in the last 10 years or so with adoption and surrogacy.

Journal Entry 6 by annenz at Greymouth, West Coast New Zealand on Sunday, June 03, 2012

Going to send to another bxer soon in Christchurch.

Journal Entry 7 by annenz at Greymouth, West Coast New Zealand on Monday, June 04, 2012

Am sending as a rabck to sfogs in Christchurch.

Journal Entry 8 by Sfogs at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, June 10, 2012

Wow! Thank you~!!!

Journal Entry 9 by Sfogs at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, August 11, 2017

I got so frustrated with this story, so many people just dropping out on them or just never getting back to them. If people want to adopt or find a surrogate then they want a child. Stop waving the possibility in their faces then walking off! Humans can be so cruel!
I'm so happy for them both, that after all that trouble they finally got their family.

Journal Entry 10 by Sfogs at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, August 14, 2017

Released 10 mos ago (8/15/2017 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Off to Belgium!

Journal Entry 11 by wingbloedengelwing at Vosselaar, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Saturday, September 09, 2017

Very interesting !
Thank you sfogs, for thinking of me !