corner corner The Comfort of Strangers

The Comfort of Strangers
by Ian McEwan | Literature & Fiction
Registered by tqd of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, April 06, 2009

status (set by caroline2): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by tqd from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, April 06, 2009

Accidentally ended up with a second copy of this one, so I'm registering this copy for release. The cover differs from that above.

I did see the movie adaptation of this many years ago while in London, and thought it very strange.

Journal Entry 2 by tqd from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Sending this copy off on a bookray. Participants are so far (order subject to change without notice):

cat207, AU
Danielle23, UK
Jozebedee, UK
darkhorse4460, UK
mikime, Italy
Marcenda, Portugal
perryfran, US

Journal Entry 3 by tqd at Balmain, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, July 23, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (7/23/2009 UTC) at Balmain, New South Wales Australia

And (finally!) this ray starts its journey. It's on its way to cat207 now.

Sorry for the delay everyone, and happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by wingcat207wing from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Monday, July 27, 2009

Arrived in today's mail. Thanks Tania. X

Journal Entry 5 by wingcat207wing from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Saturday, August 01, 2009

A very strange story and certainly not my favourite Ian McEwan.

Thanks tqd. I'll get this in the mail to Danielle23 when I return from my trip to Melbourne next week.

Journal Entry 6 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Arrived safely today and I will read this shortly. Thanks for sending the book so quickly cat207 xx

Journal Entry 7 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, August 14, 2009

Oh my goodness, what an ending!! Although I did suspect something sinister, what actually happened was so unexpected I was shocked. A very entertaining book but not my favourite McEwan.

Will be off to Jozebedee soon xx

Journal Entry 8 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, August 14, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (8/14/2009 UTC) at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

Off to Jozebedee xx

Journal Entry 9 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Received safely - thank you. On TBR pile - will get to it asap :)

Journal Entry 10 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Sunday, November 22, 2009

I couldn't put this down! What a nail-biter! This was such a strange and sinister story, but so well written I could imagine where it all took place. If this had've been the film (which I haven't seen) I would've been shouting 'Don't go back!!!' LOL. It was not at all what I expected - but so much packed into such a small book! I would definitely recommend this to other readers.
Thanks tqd for sharing - I have pm'd the next in line. Will send on when I get their address.

Journal Entry 11 by Jozebedee at -- Controlled release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, November 23, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (11/23/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

On it's way! Enjoy :)

Journal Entry 12 by darkhorse4460 from East Hagbourne, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Safely arrived today. Thanks jozebedee and tqd for the bookring. This is a very slim volume and shouldn't take me too long hopefully.

Journal Entry 13 by darkhorse4460 from East Hagbourne, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, November 30, 2009

Oh my what a disturbing and macabre little novel. This is the first early McEwan I have read and I wasn’t really sure what to expect.

It has a very strange and dream like quality. Set in an unnamed city that is obviously Venice but not quite right, a sort of alternate skewed reality Venice, McEwan cranks up the unnerving atmosphere and tension effortlessly while not having much happen but making the reader feel uncomfortable and apprehensive. It builds to a devastating and unforseen climax.

I found Colin and Mary intensely irritating as characters and couldn’t really understand what on earth they were doing in this place, supposedly ‘on holiday’ but paralised by inertia, totally self absorbed and really behaving quite stupidly most of the time. They did not however deserve what finally happens to them. Robert and Caroline are truly chilling pair. I don’t want to say any more about them without spoiling – but just be careful who you befriend when lost in a strange city.

Thanks tqd for sharing this, I shall be in touch with the next reader shortly.

Journal Entry 14 by darkhorse4460 at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (12/2/2009 UTC) at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Posted today to mikime in Rome :-)

Journal Entry 15 by wingmikimewing from Roma, Lazio Italy on Sunday, December 06, 2009

This arrived yesterday. I'll read it as soon as I finish another ring that came here first. Thank you for the beautiful postcard, darkhorse4460! :)

Miki

Journal Entry 16 by wingmikimewing from Roma, Lazio Italy on Sunday, January 03, 2010

This was different from other McEwan's books I read. I was a bit unnnerved by the incredibly long time it takes the story to get to the point. I did feel something really bad was going on or going to happen, and it seems take too long to get there, too much of a prologue, too short a climax (though very striking and dramatic). The main characters seem too naive and careless sometimes, but still it's a captivating story, where the maze of the city streets seems to work against the protagonists as much as the actual people responsible for what happens to them. A dark story indeed. I didn't see the movie adptation, but I'd be curious to see it. Thanks so much for the ring anyway! It is leaving for Marcenda tomorrow morning.

Miki

Journal Entry 17 by wingMarcendawing on Thursday, January 07, 2010

I just got it and will read it as soon as possible. Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year!

Journal Entry 18 by wingMarcendawing on Saturday, February 06, 2010

Wow. Very well written, I couldn't put it down. There's a sense of impending doom from the start. Thanks for sharing this book. It will soon travel to the next reader.

Journal Entry 19 by wingMarcendawing on Thursday, February 11, 2010

Sent today to perryfran. My apologies for the delay.

Journal Entry 20 by wingperryfranwing from North Ogden, Utah USA on Friday, February 19, 2010

Received in today's mail. Thanks for including me in this bookray. I enjoy McEwan. I have a few rings in front of this but hope to get to it soon.

This is No. 283 on the 1001 books you must read before you die list.

Journal Entry 21 by wingperryfranwing from North Ogden, Utah USA on Saturday, March 06, 2010

Bookray
I am last on this bookray so decided to try to keep this one going by continuing this bookray. Please PM me if interested. Bookray will remain open until last person has the book.

Participants so far:

. Moeshell from Texas, USA (International)
. benschu from Germany (International)
. sintra from Germany (EU preferred)
. trisousa from Portugal (EU only)<----Asked to be skipped
. starflash from UK (UK only)
. Cinderess from UK (?)
. Ashleigh4985 from UK (EU preferred)
. caroline2 from UK (International)<----Book is stalled here
. BethanyGordon from UK (EU preferred)
. katrinat from UK (International)
. raeliz64 from UK (International)
. fushmush from Australia (International if needed)

Note: Order is subject to change based on shipping preferences and others joining the bookray.

How the bookray works:
* Someone will PM you for your address, PM them back and provide your address
* When you receive the book, please make a journal entry letting everyone know that you received it
* Put the book at the top of your TBR pile (under other rings/rays that arrived first)
* Read the book (take your time and enjoy the book, don't feel rushed to finish it but try to pass it on within a couple of months - others are waiting!)
* When the end is in sight, check the book's journal and PM the next person to get their address
* Finish the book, make another journal entry and let everyone know what you thought of the book
* Send the book to the next person on the list (please use the cheapest shipping method available), make release notes (Controlled Release) or journal entry to let everyone know that it's in the mail
* END OF THE RAY, The last person on the ray could try and continue the ray, if possible, or donate it to the 1001-libray.

Please feel free to PM me at any time with questions

This book is stalled with caroline2 who does not respond to PMs. Hopefully it will continue to move sometime in the future.

Journal Entry 22 by wingperryfranwing from North Ogden, Utah USA on Saturday, March 06, 2010

Finished reading this this afternoon. A very moody, disturbing, and haunting short novel by McEwan. This story of two lovers on holiday being drawn into a plot by another couple to fulfill the couple's violent fantasies was very unsettling. I have read several other McEwan novels and I wouldn't consider this his best work but it definitely left you with a chill at the end.

Thanks tqd for sharing this. I will be continuing this ray soon.

Journal Entry 23 by wingperryfranwing at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Monday, March 08, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (3/8/2010 UTC) at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

On its way to Moeshell in Texas to start this bookray. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 24 by Moeshell from Richardson, Texas USA on Friday, March 12, 2010

Book arrive yesterday. Started reading this morning. Shouldn't take too long to get through, only 120 pages.
Thanks perryfran for the postcard to. Love them as bookmarks.

Journal Entry 25 by Moeshell from Richardson, Texas USA on Wednesday, March 17, 2010

This is my first McEwan novel. Thought about reading Atonement, but not so sure I will after reading this short novel. Thought the book was boring, even though it was 120 pages. I had the ending pretty much figured out when the couple first meets Robert. I couldn’t get over the long drawn out sentences. I would read then get lost in a single sentence of what was going on. This may have been a way to build up the suspense but it just annoyed me. It just wasn’t the right time for me to read this one. Maybe I’ll watch the movie some other time. Thanks for sharing this ray with me anyways! Waiting for the next person address and I’ll send off to continue its journey.

Journal Entry 26 by Moeshell at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, March 22, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (3/19/2010 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way across the pond into Germany. Used the cheapest post available, so may take a while to make the trip.

Journal Entry 27 by benschu from Lüdenscheid, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, March 28, 2010

Thanks, got it.

6.12.
The book is very interesting. Every sentence is important and can change the hole story. Be careful.

Journal Entry 28 by benschu at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (1/27/2011 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Finally on the way

Journal Entry 29 by wingsintrawing at Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, February 03, 2011

The book arrived safely in Bonn and will soon be read. Thanks a lot! :-)

Hope your exams went well, benschu!

Journal Entry 30 by wingsintrawing at Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, February 12, 2011

Though it's not my favourite novel by Ian McEwan I thought this disturbing story was really gripping and well-written as usual. The ending wasn't unexpected but shocking nonetheless.

Thanks for sharing this book! It will be on its way again soon. :-)

Edit: trisousa wants to be skipped so the book is going to starflash now.

Journal Entry 31 by wingstarflashwing at Crawley, West Sussex United Kingdom on Monday, February 28, 2011

arrived today, thank you!

Journal Entry 32 by wingstarflashwing at Crawley, West Sussex United Kingdom on Sunday, March 13, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (3/15/2011 UTC) at Crawley, West Sussex United Kingdom

off to cindress early next week.

Clearly an early piece by McEwan, not so good as his later work, but a worth while short read none the less.

Journal Entry 33 by Cinderess at a RAY, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Friday, March 18, 2011

Thanks for sending this on to me. I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 34 by Cinderess at A RABCK SURPRISE!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, March 27, 2011

SPOILERS ALERT!

What a strange story. (But one I read in a sitting which speaks volumes for the tension in the read and compelling story.) I expected the outcome but now how/why.

The holidaying couple are so preoccupied in themselves, caught up in their little routines of eating, sleeping, having sex and drug addled discussions, that they don't even post the cards back to Mary's children. Their world becomes increasingly insular and they become drawn (or end up -because they are in the same area?) to going back to see the couple...

I don't understand why Colin doesn't shake the man's advances off and ends up being such a puppet. Surely his bar mineral water was spiked, otherwise how to explain the lack of self-preservation when presented with the razor blade?

Which country do you think this is set in? I would say Italy but unsure...

Journal Entry 35 by Cinderess at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, April 02, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (4/2/2011 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Looking forward to reading more journal entries for this book.

Journal Entry 36 by Ashleigh4985 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, April 04, 2011

This was waiting for me when I arrived home, I will get to it as soon as I finish my current book and can't see it taking long when I get started.

Thanks for sharing

Journal Entry 37 by Ashleigh4985 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I was hooked the whole way through this little book, found myself wanting to stay on the bus longer just so i could carry on reading and find out what happens!

I agree with a lot of the other posters that Mary and Colin were too self involved and very niave to get themselves into that situation. Why did they go back??

Thanks for sharing, I will pm the next in line for their address and get this sent on as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 38 by Ashleigh4985 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (5/17/2011 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Really sorry this has taken me so long to post this, just kept forgetting to take it into work.

Put it in the post this afternoon so should be with you soon.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 39 by caroline2 at Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, May 20, 2011

Arrived yesterday thank you!