corner corner Isles of Shoals (NH) (Images of America)

Isles of Shoals (NH) (Images of America)
by Richard N. Johnson | Nonfiction
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 3/30/2009

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, March 30, 2009

I've read about the Isles of Shoals (mostly via Celia Thaxter's writings, which include her own gardens and an account of the dramatic murders that took place on Smuttynose in the late 1800s), and have wanted to visit them, but so far the closest I've come is seeing them from a whale-watch boat as we zipped by. When I saw this "Images of America" book about the isles at a local bookstore I couldn't resist.

Turns out that it's mostly photographs, with the informational text crammed into captions, but it's still an interesting overview of the isles. I was startled to see some of the notables who visited the Isles over time - Edwin Booth, for example...

[For more in-depth memoirs, see Oscar Leighton's Ninety Years at the Isles of Shoals.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Isles of Shoals Steamship Company wharf in Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA on Monday, July 13, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (7/13/2009 UTC) at Isles of Shoals Steamship Company wharf in Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA

I left this book on a bench on the Isles of Shoals Steampship Company wharf at about 3. Hope the finder enjoys it!