corner corner The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
by Stephen Chbosky | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingrahar109wing of Ash Vale, Surrey United Kingdom on 3/26/2009

status (set by kiwiinengland): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingrahar109wing from Ash Vale, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, March 26, 2009

from amazon:
Charlie is a freshman. And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mixed tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Journal Entry 2 by wingrahar109wing at wishlist TAG, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 14, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (1/14/2013 UTC) at wishlist TAG, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases

Posted to J4shaw as part of the wishlist tag game.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingJ4shawwing at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Saturday, January 26, 2013

This book arrived safe and sound in Australia this morning!
Thanks very much for sending.

Journal Entry 4 by wingJ4shawwing at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Monday, July 08, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (7/9/2013 UTC) at Darwin, Northern Territory Australia

Loved it!
I genuinely don't know why I haven't sought this book out sooner.
It was interesting to read something by a screenwriter, and I very much look forward to watching the film to see how it compares. I am very disappointed that this is Stephen Chbosky's only novel, as I would love to read more of his work.
The way the book was set out (in letter format) is something I particularly enjoy.
I think it captured the dizzying highs and crushing lows of late school-hood, and is just simply beautifully portrayed.
When reading the book I found that I was identifying autism in Charlie's character, but after finishing the book I am not sure this was the case. Also given that Charlie reveals that he often has visions, I am more inclined to think he was schizophrenic.
Hmm, I think this book will have me thinking about it for some time to come.

I tagged Kiwiinengland on 12/6/2013 in one of the Wishlist Tag Games, so now that I have knocked this off Mt TBR it's off on its travels!

Journal Entry 5 by kiwiinengland at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Safely arrived in shaky quakey Wellington - thanks very much. I love the idea of using wrapping paper to send books.

Journal Entry 6 by kiwiinengland at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, February 28, 2015

This book places you firmly in the confusion of being a teenager. Everyone is slightly distant, which I think showed the self absorption of an adolescent mind.

I would recommend this book, and I did enjoy reading it. I know there was a movie made from this story, and have been pondering how this would have worked given so much seemed to be rather subtle observations and internal struggles.

Journal Entry 7 by kiwiinengland at Hobson Villa in Thorndon, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, August 05, 2017

Released 3 mos ago (8/5/2017 UTC) at Hobson Villa in Thorndon, Wellington Province New Zealand

Journal Entry 8 by kiwiinengland at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, November 05, 2017

Read by someone and returned to the shelf. Now to continue its travels.

Journal Entry 9 by kiwiinengland at Houses of Parliament in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, November 05, 2017

Released 2 wks ago (11/5/2017 UTC) at Houses of Parliament in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

Left on the statue of Richard Seddon, the country''s first Prime Minister.