corner corner Krik? Krak!

Krik? Krak!
by Edwidge Danticat | Literature & Fiction
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 5/2/2009

status (set by wendyv): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, May 02, 2009

Short stories about Haiti and Haitians..many of them women. I didn't know very much about Haiti but now I want to read more from this author.

View Larger Map

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, May 02, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (5/2/2009 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

These memorable stories went to lunch at Ryan's, then found a new reader. Hope you like them!

Journal Entry 3 by allysther from Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Sunday, June 28, 2009

Highly recommended by a ToC member. Thanks for passing this along. I can't wait to hear all about your trip!

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, September 19, 2009

Came back to me during our lunch at Ryan's today. I'll try to find a new home for it!

Journal Entry 5 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, September 26, 2009

This book has started its travels as bookray, but signups are still open - just send me a PM and/or post in the forum thread - preferrably both!

Jare (NM)
FeistyPom2Love (CA)
tiatia (VA)
ealasaidmae (WV)
glitterbee (Germany)
dutch-book (Netherlands)
wendyv (Australia)

** Then off on new adventures! ***

Please journal when you receive the book and try not to keep this book for longer than a month. If you think you'll need longer please journal here and let us know what's happening. When you're done, make another journal entry to let us know what you thought and where the book is going next.

Oh, and go ahead and use surface mail if you have the option...

Thanks for helping this book travel!

Journal Entry 6 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, October 02, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (10/1/2009 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Mailed to Jare today to start the ray. Go book go!

I missed it before, but apparently people have tried to ban this book.

Journal Entry 7 by wingjarewing from Hudson, Florida USA on Sunday, October 11, 2009

Arrived this week, I have one in front of it then I'll get to it, thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 8 by wingjarewing from Hudson, Florida USA on Wednesday, October 21, 2009

These stories were great! Rough and gritty, an experience I won't soon forget. I will pass this on as soon as I get an address!

Journal Entry 9 by wingjarewing at Carpinteria, California USA on Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Released 7 yrs ago (12/15/2009 UTC) at Carpinteria, California USA

Sending on it's way to FeistyPom2love! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by wingFeistyPom2Lovewing from San Ramon, California USA on Monday, December 21, 2009

Krik? Krak! arrived safely in the mail today. I've been wanting to read this book for years, so now's my chance!!

I'm currently reading another book that isn't too long. As soon as I'm finished reading it, I'll begin Krik? Krak!

Thanks Hyphen8 for starting this bookray.

Journal Entry 11 by wingFeistyPom2Lovewing from San Ramon, California USA on Wednesday, December 30, 2009

I just finished reading "Krik? Krak!" today. I enjoyed reading them all very much. It is difficult to pick a favorite of them all, however I enjoyed reading "New York Day Women", "Caroline's Wedding" & "Epilogue: Women Like Us" the most.

I'll mail this book off to tiatia sometime next week.

Journal Entry 12 by wingFeistyPom2Lovewing at to the next participant, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 11, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (1/12/2010 UTC) at to the next participant, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

This one is now off FINALLY to tiatia via media!

Journal Entry 13 by tiatia from Fredericksburg, Virginia USA on Saturday, January 23, 2010

A timely group of stories of Haiti and the tradition of struggles with poverty and politics. Very well written.

Journal Entry 14 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Monday, January 25, 2010

It's here and, as usual, it's either drought or deluge! This arrived today with another ring book, bringing me to a total of three in my possession. It may take me a little while to get through them but I promise to be diligent.

Journal Entry 15 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Lovely stories, and the perfect time to be reading them. I go every day to visit my grandfather in his nursing home and today I took this book with me to share some of the stories with him. He kept asking me to read just one more. He said the author painted wonderful pictures for him, just as she did for me. So your book brought enjoyment to two people, hyphen8! Thank you for sharing. I have glitterbee's address and will get this to the post office tomorrow, if the snow's not too bad.

Journal Entry 16 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How wonderful that you were able to share this with him! Thanks for letting me know. :)

Journal Entry 17 by ealasaidmae at St. Albans, West Virginia USA on Thursday, February 11, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (2/10/2010 UTC) at St. Albans, West Virginia USA

mailed off today

Journal Entry 18 by glitterbee from Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Sunday, February 21, 2010

I arrived in the U.S. yesterday and the book was already waiting here for me :)
Thank you, ealasaidmae, for sending the book.
I will read it and then send it on in 6 weeks, as soon as I get back to Germany.

Journal Entry 19 by glitterbee at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (4/21/2010 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

I truly enjoyed reading these short stories. I never knew much about Haiti (a little more after the earthquake) before reading this book. The stories are beautifully written and after starting the book I couldn't put it down. I loved how the stories are intertwined.

___________________________________
The book is on its way to dutch-book now. My sincere apologies for keeping it for so long. Due to family affairs my life is turned upside down at the moment and I am a little slow with things.

Journal Entry 20 by dutch-book from Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Saturday, April 24, 2010

It got here today. This looks like a wonderful book to me. Nice lettertype, it feels good to hold in my hand. I don't know the author, so will be an introduction.

Journal Entry 21 by dutch-book at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I'm about to start this one today!

Journal Entry 22 by dutch-book at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I finished and liked it. I liked the first stories better than the last, but I think that is because of my fascination with dead. I really liked how the stories all connected to each other, however small the connection was. I'll PM wendyv for her adress.

Journal Entry 23 by dutch-book at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (6/9/2010 UTC) at Weesp, Noord-Holland Netherlands

On it's way to wendyv. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 24 by wendyv at Blind Bight, Victoria Australia on Monday, July 05, 2010

How haunting. I know this book will have given me images I will find difficultnot to think of. Such a wonderful testament to the strength of women and refugees. One of the best books I have read this year. I am so appreciative for being included in the ring. Thank you. :) I will send this to my sister in the UK who will love this book and probably then send it on to other bookcrossers. Thank you for sharing this with me.

Journal Entry 25 by wendyv at Blind Bight, Victoria Australia on Monday, July 05, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (7/5/2010 UTC) at Blind Bight, Victoria Australia

Off to the UK to my sister, who I know will enjoy this haunting collection of short stories and then pass it to other bookcrossers.