corner corner The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories

The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories
by Susanna Clarke | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by Shimmy-crazy of Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, March 19, 2009

status (set by Lottiotta): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Shimmy-crazy from Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, March 19, 2009

Synopsis:
'Faerie is never as far away as you think. Sometimes you find you have crossed an invisible line and must cope, as best you can, with petulant princesses, vengeful owls, ladies who pass their time embroidering terrible fates or with endless paths in deep, dark woods and houses that never appear the same way twice. The heroines and heroes bedevilled by such problems in these fairy tales include a conceited Regency clergyman, an eighteenth-century Jewish doctor and Mary, Queen of Scots, as well as two characters from "Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell: Strange himself and the Raven King".'

Journal Entry 2 by Shimmy-crazy from Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, March 27, 2009

Am sending this one out as a bookring.

Here's the list:
amcamp1644 South Korea (post ?)
ealasaidmae US (post US)
Bug2004 US (post US)
morsecode US (post US/Canada)
lauraloo29 Canada (post Intl)
Lottiotta UK (post Intl)
and back to
me

Posted 16/04/09

Journal Entry 3 by amcamp1644 from Rockville, Maryland USA on Friday, April 24, 2009

Got it today! It's #1 on my read list, so shouldn't take too long. Thanks Shimmy-crazy!

Finished it this weekend. I'm PMing the next person on the list now.

Journal Entry 4 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Thursday, June 11, 2009

I'm so sorry that I haven't journalled this at all. I've had it for several weeks and have already read it. I've had family issues going on and everything else got pushed aside.

It's a wonderful book! I love Susanna Clarke. She made my short list of favorite writers after I read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and she's definitely staying there. I love her fairies. They are exactly what I imagine fairies to be. I could have done without the preface and the framework of a collection put together by a professor of Sidhe Studies. That seems a bit silly. But the stories themselves are great. Thank you so much for sharing, Shimmy-crazy! Again, please accept my apologies for being so lax with this. Life just got away from me for a bit. I'll PM Bug2004 now and hopefully have this moving again very soon.

Journal Entry 5 by ealasaidmae at St. Albans, West Virginia USA on Friday, June 12, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (6/12/2009 UTC) at St. Albans, West Virginia USA

on its way to Bug2004

Journal Entry 6 by Bug2004 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Monday, June 15, 2009

Re'cvd today...have several in front, but will get to it as quick as I can. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 7 by Bug2004 at Omaha, Nebraska USA on Thursday, June 03, 2010

Loved this. Love stories about fairies, etc. Enjoyable. So sorry for keeping it so long. Mailed off today!

Journal Entry 8 by morsecode at Buffalo, New York USA on Sunday, June 13, 2010

This book arrived safe and sound in Buffalo, NY yesterday.

Journal Entry 9 by morsecode at Buffalo, New York USA on Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sorry to have kept this book for so long. I've been reading it slowly, but steadily.
I'll contact the next in line and get the book mailed off next week.

Journal Entry 10 by morsecode at Buffalo, New York USA on Saturday, August 07, 2010

This book is off to lauraloo29 today.

I had a really difficult time of it with Clarke's novel Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell so I wasn't sure how I'd like The Ladies of Grace Adieu. But, since it's short stories and I liked the cover art, The Ladies of Grace Adieu went on my to-be-read list.

The Ladies of Grace Adieu is not a quick read. One needs to spend time with these stories, to give them one's undivided attention. Philip Womack of the Spectator writes, "these tales read as if Jane Austen had rewritten the Brothers Grimm," which I think it a pretty good summation.

Journal Entry 11 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Friday, August 20, 2010

This arrived safe and sound today. I have a couple of other rings before it, but I will keep it moving. Thank you!

Journal Entry 12 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Sunday, September 12, 2010

I could not get into this book. Its not really my type after all. I wonder what made me think it was when I signed up? Not to worry. I have the next address and will get it out within the week. Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 13 by Lottiotta at Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 28, 2010

How exciting! I loved Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, and if I'd thought ahead and not been thoroughly ensconced in A Game of Thrones I'd probably have re-read it in preparation for this bookring. Anyway, I'm sure I'll enjoy it a lot, and it's a slim volume so I don't mind putting A Game of Thrones on pause awhile, since it's 800 pages long and I don't read much these days...!

Thank you for sending it my way!

27th October 2010
I'm now on page 110, just under halfway through, and loving it. :)

31st October 2010
Finished reading this last night, on my last evening in Paris. :) The first story, I found, was a little bit confusing. I was quite sleepy when I was reading it, but I thought it was a bit strangely written. All the other stories were proper fairy tales, with great characters and subjects, and exactly the right length, etc. She really is a master, this Susanna Clarke.

Thank you so much for sharing. I already have Shimmy-crazy's address, so I'll be posting it ASAP!

Journal Entry 14 by Lottiotta at Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, November 01, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (11/1/2010 UTC) at Swansea, Wales United Kingdom

Posted second class to Shimmy-crazy. :) I hope you get home safely, book! Loved it.