corner corner The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray
by Oscar Wilde | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingHeaven150wing of Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Monday, March 09, 2009

status (set by 1001-library): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingHeaven150wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Monday, March 09, 2009

Cover art is different.

Description:

A lush, cautionary tale of a life of vileness and deception or a loving portrait of the aesthetic impulse run rampant? Why not both? After Basil Hallward paints a beautiful, young man's portrait, his subject's frivolous wish that the picture change and he remain the same comes true. Dorian Gray's picture grows aged and corrupt while he continues to appear fresh and innocent. After he kills a young woman, "as surely as if I had cut her little throat with a knife", Dorian Gray is surprised to find no difference in his vision or surroundings. "The roses are not less lovely for all that. The birds sing just as happily in my garden."

As Hallward tries to make sense of his creation, his epigram-happy friend Lord Henry Wotton encourages Dorian in his sensual quest with any number of Wildean paradoxes, including the delightful "When we are happy we are always good, but when we are good we are not always happy." But despite its many languorous pleasures, The Picture of Dorian Gray is an imperfect work. Compared to the two (voyeuristic) older men, Dorian is a bore, and his search for ever new sensations far less fun than the novel's drawing-room discussions. Even more oddly, the moral message of the novel contradicts many of Wilde's supposed aims, not least "no artist has ethical sympathies. An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style." Nonetheless, the glamour boy gets his just deserts. And Wilde, defending Dorian Gray, had it both ways: "All excess, as well as all renunciation, brings its own punishment."

This is a 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die book

Journal Entry 2 by wingHeaven150wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Thursday, May 20, 2010

I liked this story, sorta. The writing style took a bit of getting used to. The first half of the story was okay, the second, much better. Glad to have read such a classic though.

Read as part of the SIY #12, The Set It Yourself Reading Challenge and the Read 10 1001 Books to read before you die books this year challenge.

Journal Entry 3 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Thanks so much for your donation Heaven150!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the 1001-library bookshelf.