corner corner Lost Subs: From the Hunley to the Kursk

Lost Subs: From the Hunley to the Kursk
by Spencer Dunmore | Nonfiction
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 3/7/2009

status (set by Zyrilia): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, March 07, 2009

I'm fond of discovery-and-exploration accounts, as well as tales of tragedy, so when I saw this lost-submarines hardcover on the bargain rack at a local bookstore I had to have it. It includes sections on the Confederate submarine Hunley, on several U-boats, on the US submarine Squalus and the UK's Thetis, and concludes with a chapter about the Russian sub Kursk. This is all fit into an overview of the history of submarines, with lots of photos of subs in action - as well as some undersea shots of the sunken subs, from Ballard's and others' expeditions. The book includes accounts by and about some of the individuals: sub commanders, surviving crew, or the relatives of crew members who were lost.

[I came across a nice book about the Hunley recently; it's aimed at younger readers, but contains lots of interesting information and pictures: Secrets of a Civil War Submarine.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at USS Albacore Park/Visitor's Center in Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA on Monday, July 13, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (7/13/2009 UTC) at USS Albacore Park/Visitor's Center in Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA

I left this book on a bench in the Memorial Garden at the Albacore Park at about 2. Hope the finder enjoys it!

Journal Entry 3 by Zyrilia from Herndon, Virginia USA on Wednesday, July 15, 2009

While spending a day in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, we were very surprised to find the book at the Memorial Garden. My husband and I are both enjoying it. We have a particular interest in submarines, as my husband's uncle was aboard the USS Barbel (a Balao class submarine) when it was lost in the Pacific during WWII.

When we're done with this book, we definitely plan to "set it free" again - hopefully somewhere it will be most appreciated by its finder.

Journal Entry 4 by Zyrilia at Denver International Airport (DEN) in -- Airports and planes, Colorado USA on Saturday, August 29, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (8/29/2009 UTC) at Denver International Airport (DEN) in -- Airports and planes, Colorado USA

Left at gate B31 to be read by the next traveller. Enjoy!