corner corner Candy Girl: A Year in the Life of an Unlikely Stripper

Candy Girl: A Year in the Life of an Unlikely Stripper
by Diablo Cody | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by elle311 of Suffolk, Virginia USA on 7/25/2009

status (set by nicolesinger): available

Journal Entry 1 by elle311 from Suffolk, Virginia USA on Saturday, July 25, 2009

Kindly donated to be released at my OBCZ's.

Journal Entry 2 by elle311 from Suffolk, Virginia USA on Sunday, August 02, 2009

This book made dinner late yesterday! Interesting story of a self-confessed geek girl drawn to the world of stripping. It's not as glamorous as it may seem.

Journal Entry 3 by elle311 at Bean There Cafe in Norfolk, Virginia USA on Thursday, October 08, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (10/7/2009 UTC) at Bean There Cafe in Norfolk, Virginia USA

Hello!
What you have in your hands is an honest-to-goodness gift, no strings attached. You may keep it forever and ever, pass it on to a friend, or release it in the wild like I did. I know it may seem a little odd to find this lying around--it's my way of touching the lives of others in a positive way, with the hope that it made your day. ;)

If you are new to BookCrossing and find this book and this site, welcome! Enjoy the site, the book and hopefully the BookCrossing community. I hope you'll join BookCrossing (doesn't cost anything to join!) and if you do, please consider using me, elle311, as the member who referred you. Or you may remain anonymous!

If you are an old hand at BookCrossing, thanks for picking up the book! Either way, I hope you'll journal so all the previous and future readers can track this book's journey.

Happy reading and Happy BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 4 by MapheadMike from Norfolk, Virginia USA on Friday, November 06, 2009

Second catch in this comfortable OBCZ. Thanks for keeping up all of the local OBCZs. I promise to start releasing here again once I clear the 52 towns challenge.

Journal Entry 5 by MapheadMike at Newport, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (10/13/2010 UTC) at Newport, North Carolina USA

It's on the way to someone I found on the newly repaired wishlist feature. Finally, something works on this site. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 6 by nicolesinger at Newport, North Carolina USA on Friday, October 15, 2010

A wishlist book! Squee! And a surprise RABCK, to boot...

Thank you so much, QOCMike - I'm really looking forward to this.

Journal Entry 7 by nicolesinger at Newport, North Carolina USA on Friday, November 12, 2010

Darn it. I wanted to like this. I wanted to like the author. Unfortunately, where Cody seems to be trying for edgy and transgressive, what she puts across is self-absorbed, privileged, and crass. Entering a subculture and then sniggering behind your hand at what you find there is not social commentary. And despite obvious desperation for attention, having spent a year as a stripper does not inevitably make you cool.

Every now and then, when she's not trying to show how witty and blase she can be, Cody does come across human and genuinely funny. I think I would have enjoyed this book a lot more if she'd written it with another ten years of life experience to soften her rough edges.

For a much less sophomoric depiction of a stripper's life, I recommend Real Live Nude Girl by Tracy Quan.

I've been curious about this book for ages, so I'm glad I got a chance to read it. I hope its next reader enjoys it a bit more! Thanks again, QOCMike!