corner corner One True Theory of Love

One True Theory of Love
by Laura Fitzgerald | Romance
Registered by LyzzyBee of Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on 3/4/2009

status (set by abbyaguas): available

Journal Entry 1 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 04, 2009

I loved Laura Fitzgerald's first book, "Veil of Roses"; she was kind enough to send me two copies of her new novel, one for me and one for BookCrossing. I ought to state here that my name appearing in the acknowledgements (whee! hooray!) did not have a bearing on what I thought of this new novel!

So, we find Meg Clarke, devoted single mother to her son Henry (beautifully portrayed) and enthusiastic, loving teacher to her kindergarten class. She worries about her sister, trapped in domestic servitude, loves her Dad unreservedly, and has a very difficult mother who she only manages to avoid due to Clarabelle having a reluctance to travel more than five minutes from her house. Meg's just about got over being abandoned by her husband when she fell pregnant, and has a good, if slightly narrow, life set up, enjoying living in her apartment complex in a community of odd and interesting folk.

Then she meets Ahmed in a cafe. The spark is immediate and mutual. But is it worth stepping out into the fray again for? Meanwhile, around Meg things are changing, people are reinventing themselves and getting or giving themselves second chances. Should she let Ahmed into her and Henry's life? Just what is the state of her parents' marriage as they reach retirement?

This is a lovely book. More than a simple love story, we have loads of fully rounded, fleshed-out characters, Henry and Clarabelle, in all her awfulness, being my favourites. Ahmed is a truly yummy romantic interest but also a kind and lovely man, and the scenes between him and Henry are beautifully observed. It's worth noting that the city of Tuscon is almost a character in its own right, portrayed lovingly and taking on a role in the novel.

There's an author discussion section in the back which did reassure me that I wasn't going mad - this novel was originally a thriller about a man being drawn into the Iran-America conflict (Ahmed is Iranian American) and I was sure I'd seen a scene early on with a police raid... I was looking for this throughout the book, hoping it wouldn't happen - and it didn't!

Anyway, an excellent read with a lovely cover - and I will be offering a bookring for it soon!

Journal Entry 2 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 04, 2009

BookRay!

Usual rules apply...

Make a journal entry when you receive the book
Contact the next reader for their address when you are almost done
Post a review when you've read the book - please try to send it on within a month of receipt if you can
Make a journal entry or controlled release notes when you send the book on

PARTICIPANTS

Birmingham-Rose UK (anywhere)
Calalilly UK (UK)
[[[Purplerosebud UK (UK pref, o/s poss) - ASKED TO BE SKIPPED]]]
Celticseahorse UK (Europe)
Scotsbookie UK (Europe)
Cross-patch UK (anywhere)
akg UK (anywhere, surface)
Inver UK (anywhere)
[[[Kerriou UK (UK/Eur) -- could not be contacted]]]
Maria-Nunes Portugal (EU pref)
LindyLouMac Italy (from EU to EU)
Dutchbooky Netherlands (EU)
Mallary France (anywhere but France)
Jean-Sol Australia (anywhere)
Lauraloo29 Canada (anywhere) <---- it's here!
valentina1209 US (US only)

Journal Entry 3 by LyzzyBee at Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, March 14, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (3/14/2009 UTC) at Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Posting to the first person in the BookRay!

Journal Entry 4 by birmingham-rose from Burntwood, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Received this morning. Thank you Liz, this will be my immediate read starting tonight. I loved the first book 'Veil of Roses', so I am expecting this to appeal to me too.

Journal Entry 5 by birmingham-rose from Burntwood, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Another superb book by Laura Fitzgerald. Wonderful characters, believable storylines, the type that just absorb you. Ahmed's love of Meg and Henry was wonderful. I also loved the side storylines regarding Meg's parents and one of Meg's schoolchildren Marita. A very touching novel that gets full marks from me!

Well Done Laura, keep up the FANTASTIC work!!!

Thank you Liz, will be moving this on within the next couple of days!

Journal Entry 6 by birmingham-rose from Burntwood, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 08, 2009

I've just heard from Marlene and she is a little swamped with books at the moment and so has requested that I send the book on to her just after the Easter holidays, thus giving her a few days grace. Marking the book as reserved.

Journal Entry 7 by calalilly from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 27, 2009

This was waiting for me when I went into work today. Thank you Birmingham- Rose I've got a couple of rings ahead of this. Looking forward to starting it though.

Journal Entry 8 by calalilly from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Thank you so much Lyzzy for sending this book out on a ring. What a great book it was, such a lovely story. One of those books that I didn't want to put down until I'd finished reading it. Will be sending this off to Celticseahorse later in the week when I receive her address.

Journal Entry 9 by celticseahorse from Newquay, Cornwall United Kingdom on Saturday, June 20, 2009

Arrived safely in Cornwall today, already started it, took a few pages to get a hang of the American idiom but now enjoying the humour, wisecracks and obvious love between the mother and son:-) pity I have to go out or I would happily just read this until it is is finished..just the book to help with a very stressful week. Thanks for the ring Lyzzybee a good choice as always.

Journal Entry 10 by celticseahorse from Newquay, Cornwall United Kingdom on Sunday, June 21, 2009

Finished in one sitting:-0 I think I would concur with the 'hokey pokey ' theory of life, or aspire to it at least. I really liked the views of Meg's kindergarten class, and the Lucas and Marita story was very moving. I think the thing that came through most for me was the warmth of the book..or maybe I was just feeling the heat between Meg and Ahmed LOL I wouldn't have minded details of just one more steamy encounter..oops I didn't say that;-0 I think it was the shorts he coached in prompted that thought they were very tantalising.
I would love to have this as a book group read as I think it would provoke a lot of interesting discussion, so many subjects are covered adroitly in this well written book..and relationships in many forms have a sharp but loving clear light thrown on them.
I enjoyed being drawn into the world of this book very much, and feel as if I too have been handed a magic stone by doing so..it was an uplifting read,
and has I think, helped me make some decisions for change:-)
My only very small tongue in cheek criticism would be, did Meg have to be a size 8?

I will have this in the post to Scotsbookie this week, but will try and take it into local library to see if they would consider it for Book Group set list, I don't know if they buy American books for them?

Thanks again for the ring Lyzzybee..if there is a copy of Veil of Roses still moving around I would love to read it.

Journal Entry 11 by calalilly from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, June 21, 2009

I've got Lzzybee's copy of Veil of Roses on my tbr pile, as soon as I've read it I'll post it off to you celticseahorse. I know I shouldn't have replied on here but thought it would save perhaps a few journals with people saying I've got the book or have I still got it. Just haven't had chance to read it yet and as I was the last one on the ray thought I could leave it to read other book ringsbut will get to it soon

Journal Entry 12 by celticseahorse at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Thursday, July 16, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (7/15/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Thanks Calalily panicked there wasn't sure I had replied to you:-)

Sent off in post yesterday but it might be a bit slow arriving because of postal strike:-)

Journal Entry 13 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, July 18, 2009

Arrived safely this morning, thank you celticseahorse :)

Journal Entry 14 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, August 02, 2009

A thoroughly enjoyable read, great well-rounded characters. I really enjoyed seeing in to Meg's mind, especialy her thoughts on Ahmed. More than just a love story, Laura Fitzgerald has managed to include so much more: single parenthood, inter-racial relationships, divorcing older parents, an interferring mother & exhusband. I'm very much looking forward to Laura's next book.

Thanks for the chance to read the book LyzzyBee. It wil be on it's way to Cross-patch asap.

Journal Entry 15 by scotsbookie at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, September 07, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (9/7/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Apologies for my tardiness. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 16 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 10, 2009

Thank you, a Lyzzy book, always something to look forward to. I;m so pleased the postal strike hasn't held this one up. I seem to have quite a few books that have gone on their holidays. Looks like London is bad!!

Journal Entry 17 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I've been finding it hard to get into books lately, but that was not the case with this Laura Fitzgerald. I remember enjoying Veil of Roses very much, but I may have gained more from the warmth of the world of Meg. It is a chicken soup of the soul read and inspires me to positive, happy thoughts.

I have now got the address for the next in line and will go to the post today.

Journal Entry 18 by wingCross-patchwing at to next participant, a ring/ray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (10/21/2009 UTC) at to next participant, a ring/ray -- Controlled Releases

Lovely, lovely heart-warming book. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 19 by akg from Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, October 23, 2009

It arrived in the post yesterday so managed to avoid the postal strike.

I finished my previous book a few days ago so I can start this one straight away. However I am currently using Paul McKenna's I can make you sleep book and one of the requirements is no reading in bed (!!) where I did most of my reading, therefore it may take me longer than usual to finish it.

Journal Entry 20 by LyzzyBee at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, August 15, 2010

FAO: AKG - have you been able to locate this book and send it on? Thanks!

Journal Entry 21 by akg at Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 23, 2010

The good news is I have this book and I am so so sorry that I've had this book for so long. I really don't know why it is still in my house as I read it soon after receiving it and I've got a PM from Kerriou with her address on 30th November 2009. I really was under the impression I had no books waiting to be posted.

I will check with Kerriou if her address is still valid and get it posted on as soon as possible. I will write a proper review (as much as I can this long after the event) when I come back to say it is posted.

Journal Entry 22 by LyzzyBee at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, October 14, 2010

FAO akg - did you manage to get an address and post this on? If not, could you please try the next person on the list? Thanks!

Journal Entry 23 by Inver at Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, November 05, 2010

This is now with me! Didn't think it was on it's way yet. I have two bookrings on the go at the moment so am really not sure if I will get to this much before Xmas Liz if that is OK. I noticed too that Kerriou was next, has she been missed out, or not want it. Do you need to change the order or delete. Who will I contact next!

Journal Entry 24 by akg at Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, November 05, 2010

Sorry guys, I forgot to write a journal after I posted this on Tuesday.

Kerriou originally sent me her address when I tried to post it in 2009, but when I got in touch to check if the details were still correct I didn't get a response so moved to the next person. It may be worth moving Kerriou later in the list as she may respond in the future.

I'm really sorry for the long time I've had this book, I really don't know what happened. I also see I never wrote a proper journal alert so I will add what I remember.

Although I was able to start the book straight away I didn't have a lot of enthusiasm for it (probably because I'd been reading a lot of fantasy at the time). However I'd recently returned to work after a year's maternity leave and I either caught a bug from the office or my daughter starting nursery and was stuck in bed and decided to read this book so I could post it on quickly (!!). Once I started it, I couldn't put it down and read it within the day. A very enjoyable read.

Journal Entry 25 by Inver at Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, December 23, 2010

Sorry for the delay Liz with this book, but am nearly finished the other bookring and this is next on the list. Will be into the new year before I get to it though if that is OK!

10/1/11....due to family stuff I have only just started this one, will get through it ASAP.
17/1/11....hope to be finished this reasonably soon.

Journal Entry 26 by Inver at Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, January 21, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed this read Liz thanks for sharing. I liked the mixture of characters and think my favourite was Henry...he seemed to talk sense a lot of the time...lol, so simple and straightforward. Also related the to the 'forearms' thing too!!!

Awaiting address from Kerriou Liz or do I go onto the next in line again!

****************************************
1/2/11.....No response from Kerriou, but I have address for Maria-Nunes so I will post this on to her this week.

Journal Entry 27 by Inver at Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, February 03, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (2/3/2011 UTC) at Aberdeen, Scotland United Kingdom

In the post to Portugal ...happy travels.

Journal Entry 28 by Maria-Nunes at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, February 07, 2011

it arrived today.
thanks!
I'll try to read it asap, though all of a sudden it seems that all the rings and rays I'm in are arriving at the same time :-P

Journal Entry 29 by Maria-Nunes at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Friday, March 04, 2011

thanks for sharing!
I had this book in my hands more time than I planned, but I already sent a PM to the next on the list, to keep the book going.
10/March/2011: it's already on its way to Italy :-)
Hope the next readers will enjoy this love story!

Journal Entry 30 by LindyLouMac at Viterbo, Lazio Italy on Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I have been waiting two years for this bookray to reach me which it did safely yesterday. I have a feeling it will have been worth the wait having a quick glance at the reviews.

Thanks LyzzyBee for setting this up and to Maria-Nunes for mailing the book on to me.

I hope to start this tomorrow.

Journal Entry 31 by LindyLouMac at Viterbo, Lazio Italy on Tuesday, April 12, 2011

One True Theory of Love disappointed me, after having been on a Bookcrossing Bookring list waiting to read for two years. I assumed it was something I must have wanted to read because I had enjoyed her previous novel Veil of Roses. To be honest I could not remember much about it, so I checked back to my review before writing the review for this one. It seems that did not meet my expectations either.

I do seem to be in the minority with my opinion on this one though, if you take a look at what the other Bookcrossers who read it before me had to say.

There is nothing to dislike or criticise about the writing or the characterisation, it was just I personally found the storyline a little too perfect and I am sorry to say I got bored. The protagonist Meg a single parent who was abandoned by her husband when she was pregnant with Henry her nine year old son is an intelligent and independent woman. She is a very complicated character, who seems to find it difficult to be completely truthful, in a relationship that seems to be so important to her, I found this disconcerting. The other thing that bothered me was just how easily Henry accepted his mothers relationship with Ahmed. Maybe I was just never going to become emotionally engaged with a novel whose opening line is ‘It’s easy to look at men and think they’re idiots’ as I do not happen to agree!

I would still recommend One True Theory of Love to those of you that enjoy this genre and her previous one Veil of Roses.

As for me I expect given the opportunity I will still read her recently published novel, Dreaming In English, published February 2011, a sequel to Veil of Roses as disappointment does not equal dislike.

Journal Entry 32 by LindyLouMac at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (4/11/2011 UTC) at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

En route to Dutchbooky in the Netherlands.

Happy reading

LindyLouMac

Journal Entry 33 by dutchbooky at Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, April 16, 2011

The book arrived in Amsterdam yesterday. I started reading right away and up to now, it has not disappointed me. To be continued....
Thanks LizzyBee for sharing, LindyLouMac for mailing it!

Journal Entry 34 by dutchbooky at Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, April 18, 2011

This was quite a quick read! I enjoyed Meg's story and most of the characters in her circle of family and friends. I do agree with LindyLouMac that the storyline was a little too perfect, but sometimes I wish life could be that way.
I have PM-ed LyzzyBee, as I cannot contact Mallary through PM. Will wait for her reply before sending the book on its journey.

Journal Entry 35 by dutchbooky at sent by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, May 05, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (5/5/2011 UTC) at sent by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

This book will start it's long trip down under. Hope it arrives safely and wish you an enjoyable read, Jean-Sol

Journal Entry 36 by wingJean-Solwing at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Friday, May 13, 2011

I can't believe how quickly this book made it from Europe to Australia. That's pretty good from experience. It also survived the downpour today - well we've had over a decade of drought so letterboxes are anything but waterproof. I'm looking forward to reading it but have 2-3 books ahead of this one. Still I'm very grateful that it made it all the way downunder so thanks Lyzzybee for organising this ring (no mean feat!) and thanks dutchbooky for the flying postman!

Journal Entry 37 by wingJean-Solwing at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Saturday, June 11, 2011

Sorry that it took me a while to get reading this book. I had a few 'heavy' books on my TBR and didn't get through them as quickly as I was hoping. Needless to say that One True Theory of Love was a real relief after this, although it didn't start so well for me as I found Meg's son rather brattish at first. I think that his character gets much more rounded as the novel goes on, and that's also true of all the other characters and the story, so in the end I enjoyed it and could not put it down till the end. I've got Veil of Roses on my wishlist and will definitely look for it.
I'll be contacting Lauraloo29 over the weekend and will get the book back on its way around the globe as soon as I hear from her.

Journal Entry 38 by wingJean-Solwing at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, June 15, 2011

On its way!

Journal Entry 39 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 16, 2011

Arrived safe and sound today. Thank yoU!\\u!

Journal Entry 40 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, September 06, 2011

When this book first arrived and I saw that I was the end of the ray, and I had a huge pile of bookrings, I PM'd LyzzyBee and advised I was moving the book to the bottom of the pile. I see now that another person has been added.

I am starting this book this week.

Journal Entry 41 by LyzzyBee at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Not sure how the last person disappeared and reappeared but just wanted to say I'm happy for Lauraloo29 to take as long as she needs with the book as she's been on many of my rings and rays and I trust her to pass it on!

Journal Entry 42 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 24, 2011

A fun read. Thank you for sharing!

valentina1209 has asked to be skipped, so it looks like I am the end. :)

Journal Entry 43 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Monday, January 02, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (1/5/2012 UTC) at Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Sending as a RABCK to abbyaguas. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 44 by abbyaguas at Quezon City, -- Wild Released somewhere in state -- Philippines on Friday, February 17, 2012

Oooh, this book is so cool! I haven't read it yet, but I am just excited to pass it on.

Thank you for this RABCK!

This book just arrived today :D

Journal Entry 45 by abbyaguas at Quezon City, -- Wild Released somewhere in state -- Philippines on Monday, March 26, 2012

This was a fun book to read. It was somehow hilarious and serious.
At least there was almost no boring part of the story.

I'm still thinking of where am I going to pass this book. I'll update when it's out of my hands.