corner corner The Reader

The Reader
by Bernhard Schlink | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Safrolistics of Newbiggin-By-The-Sea, Northumberland United Kingdom on Saturday, February 28, 2009

status (set by martaenmichiel): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Safrolistics from Newbiggin-By-The-Sea, Northumberland United Kingdom on Saturday, February 28, 2009

Amazon Editorial Review:
For 15-year-old Michael Berg, a chance meeting with an older woman leads to far more than he ever imagined. The woman in question is Hanna, and before long they embark on a passionate, clandestine love affair which leaves Michael both euphoric and confused. For Hanna is not all she seems. Years later, as a law student observing a trial in Germany, Michael is shocked to realize that the person in the dock is Hanna. The woman he had loved is a criminal. Much about her behaviour during the trial does not make sense. But then suddenly, and terribly, it does - Hanna is not only obliged to answer for a horrible crime, she is also desperately concealing an even deeper secret. 'A tender, horrifying novel that shows blazingly well how the Holocaust should be dealt with in fiction. A thriller, a love story and a deeply moving examination of a German conscience' INDEPENDENT SATURDAY MAGAZINE

Journal Entry 2 by Safrolistics from Newbiggin-By-The-Sea, Northumberland United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 11, 2009

This is now going out as a bookray..... so far;

chucklesthescot........ UK.......... prefer UK/Europe
kerbam1421............. US...........US
Agrace................. US...........US
shpriz1.................US.......... prefer US
mrsboknows..............US.......... US/Canada

Journal Entry 3 by Safrolistics at Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Friday, March 27, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (3/27/2009 UTC) at Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

Being posted out as part of a bookray.

Journal Entry 4 by Chucklesthescot from Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, April 09, 2009

Book arrived safely in Scotland today and I hope to get it read over the Easter weekend, ready to post next week maybe.

Journal Entry 5 by Chucklesthescot from Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, April 11, 2009

Ok I thought this book was over-rated over descriptive waffle! I was bored almost immediately and had to grit my teeth to get through to the end. I found I didn't like or care about the characters and didn't enjoy anything about the story. I won't be watching the film, that is for sure! Hope the next person on the list likes it better! I'll be posting it on after Easter. Waiting now for address from the next reader.

Journal Entry 6 by Chucklesthescot at on Monday, April 20, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (4/20/2009 UTC) at

This book is a ray and is moving on to the next person on the list. I hope you'll like it better than I did!

Journal Entry 7 by sharonrocks on Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Arrived safe and sound - thanks very much. I've had 3 bookrings arrive just recently, so this might take a little longer than usual to turn around, but I will get to it asap. Looking forward to it immensely.

Journal Entry 8 by sharonrocks on Saturday, May 02, 2009

An easy read but a little too 'light' for its subject matter? I thought the final section of the book was excellent though, and very moving. I will watch the film now as I'm intrigued to see how it translates and if Hanna becomes any more/less sympathetic on screen. I have pmed the next person on the list and will get this moving again soon. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 9 by sharonrocks at Ruddington, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 23, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (5/23/2009 UTC) at Ruddington, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom

Apologies for holding onto this way too long. It's finally on its way to the next reader.

Journal Entry 10 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, May 28, 2009

This was waiting for me today at home, with two other books. Great!
I am looking forward to reading this one; I haven't watched the film, but the premise seems intriguing.
Thank you, Sharonrocks, for sending it on... and thank you, Safrolitics, for sharing it!
Eva

Journal Entry 11 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Currently reading; I will contact Vilda for her address.

Journal Entry 12 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, September 03, 2009

I've really liked this book: a great translation, in my humble professional opinion.
An easy read, a page-turner... and yet, I had to go through some paragraphs twice, in order to get their true meaning.
A love story through the years, with the background of the German people's feelings during and after the war.
Thanks for sharing this book, Safrolistics; I haven't watched the film (I can understand how it will translate beautifully into film), but Hannah definitely has Kate Winslet's feautures in my mind.

One quotation:
"The geological layers of our lives rest so tightly one of top of the other that we always come up against earlier events in later ones, not as matter that has been fully formed and pushed aside, but absolutely present and alive. I understand this. Nevertheless, I sometimes finf it hard to bear. Maybe I did write our story to be free of it, even though I can never be." Wonderful, isn't it?

I have Vilda's address, and it will soon be on its way to her.

Journal Entry 13 by wingBookworm-ladywing at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Monday, September 07, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (9/7/2009 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Sent today to Vilda in Sweden, who is next in this bookray.
Enjoy!
Eva

Journal Entry 14 by wingVildawing from Stockholm, Södermanland Sweden on Thursday, September 10, 2009

The book arrived today! Thank you bookworm-lady for sending it to me!

Edit 23/9: I somehow pictured this novel differently before receiving it. Also I had too high expectations. It was ok but no pageturner and I don't think I will actively search for other books by this author. I can see it translate well into a movie though. Tomorrow it will travel on as I already got the address to Mallary.

Journal Entry 15 by wingVildawing at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, September 24, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (9/24/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Now it will be on its way to France.

Journal Entry 16 by Mallary from Ginestas, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Thanks for sending this to me Vilda!
It is next on my pile of TBRs. :)

Journal Entry 17 by Mallary from Ginestas, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I have to agree with chucklesthescot. Not a great book which I eventually gave up on at page 114. I just couldn't make myself read anymore and nothing was really happening. Nevertheless, I am grateful to be included in the bookring!

Pming martaenmichiel for their address.

Journal Entry 18 by Mallary at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (10/27/2009 UTC) at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sorry for the delay! The book is now on it's way.

Journal Entry 19 by martaenmichiel from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The book arrived safe and sane a few days ago (thank you Mallary!)
Started reading it today, and I can't put it down. Wiil be a quick read, I think.