corner corner Bartleby

Bartleby
by Herman Melville | Literature & Fiction
Registered by LeishaCamden of Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on 2/24/2009

status (set by mette72): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by LeishaCamden from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Tuesday, February 24, 2009

From the back cover:

'BARTLEBY and THE LIGHTNING-ROD MAN

The symbolic stories of human unconventionality

Herman Melville was born in New York City in August 1819. After working as a bank clerk and schoolteacher he eventually became a seaman, jumping ship in the Marquesas and travelling to Tahiti and Honolulu. Back in America, he wrote about his adventures and became the friend of Nathaniel Hawthorne. 'Bartleby' is published in Billy Budd, Sailor and Other Stories in the Penguin Classics series, as are many of his other books. 'The Lightning-Rod Man' appeared first in Putnam's Monthly Magazine in 1854.'

This is a tiny paperback in the Penguin 60s series, published in 1995.

I've never read anything by Melville in full ... just bits and pieces here and there. I will definitely read this though. :-)

I bought this book at a flea market at Grünerløkka elementary school in Oslo on Sunday, October 26th, 2008.

Journal Entry 2 by LeishaCamden from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Saturday, January 30, 2010

I've read this book now - some deep thoughts coming up ... :-)

Journal Entry 3 by LeishaCamden at OsloS-OBCZ in Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway on Saturday, January 30, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (1/30/2010 UTC) at OsloS-OBCZ in Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway

In the zone!!

Journal Entry 4 by Titanetsissi from Sunnyvale, California USA on Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Just found this today at La Baguette, Oslo S :)
I love the little turtle sticker!!:)

Journal Entry 5 by Titanetsissi from Sunnyvale, California USA on Saturday, February 20, 2010

Interesting and amusing. I like the tone and the humor of Melville's writing.

Journal Entry 6 by Titanetsissi at -- wild release somewhere in Oslo, Oslo fylke Norway on Saturday, February 20, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (2/20/2010 UTC) at -- wild release somewhere in Oslo, Oslo fylke Norway

released at La Baguete Oslo S

Journal Entry 7 by mette72 from -- wild release somewhere in Oslo, Oslo fylke Norway on Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I found this one at LaBaguette as I was dropping of a stack of books. It looks like a good read for the tube.