corner corner Bodies in a Bookshop

Bodies in a Bookshop
by R T Campbell | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 2/21/2009

status (set by Icila): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, February 21, 2009

I found this fair-condition trade paperback among the charity-sale books at a local Hannaford's, and thought it looked interesting: originally published in 1946, it's described on the back as "...a treat for all mystery lovers and those who love to rummage through musty old bookstores in search of the unexpected." With that, who cares about the plot? And how could I not like a book that opens:

And:
"The trouble with bookshops is that they are as bad as pubs. You start with one and then you drift to another, and before you know where you are you are on a gigantic book-binge."

Sound like anybody we know? {grin}

The book turned out to be very entertaining. It's narrated by Max Boyle, a somewhat Archie-Goodwin-like character (in the snarky-and-irreverent sense, not so much in the lady-killer sense) who works as a botanist and general assistant for a very eccentric Professor who fancies himself a sleuth. [Whether the professor really is the deductive genius he claims is a point of debate between himself and Chief Inspector Bishop, who claims that the professor's success is due to his claiming every possible solution until he eventually lands on the right one. This reader tends to agree as does Max, who mentions that he doesn't care to play Watson to the Professor's Sherlock: "I am not suitably astonished when he produces the solution like the rabbit from the conjurer's topper."]

The mystery does indeed begin in a bookshop, and much of the plot has to do with books of various kinds, from Max's attempts to hang on to the selection he'd made before discovering the crime to the illegal sale of some very naughty books indeed. There are subplots galore, and several potentially suspect characters, and a reasonably intricate mystery - but I enjoyed the book mainly for the back-chat by the increasingly snarky Max, whose attitude towards the professor ranges from the mild ("I bickered with him mildly about this. We always bicker over breakfast. It takes the sting out of the day.") to the vicious ("I spend the whole of any of his murder cases in a state of bottled wrath, and not too securely bottled at that."). If there are other books featuring these characters I'll definitely hunt them up.

[The copyright page notes that R. T. Campbell is a pseudonym of Ruthven Todd. I'd never heard of either that I can recall, but with a cool name like "Ruthven Todd", why would anybody bother with a pseudonym? Later: OK, I looked him up (see Wikipedia entry here - it's got an amusing anecdote about him) and it seems that he wrote his mysteries as Campbell, using his own name on his poetry, commentary, non-mystery fiction, and children's books. (Were mysteries really so outre?) Anyway, the Campbell books are: Unholy Dying, Take Thee a Sharp Knife, Adventure with a Goat, Bodies in a Bookshop, Death for Madame, The Death Cup, and Swing Low Sweet Death. I don't know if all of those feature Max and Prof. Stubb, but some of them definitely do. The only one recently in print is Unholy Dying, and the others seem to be pretty rare; long-distance inter-library loans - or extremely good luck at an estate sale or antiquarian bookstore - might be the only way to find the others. And I would so love to have Adventure with a Goat on my bookshelf {grin}!]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, July 18, 2009

I'm offering this for a book ray. [See the forum thread here.] The book is a slim trade-paperback weighing just under 8 ounces, something to keep in mind when estimating shipping costs.

Bookray instructions:

When you receive the book, please journal it, and PM the next person in line for their address so you'll have it ready when you've finished the book.

Note: even if you've sent books to that person before, please PM them before mailing this one, to confirm that the address is correct and that they're able to take on a bookray book at this time.
Try and read the book promptly - ideally, within one month of receiving it. (If you expect to take longer, you can request to be put at the end of the list. If you find you're swamped with other books when the person before you contacts you about the book, you can ask to be skipped, and then let me know whether you'd like to be moved down the list or dropped entirely. If you receive the book and find it's taking longer than you'd planned to get through it, I'd appreciate an update in its journal entries or on your profile, just to let me and the other participants know you haven't forgotten it.)

When you're ready to pass the book along, please add your comments about the book and indicate where you're sending it. [If you use the controlled-release-note option and specify your own country/state/city, we'll end up with a handsome map of the book's travels!] If you find that you're having problems contacting the next person in line, or don't think you can manage to mail the book as originally agreed, please let me know; I'll be glad to try to work something out.

Participants, in mailing order:

Hayes13 [Italy]
Tinina67 [Australia]
Dancesports [Australia]
lils74 [Nepal]

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, July 25, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (7/25/2009 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I sent the book on its way to BCer bearyfriend in Singapore today, to kick off the bookray. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 4 by bearyfriend from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Book arrived yesterday, thanks. Interesting newspaper.

Journal Entry 5 by bearyfriend from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Friday, August 07, 2009

I like the book which is nicely held together by sewing which is quite rare nowadays, and also because of what its back cover says about this edition's binding and pages' quality. Makes me feel like holding a rare and precious copy, the more so when it says the author's detective novels are almost impossible to find today. I like also the many phrases that I myself can relate to, like the one about visiting a bookstore with intention of getting only one title, but ending up running into other books and buying more than necessary. And amusing conversations from Max and his Professor. Easy and Delightful read too though I didn't really like the ending, not quite understand whether the murderer did really kill or not, but would love to read more if I could find, perhaps from curious little bookshops instead of big stores.

Thanks GoryDetails for sharing this rare find that comes wrapped in a newspaper with interesting articles, haha. Sending off to FrancesinSA, as she has sent me her address.

Journal Entry 6 by FrancesinSA on Thursday, September 17, 2009

Yay! the book arrived today. The South African post office workers have been on strike and I think this caused a delay. Thank you GoryDetails for sharing this book and to bearyfriend for posting it to me. I will start reading it today.

Journal Entry 7 by FrancesinSA on Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I enjoyed this book not only for the story and characters but also because of the period it was written in. There were a few words that I didn’t know the meaning of and had to look up in a dictionary. I could work out the meaning of the word ‘shew‘but looked it up in the dictionary anyway. This is described as ‘an archaic spelling of show’ – and this is the feeling I got when reading the book – a glimpse of another time and the words used and accepted moral behaviour. It made me wonder what readers sixty years from now will say about the words used in books published today and our morals.

There is a reference to six obscene drawings by Henry Fuseli. Max later describes a sculpture of Perseus rescuing Andromeda by saying ‘....to my simple mind it was far more obscene than the drawings....’ I Googled images of these and I don’t think that they would be described as obscene today.

I got the impression that this was not the first book in this series about Professor Stubbs, The Bishop and Max Boyle. It would be nice if we could get our hands on the others. It was also interesting to read The Catalogue of Selected Dover Books in all fields of interest at the back of the book.

This book is delightful with thick pages and totally unlike the mass market paperbacks produced today.

Journal Entry 8 by FrancesinSA at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa on Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (9/22/2009 UTC) at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa

I am posting the book to hyper7 in Secunda, South Africa today.

Journal Entry 9 by hyper7 from Secunda, Mpumalanga South Africa on Monday, September 28, 2009

Arrived here today safe and sound. I have 1.5 books ahead of this one, but it won't take long.
Thanks GoryDetails! (and Francsinsa)

Journal Entry 10 by hyper7 at sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, October 05, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (10/6/2009 UTC) at sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent to Sweden. I do not normally read "whodunnits" but this was fun. Lots of bushy eyebrows.
Thanks for shewing me this!

Journal Entry 11 by wingbabelfiskwing from Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Monday, October 12, 2009

Aaah, a book! Lovely! I cannot promise I'll finish it within a month but I'll certainly do my best.

Journal Entry 12 by wingbabelfiskwing from Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I did finish it within a month: it only took me 8 days! I really enjoyed it - it was nice and mysterious. It was a bit difficult to understand what the Professor said but I think I managed. Thanks for sharing!
I will be sending it off to Bookworm-lady in a couple of days.

Journal Entry 13 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Tuesday, November 03, 2009

And here it is!
Thanks for sending it through, and the lovely postcard, Babelfisk!
And thanks for sharing, GoryDetails; I loved "Nero's Bookcase".
Looking forward to reading it, seems interesting!
Eva

Journal Entry 14 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, January 06, 2011

I am currently reading it, and it will soon be on its way to Chich, in France.
Thanks for sharing, and sorry for the delay!
Eva

Journal Entry 15 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, January 17, 2011

I really enjoyed it; a plain old-fashioned "whodunit" mystery... and I mean this is as a compliment!
Interesting characters, and the world of antique books. What else could we bookcrossers ask for?
And let me highlight the good quality paper, something not easily seen nowadays. Just imagine GoryDetails found this at a charity sale! Well spotted!
Thanks for making some of my evenings more interesting, and sorry that I kept it for so long. I already have Chich-s address, and this lovely book will soon continue its way to France.
Eva

Journal Entry 16 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, January 24, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (1/24/2011 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent on to Chich, in France, with a "little extra something".
Sorry for the long wait; I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did...
Eva

Journal Entry 17 by chich at Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Thursday, January 27, 2011

Book received today, thanks for passing it on Bookworm-lady!

Thanks for hosting this ray GoryDetails, I can't wait to read this:)

Journal Entry 18 by chich at Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Sunday, February 06, 2011

This was such a great read GoryDetails, thanks so much for sharing this rare find with us! :-) Of course, a book with such opening lines ("I don't know what came over me. It wasn't as if there were not enough books in the house to begin with.") *and* back cover notes about its binding & quality printing could only be a treat!

I'd never heard of R.T. Campbell or Ruthven Todd before and I too find it surprising that he would use a pseudonym only for his mysteries. Did he consider writing mysteries was beneath him? Was he afraid his other readers would get confused by his writing mysteries instead of children's books or poetry? This sounds like a mystery within the mystery!

I was able to get my hands on a very affordable copy of Unholy Dying at BetterWorldBooks and will probably offer it as a bookray as soon as I finish reading it:)

Thanks again for sharing this very entertaining read with us GoryDetails!

I already have MaryZee's address and the book is all packed and ready to go, I will post it tomorrow morning.

Journal Entry 19 by chich at Sent to the Next BCer, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, February 07, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (2/7/2011 UTC) at Sent to the Next BCer, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent to MaryZee today, enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 20 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Saturday, February 19, 2011

Book just arrived today, fresh off the mail truck. Will start this (my first bookring this year) as my next book, as soon as I finish my current read: The Olive Farm. Should get started in a few days, and at less than 200 pp. this one won't take long either. Will pm the next person for their addy.

Journal Entry 21 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Friday, February 25, 2011

I enjoyed this little whodunit. It certainly has a different style from our more modern mysteries. I also enjoyed the wordplay and verbal sparring that went on amongst the characters. Although I suspected the correct culprit, I didn't ferret out all the details, whys and wherefores of the solution. That's up to someone more experienced in solving mysteries than me.

Thanks to GoryDetails and the previous readers for sharing. I have Amcamp1644's address and will be sending this on to her in a few days.

Journal Entry 22 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (3/1/2011 UTC) at Taneytown, Maryland USA

Mailed out today to Amcamp1644, 1st class so it shouldn't take too long.

Journal Entry 23 by amcamp1644 at Wheaton, Maryland USA on Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Yay! I've been looking forward to this one.

Journal Entry 24 by amcamp1644 at Bethesda, Maryland USA on Tuesday, June 07, 2011

I just couldn't get into it, so it's on to the next person.

Journal Entry 25 by amcamp1644 at Bethesda, Maryland USA on Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (6/14/2011 UTC) at Bethesda, Maryland USA

And it's off!

Journal Entry 26 by babsdotter at Sparta, Missouri USA on Friday, June 17, 2011

Received today in the mail. Thanks amcamp1644 for passing it on and thanks GoryDetails for setting up this ring. I'll put this at the top of my to be read pile.

Journal Entry 27 by babsdotter at Sparta, Missouri USA on Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Nice cozy mystery. The language and the British tone remind me somewhat of the Nero Wolfe series. It's part of a bookring, so I'll pm shovelmonkey1 for its next location.

Journal Entry 28 by babsdotter at Sparta, Missouri USA on Saturday, June 25, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (6/23/2011 UTC) at Sparta, Missouri USA

On its way to the next stop on the bookring...the UK

Journal Entry 29 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Friday, July 01, 2011

Arrived today - thanks to everyone involved in this bookray who kept it moving in my direction. Will read it over the weekend and send it on its way.

Journal Entry 30 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I'm not a big reader of whodunnits or murder mystery stories and I signed up for this one based on the title alone (and the fact that Dover thrift do well presented, if sometimes slightly random books). Easy to read but utterly utterly predictable. More of a murder-obvious than a murder-mystery but worth the read for all the bushy eyebrow raising, harumphing and the quite frankly some of the oddest similes that i've ever encountered.

Thanks to gorydetails for giving me a chance to read this and to everyone else who has kept this ray going. This book will be travelling again in three days once i've got to the post office.

Journal Entry 31 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (7/16/2011 UTC) at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom

Travelling on to the next reader in the bookray. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 32 by AgnesXNitt at Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 28, 2011

Retrieved from the local sorting office yesterday - apparently the parcel was too big to go through my alledgedly parsimonious letterbox at my flat. Humph. Yes, I'll believe you, Mr Postman...
Started reading last night, and will hopefully not tarry too long with this, my first ring book for some months. Thanks to ShovelMonkey1 for forwarding on - and it's travelling companion which looks fascinating and just my taste in reading! Kudos, as usual, to GoryDetails for sending another fascinating book my way :)

Journal Entry 33 by AgnesXNitt at Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Friday, August 05, 2011

Although a little pedestrian compared to my more recent crime reading (Stuart MacBride's 'Blind Eye' and the real life profiler and catcher of bad guys/girls from the FBI's book 'Obsession' - read it and never look at anyone the same way again...), this book is a perfect period piece of immediate post WW2 fiction with a dotty botanist professor, his stuffed shirt of an assistant who discovers the bodies and a long suffering and patient detective who reminded my very strongly of AC's Inspector Japp, who heads up the investigation of a dead bookshop owner and the mysteriously obtuse runner who he deals with. Why were both men kiboshed and then gassed in a locked room in an unlocked bookshop? An interesting retro read, many thanks to Gory Details for ringing this book, I will PM the next reader inline and get this one en-croute once again :)

Journal Entry 34 by AgnesXNitt at Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 08, 2011

Got Kayellbee's addy and this book will be travelling on sometime this week with two RABCK books as companion.
Will be posted from Brampton Post Office, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire.
Enjoy :)

Journal Entry 35 by Kayellbee at Chorley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Oops! I jumped straight in to reading this and forgot to journal it - sorry! Nearly at the end, an enjoyable and different read to my usual. I love the 'old-fashionedness' of it and the witty lines 'bickering over breakfast takes the sting out of the day' being a particular favourite! Will pm next in line and post on asap.
Thanks for the book, and the RABCK's. :-)

Journal Entry 36 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, January 21, 2012

The book has arrived safely. Next to be read.

Journal Entry 37 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 01, 2012

A good old-fashioned murder mystery. I loved the characters and their interaction with each other. A nice gentle read.

Journal Entry 38 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (1/31/2012 UTC) at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom

Posted on! The book is on its way to Italy.

Journal Entry 39 by Hayes13 at Roma, Lazio Italy on Monday, February 06, 2012

Arrived this morning, thank you!

Wow, this book has travelled!
It's now having a chilly snowy holiday here in Rome (!) before going off to sunny Australia.

Here's the view from my balcony, Feb 4, 2012.

Journal Entry 40 by Hayes13 at on Friday, February 10, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (2/14/2012 UTC) at

And we are settling in for more snow this weekend. I will finish reading it and send it off to Tinina67 who is no longer in Australia, but in France, and is also battling the cold weather.

ETA: as usual I forgot to post my review... here it is now:

Full of wonderful banter (although the transcribed 'local' accent was a little heavy for me).
A very enjoyable read. Here's my favorite quote:
p 148:

...a fortuitous action, had been the cause of our running around looking into innumerable mares' nests and smelling after uncounted red-herrings. In fact, he had, it seemed to me, been dancing up a lot of garden-paths and barking up many wrong trees. If I kept on at this rate I felt I would mix enough metaphors to make a verbal haggis.

Journal Entry 41 by Tinina67 at Seissan, Midi-Pyrénées France on Sunday, February 26, 2012

This book arrived some days ago, but our internet didn't work, so I'm a bit late with journaling. Sorry! Will read asap.

Journal Entry 42 by Tinina67 at Seissan, Midi-Pyrénées France on Saturday, March 10, 2012

This was really nice to read. I liked the narrative with the slight irony and the metaphors, enjoyable, interesting and I loved the characters. A surprising great read!

I will send it on asap.

This book is now on its way to Australia, travel safe!

Journal Entry 43 by Dancesports at Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Book has arrived safely in Australia, I'm halfway through another bookring and then I'll read this one. Thanks

Journal Entry 44 by Dancesports at a Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (10/27/2012 UTC) at a Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

On the way to the next reader

Journal Entry 45 by lils74 at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Thursday, November 08, 2012

This arrived safe and sound this week, thank you, Dancesports! I'd pretty well forgotten I'd signed up for this when you pmed me! But I'm glad to have it now, as it looks like just my sort of book. Books about books are really the best! Will write more when I've read it.

Journal Entry 46 by lils74 at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Sunday, December 02, 2012

I really, really enjoyed this book. Written in Britain in the 40s, it’s wonderfully periodic in a dated, non politically correct way. It’s also funny as hell, and full of unusual metaphors and similes. The wit and banter between the characters is a thing of beauty, and really the highlight of the book. I found myself smiling constantly as I was reading it. If I find time I'll look through it and add a few favourite lines...
Would really love to read more in the series, though they seem to be difficult to find. Thanks for sharing, Gorydetails (pming now about where to send the book next since I seem to be the last in line.)

Journal Entry 47 by lils74 at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Monday, April 29, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (4/29/2013 UTC) at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal

It took me a while, but I finally posted this off today--I'm sorry it took me so long.

Happy travels, little book!

Sent out for the Reverse Wishlist Tag Game, organized by DubaiReader recently.

Journal Entry 48 by book-a-neer at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Thursday, July 25, 2013

I have finished reading this book but couldn't find it in my shelf. I had forgotten to register it. Sorry.

Thanks for sending this lils74. I quite enjoyed this book.

Journal Entry 49 by book-a-neer at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Thursday, September 12, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (9/12/2013 UTC) at Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Released for the One Book a Month RABCK to raluk68. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 50 by book-a-neer at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Thursday, September 12, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (9/12/2013 UTC) at Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Released for the One Book a Month RABCK to raluk68. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 51 by raluk68 at București, Wallachia Romania on Friday, September 20, 2013

The precious book arrived safely!
This morning I started to read it in the metro, on my way to the office. My cup of tea ;)

After I'm finish with it it will go to Icila & maybe more!

Journal Entry 52 by raluk68 at București, Wallachia Romania on Monday, September 30, 2013

I finished the book in the weekend. It was like watching a black&white movie :)
It took me a while to get into the English and/or Scottish jokes! :P Eventually I was into it. I would have bet my money on the murderer to be who it turned out to be, just by intuition - not big reasons :) This murderer had nothing to loose or maybe more to winn out of it, maybe that's why!...
Thank you for sharing this precious book with me!

Journal Entry 53 by raluk68 at București, Wallachia Romania on Friday, October 04, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (10/4/2013 UTC) at București, Wallachia Romania

Off it goes to icila!
Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 54 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, October 07, 2013

It came as a surprise book. I'm very happy ! Looking forward to reading it.
(I happened to visit Suceava and recognized the ceramic on your card.) :)
Thank you so much!

Journal Entry 55 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Friday, October 11, 2013

I couldn't wait to read this well-travelled pearl. A big thank you to all of you too.