corner corner Watchmen

Watchmen
by Alan Moore, Dave Gibbons | Graphic Novels
Registered by katrinat of Leigh-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, February 21, 2009

status (set by ozymandias99): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by katrinat from Leigh-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, February 21, 2009

I was looking for this in the 1001 library and realised there wasn't a copy. This is going to be part of the 1001 library and is going on a library members only bookring - if you want to join in send me a pm
lucy-lemon (pref UK)
jsmeltser (pref US) its here
perryfran (US, INTL)
cat207 (Aus, pref Aus)
davemurray101 (Aus, INTL)
The final member of this bookring should return it to the 1001 library so others can share it

Journal Entry 2 by 1001-library from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Thanks so much for your donation katrinat!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the 1001-library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 3 by lucy-lemon from Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, June 06, 2009

Arrived a few days ago - thank you! Really looking forward to reading it, as my boyfriend really likes it!

Journal Entry 4 by lucy-lemon from Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Just a quick update to apologise for having held onto this book for so long. It's next on the TBR pile, and I hope to send it to Danielle in the next week or so (fingers crossed.)

Thanks again for sharing :-)

Journal Entry 5 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, October 31, 2009

Arrived today Lucy thank you. I have 2 other rays before this one but will get to it as soon as possible xx

Journal Entry 6 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Thursday, November 05, 2009

I was a little unsure about this book when it arrived as I've never read a comic book before and thought I wouldn't warm to it. Well I was wrong! I absolutely loved it. Fantasy/Sci-fi is so my genre and the unique story line kept me gripped right to the end and I was still surprised on the final page.

The pirate story running through the story was gripping too and honestly horrific when thought about, and I loved the character reports, newspaper articles and excerpts from other fictional work that ran through the comic. I thought this gave more depth to the story and helped piece together a few loose ends.

My favourite character without a doubt was Rorschach. I can't quite explain why but there was something about him that made me read his parts really quickly and wish there were more of them. You might see what I mean when you read it for yourself. (It also happened that Hallowe'en fell when I was reading this book and I saw someone dressed up in a Rorschach costume! He looked amazing and it made my night.)

Thanks so much for sharing this book Katrina, it was a great read and I loved the story (even the very strange ending). Will send this off to rachiesparrow ASAP xx

Journal Entry 7 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Sunday, December 06, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (12/7/2009 UTC) at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

After 3 PM's and 1 ISO I have still heard nothing from rachiesparrow. Not wanting to hold this book up any further I am posting it along to Caroley xx

Journal Entry 8 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Received today thanks. Can't wait to get started on this, it looks amazing. I just have to finish off my current book and then this one is next to be read.

Journal Entry 9 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A very big thank you to Katrinat for starting this ring. I have enjoyed reading this so much!

The graphics are amazing. All the extras in there, such as the excerpts from the book and police files etc., all add to the atmosphere and storyline. The pirate story too was superb, especially with the difference in the style of the graphics.

And the ending! Wow. Especially those full page illustrations. I must have stared at them for ages, torn between needing to get on with the story and wanting to absorb the detail.

Favourite character? Has to be Laurie.

I think this is the first bookring that I'm sad to be passing on. I fear I may have to aquire my own copy.

I'm just waiting for confirmation that Soffitta1 is ready to receive it and I'll get it posted on.

Journal Entry 10 by Caroley at Birmingham, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, January 04, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (1/4/2010 UTC) at Birmingham, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Christmas post and Christmas holiday are over now so Watchmen is on its travels once more.
Posted airmail to Soffitta1 today.

Journal Entry 11 by soffitta1 from Dovercourt, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Thanks for sharing, will get to it next (have 10 more pages of Black Dogs to go).

I finished this afternoon, and will add my comments later.

I have the next address and will post this on as soon as I can.

Sent on 09/02.

Journal Entry 12 by wingDeepswampwing from Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Friday, February 12, 2010

Arrived safe!

Journal Entry 13 by wingDeepswampwing from Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Sunday, March 28, 2010

This is not my kind of books, but as it is a 1001 book I have read it....
Thanks for letting it come my way!
As son I have the adress it will travel.

Journal Entry 14 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, April 09, 2010

Received today, with a bunch of great postage stamps from the very kind Deepswamp. :)

I'll probably read this in between chapters of my current non-fiction read, to give my brain a little more *story* to work on.

Thanks for sharing, and I'll try to pass this on as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 15 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, April 16, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (4/13/2010 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

I enjoyed reading this - thanks for sharing.

It went very quickly and is now on its way to jsmeltser. Counting this for DragonGoddess's 2010 Sci Fi/Fantasy release challenge

Journal Entry 16 by jsmeltser from Fort Madison, Iowa USA on Friday, April 16, 2010

Received in today''s mail. I've been waiting on this one for awhile, I'm very anxious to read it!

Journal Entry 17 by jsmeltser from Fort Madison, Iowa USA on Tuesday, May 11, 2010

It's been a long time since I've read a graphic novel, but I'm certainly a fan again! Since I haven't been living under a rock for the past couple of years, I have seen the movie and while it was faithful to the novel, I enjoyed reading this as much or possibly more.

As of last Friday, this is on its way to Perryfran. Sorry for holding it for a bit, but I seemed to get a few rings all at once.

Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 18 by wingperryfranwing from North Ogden, Utah USA on Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Received today - thanks for including me in this ring. Looking forward to reading and hope to get to it soon.

Journal Entry 19 by wingperryfranwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Wow! What an amazing piece of work. It's been a long time since I've read a comic book (graphic novel). I practically grew up on Spiderman, Fantastic Four, Superman, etc., in the 60s, but Watchmen was definitely a cut above the usual comic fare! This was a very complex and involved story for adults. I loved how Moore wove together the past masked adventurers from the 30s with the storyline from the present day (the 80s). The text presented between each chapter also really added to the overall effect of the story. I especially liked Hollis Mason's "Under the Hood" which told how he came to be "Nite Owl" and the formation of the "Minutemen". Beautifully done! Also enjoyed the pirate story that was mixed in with the main story line. And the main story was simply awe-inspiring - especially the ending. Gibbons illustrations were also wonderful and mesmerizing. I'll be on the lookout for some of Moore's other works like 'V for Vendetta" and "Promethea." I also now need to see the movie version of Watchmen - I have put off seeing it until I had a chance to read the book.

Thanks again for including me in this ring. I'll be sending it on to the next reader today.

Journal Entry 20 by wingperryfranwing at Morisset, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (5/26/2010 UTC) at Morisset, New South Wales Australia

Sent to Cat207 yesterday. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 21 by cat207 at Lake Macquarie, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, June 03, 2010

Arrived in today's mail. Thank you perryfran, and katrinat for sharing.

Journal Entry 22 by cat207 at Lake Macquarie, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, June 06, 2010

This is my first graphic novel, and I really enjoyed it. The detail in the illustrations is amazing. Thank you so much katrinat, for including me in this one.
It will go to Dave in tomorrow's mail.

Journal Entry 23 by davemurray101 at Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, June 08, 2010

recieved in the post today. Thanks again to Cat207 for posting. and to KatrinaT for organising. Quite a while since I have even touched a comic book (sorry people I still don't really know the difference between 'comic book' and 'graphic novel'.

Journal Entry 24 by davemurray101 at Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Just catching up on a few journal entries and I realised I hadn't done this one yet. Quite a complex and multi-layered story one does not expect from a comic. Instead of being good v. evil - the Watchmen are highly complicated characters with mixes of both. Now returning to the 1001 library. Thanks to katrinat for sharing with everyone.

Journal Entry 25 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, July 06, 2010

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing davemurray101:)

If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 26 by davemurray101 at Valentine, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Posted to Ozymandias of Pakistan

Journal Entry 27 by davemurray101 at to a fellow bookcrosser, a loan -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (9/29/2010 UTC) at to a fellow bookcrosser, a loan -- Controlled Releases

Posted to Ozymandias of Pakistan

Journal Entry 28 by ozymandias99 at Lahore, Punjab Pakistan on Sunday, October 17, 2010

got it in mail :p