corner corner Mother of God

Mother of God
by David Ambrose | Literature & Fiction
Registered by seldombites of Cambridge Park, New South Wales Australia on 3/16/2010

status (set by seldombites): available

Journal Entry 1 by seldombites from Cambridge Park, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, March 16, 2010

From Back

"Who are you?"
"I have no name."
"What do you want?"
"I want you."

A beautiful scientist at Oxford University - and a desperate killer in California, one stalking the other. On the internet.

Tessa Lambert is young, beautiful - and a genius. She has just created the first viable artificial intelligence program. But her discovery is so controversial that she must keep it a secret even from her dearest friends and colleagues.

As her work grows daily more vital, Tessa's world begins to fall apart, and when her program takes on its own completely malevolent existence, Tessa must make one last and absolutely terrifying connection...

This is a paperback edition published in 1996. This edition contains 420 pages.

Journal Entry 2 by seldombites from Cambridge Park, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, March 21, 2010

This book is a scary glimpse of what could happen if AI ever becoming mainstream. The ability to learn implies the ability to make choices; and the ability to make choices implies the ability to make the wrong choices. I believe AI will be like humanity - most people are inherently good and make inherently good choices, but there are a few bad apples. Unfortunately, our ability to deal with a renegade AI could be limited at best, as demonstrated by this book. Having said that, the book itself is, in my opinion, not well written, though there were a couple of twists I didn't see coming. My overall view is that this book is worth reading, but not good enough for a re-reading.