corner corner Julie of the Wolves

Julie of the Wolves
by Jean Craighead George | Children's Books
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 2/24/2009

status (set by hyphen8): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, February 24, 2009

1973 Newbery Medal Winner, and a banned/challenged book.

Here's another copy on my shelf.

Alaska is the 49th state, and its nickname is "Land of the Midnight Sun"; the long days are mentioned in the story. I've never been to Alaska, but a bunch of my relatives have. I hear the fishing's great.

From bookrags.com:

Miyax, a thirteen-year old girl whose mother is dead and whose father disappeared while hunting, has run away. She intends to use the survival skills her father taught her to walk from Point Barrow to Point Hope. There, she plans to get a job on one of the huge ships as a laundress or cook and work her way to San Francisco, where she has a pen pal, Amy, who always ends her letters, "When are you coming to San Francisco?" Unfortunately, the tundra is different from her home country, and Miyax is lost.

Remembering what Miyax's father Kapugen, the great hunter, told her, she uses the body language she has learned from watching a wolf pack to persuade them to take her in and feed her. Miyax calls the great black lead wolf Amaroq, the Eskimo.....

Alaska state flag taken from the Flags of the World (FOTW) website and converted to jpg format. All credits for flag graphics are as shown at FOTW.

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, trades in Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (2/24/2009 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, trades in Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Location should say Central Union Church. Added to the bookshelf in the youth room.

I'm so glad you've found this book!

If you're new to Bookcrossing, I hope you will take some time to explore this wonderful free and anonymous community and learn what it has to offer.

Freed any good books lately? It's good for the circulation. :)