corner corner A Boy's Guide to Track and Field

by Sabrina Broadbent | Literature & Fiction
Registered by BodhiSurfer on 2/8/2009

status (set by AnonymousFinder): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by BodhiSurfer on Sunday, February 08, 2009

'Lem Gulliver (25,maths teacher) can't seem to leave home. His mother (46, courtroom artist) and step-father (49, AA patrol man) make no secret of the fact that he's become a cuckoo in the nest, but since his girlfriend left him for a dog trainer, Lem has returned to his natural state of emotional drift. He cant understand how the people around him manage the plot of a grown up life.'

enjoyed it overall. About half way through I thought I'd worked out how it was going to end. It didnt end the way I thought -which was a bit of a pity, as i thought my ending would have been better than the authors:-)

Journal Entry 2 by BodhiSurfer at Liskeard Railway Station in Liskeard, Cornwall United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (3/4/2009 UTC) at Liskeard Railway Station in Liskeard, Cornwall United Kingdom

left in the waiting area

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I found this book on a book shelf of the Grand Hotel in Brno, the Czech Republic. We continued from there to Prague and reading this book was my relaxation in that beautiful city. The book made me laugh out loud on a number of occasions. I really enjoyed it! I am a high school teacher so I could relate to the descriptions of the staffroom politics and recognised some of my students in the kids in this novel. At the moment my husband, also a teacher, is reading it and then it will be released somewhere in Sydney, Australia.

CAUGHT IN GRAND HOTEL BRNO CZECH REPUBLIC

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Saturday, March 27, 2010

Got the book from my wife and,although I'm not an avid book devourer, enjoyed the author's style and craft with words. Released the book on 27th March 2010 in Baulkham Hills, a suburb of Sydney.

CAUGHT IN SYDNEY NSW AUSTRALIA

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Sunday, March 28, 2010

Got more than was expected at the local shopping centre. The family and I had just completed the saturday weekly shop when I saw this lonely book sitting on the bench. When I picked it up it had a not on the front "If you have just found me I have been released again, take me with you then read me and pass me on". I placed the book into our trolley. My 4 year old daughter removed the book and placed it back on the seat. "this is not your book daddy you cant take something that is not yours". I explained the concept that this book belongs to no one and its like a library book we are going to borrow it for a while then leave it somewhere for someonoe else to borrow.

I will enjoy reading the book on a weeks holiday in Fiji.

CAUGHT IN BAULKHAM HILLS NSW AUSTRALIA

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Denarau, Nadi Fiji on Monday, January 31, 2011

I've been feeling guilty as I have held onto this book since holidaying in Fiji. Since returning to work I have been flat out (there is my excuse for my tardiness), until now. I just suffered an eye injury and have been resting in bed and reading this book with my good eye.

I'm not much of a reviewer and am usually not at all critical of a book which has engaged me enough to finish it. I found the writing style erratic and the changes in time and setting confusing. I did enjoy Lem's recollections as a child, but found some of his adult thoughts a little too poetic to be true to that of a man (it was clear that the author was a woman).

The conclusion to the story was also a disappointment. But if you are next to get the book, I expect you to read it and pass it on. :)

I'm dropping it off today in a local hospital.