corner corner Walpurgis 3

Walpurgis 3
by Mike Resnick | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by wingmelydiawing of Centreville, Virginia USA on 5/17/2009

status (set by AnonymousFinder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Sunday, May 17, 2009

Picked up at the The Book Thing in Baltimore. I'm a big fan of Mike Resnick but I'm not sure if I've read this one yet.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmelydiawing at -- Geocaches, Virginia USA on Friday, March 16, 2012

A lot of Resnick books are about a super criminal being hunted by a super bounty hunter/assassin in the far future, and this book is no exception. Luckily, this is the sort of story he tells very well. The trouble here is that the criminal (Conrad Bland) fancies himself Satan incarnate, intent on killing everything and everyone in his path. Which would be fine - his quotes at the beginning of each chapter are often scandalously amusing - but he's decided to base himself on the planet Walpurgis, a haven for a large number of Satanic religions. This is where things get a little silly. Told from the alternating viewpoints of the assassin (Jericho) as he attempts to find Bland, and the chief of police (John Sable) as he tracks down Jericho for killing random civilians in his jurisdiction. There's a little bit of "who's more evil, the man who kills compulsively or the one who does it emotionlessly as a means to an end," but this is overshadowed by the focus on the fairly ridiculous religious practices of the assorted sects of Satan-worshippers. I guess if you're easily shocked and titillated, this might be a delightfully scandalous read, but I could have skipped this one and been none the worse for wear.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmelydiawing at Day of the Book (street festival) on Howard Avenue in Kensington, Maryland USA on Saturday, April 21, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (4/22/2012 UTC) at Day of the Book (street festival) on Howard Avenue in Kensington, Maryland USA

Releasing this at the International Day of the Book festival in Kensington, Maryland, where BCinDC will be giving away free books.

Journal Entry 4 by wingmelydiawing at -- Geocaches, Virginia USA on Sunday, April 22, 2012

This was left over at the end of a very rainy Day of the Book festival in Kensington, Maryland. I hope to continue its journey soon.

Journal Entry 5 by wingmelydiawing at Gaithersburg City Hall Concert Pavilion and Grounds in Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on Sunday, May 13, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (5/19/2012 UTC) at Gaithersburg City Hall Concert Pavilion and Grounds in Gaithersburg, Maryland USA

Giving away at the Gaithersburg Book Festival

Journal Entry 6 by wingmelydiawing at -- Geocaches, Virginia USA on Saturday, May 26, 2012

This was left over at the end of the Gaithersburg Book Festival. I hope to continue its journey soon.

Journal Entry 7 by wingmelydiawing at -- Geocaches, Virginia USA on Saturday, June 16, 2012

Taking this to tomorrow's BCinDC meetup at the new OBCZ at Chick-Fil-A in Leesburg, VA. If there are no takers and it doesn't end up on the OBCZ shelf, I'll try to release it at Artomatic in Crystal City.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Sunday, June 17, 2012

i picked it up while walking with my family along the Potomac. I am traveling abroad and would leave it in some other country