corner corner The Queen of the Big Time: a Novel

The Queen of the Big Time: a Novel
by Adriana Trigiani | Women's Fiction
Registered by princess-peapod of San Luis Obispo, California USA on 2/4/2009

status (set by logoed): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by princess-peapod from San Luis Obispo, California USA on Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to visit us at Bookcrossing.
If this is your first visit to our site...welcome! I'm sure you'll find it fun!
All over the world people are following the journey of their books through BookCrossing, by making an entry you will be helping keep this book's unique history up-to-date.

From Publishers Weekly
Set in early 20th-century smalltown America, Trigiani's fifth novel (after the Big Stone Gap trilogy and Lucia, Lucia) tells a heartfelt but clumsy story of strong women enduring the rigors of farm life and the trials of romantic and familial relations. At its worst, the novel is a morass of incomplete story lines, underdeveloped characters and inconsistent tenses. Still, readers who've fallen for Trigiani's hallmark personages—Italian immigrants living the American dream in rural Pennsylvania—in previous books will delight in meeting these new ones. Nella Castelluca has brains and ambition; she hopes to someday become a teacher. Alas, when her father is injured at work, she must quit school and stay home to help on the family farm. Her first dream slips away, but working farm life turns out to be not so bad, and Nella eventually falls for the dreamy poet Renato Lanzara. But when he skips town, dream two is crushed, and Nella faces a tough reality: marry another man, and move on.

"Second hand books are wild books, homeless books; they have come together in vast flocks of variegated feather, and have a charm which the domesticated volumes of the library lack." --Virginia Woolf

Journal Entry 2 by princess-peapod at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Thursday, September 30, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (9/30/2010 UTC) at San Luis Obispo, California USA

If you found this book while in the area of San Luis Obispo, CA. feel free to come by and check out Joe Mommas which houses our bookshelf! We also hold our local meetups on the first Tuesday of each month at 5pm there, please come join the fun! The books on the shelf are free to for you to read, enjoy and pass along to another!

being sent along to a PaperBackSwap.com member in WI to read and enjoy

"A book is a mysterious object, I said, and once it floats out into the world, anything can happen. All kinds of mischief can be caused, and there's not a damned thing you can do about it. For better or worse, it's completely out of your control."
Paul Auster

Journal Entry 3 by logoed at Medford, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Received this book through Paperbackswap.com