corner corner Bad Science

Bad Science
by Ben Goldacre | Science
Registered by davemurray101 of Granville, New South Wales Australia on 2/2/2009

status (set by Esme-Weatherwax): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by davemurray101 from Granville, New South Wales Australia on Monday, February 02, 2009

A great primer on the basics and the controversial in modern science and medicine. Not just the evolution controversy but the ones affecting real lives today. Examples include the "Brain Gym" and the "fish oil trial" adopted (and quickly abandoned) by the British education system. The MMR vaccine scare and the media's prime responsibility in a scare that has cost the lives of dozens of children. Importantly it gives equal time to the bad actions of pharmaceutical companies as well as the prevalent pharmanoia in the media. A great little primer on the importance of the scientific method and the best medical science has to offer today.

Journal Entry 2 by davemurray101 from Granville, New South Wales Australia on Monday, February 02, 2009

Now an international bookray.

Participants so far.

sunfi (usa)
labmomnm (usa)
rebeccaljames (usa)
allthesepieces (usa)
hyphen8 (usa)
bookguide (neth)
Vekiki (uk)

Journal Entry 3 by davemurray101 at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, February 09, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (2/9/2009 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

sent to sunfi in the post

Journal Entry 4 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, February 28, 2009

Just received this one. I have 8 other rings/rays ahead of this one but will have it on its way within the next 8 weeks. Thanks davemurray101 for including me and mailing his to me, I'm excited to start it.

Journal Entry 5 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, April 18, 2009

Thanks davemurray101 for including me in this one. Even though a lot of the things written about were British it was still an interesting book. I had to skip a couple of the more detailed pages on statistics, its usually late when I read and my mind wasn't able to concentrate on the concepts. I have to wonder how different things would be in this country if pharmaceutical companies couldn't market directly to the public, would we be better or worse off? I'll get this in the mail to labmomnm in the next few days.

Journal Entry 6 by sunfi at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA on Saturday, April 25, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (4/25/2009 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA

Sent off today, it should arrive in the next couple of weeks.

Journal Entry 7 by winglabmomnmwing from Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Friday, May 01, 2009

Arrived in the mail; I'm going to need a chainsaw to get it out of the mailing envelope! Sunfi - I thought *I* was the Queen of Shipping Tape, but I bow to your superior tape-iness :-)

6 May '09 - I just wanted to say that I started reading this yesterday & have already ordered several copies - 1 to keep & a few to share - I'm LOVING this book! Powells.com has an international source & can get copies of this, in case anyone else in the USA (who avoids Amazon if possible) is interested in getting a copy. I called my local bookshop & they couldn't get one. Sigh. Anyway, I wasn't familiar with Goldacre, but now I'll be checking his website - I have to go & see what he has to say about the Merck/Elsevier fake journal "scandal"...

Journal Entry 8 by winglabmomnmwing at Mailed to next BC member of the Bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, May 16, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (5/16/2009 UTC) at Mailed to next BC member of the Bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to rebeccaljames

19 June 2009 - haven't heard from rebeccaljames; PM'd her a few days ago to ask for an update on the book.

Journal Entry 9 by rebeccaljames from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I received this a while ago. I will mail this out soon. Thank you for sharing.

Journal Entry 10 by rebeccaljames from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Thursday, June 25, 2009

This book is being mailed out tomorrow.

Journal Entry 11 by snarkhunting on Monday, June 29, 2009

This just arrived today. I already adore the little mouse on the cover. I'll probably start reading this tonight. Thanks, Becca and Dave!

Journal Entry 12 by snarkhunting on Sunday, July 26, 2009

Almost finished!

I'm sending a PM to the next participant tonight. I should have the book on its way within the next few days.

EDIT: I finished this a few days ago, and I have to admit that I was expecting something a little more, uh, scientific! I just wasn't impressed with this one, but thank you for the chance to read it, anyway.

Journal Entry 13 by snarkhunting at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (8/4/2009 UTC) at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

I'll be dropping this in the mail today. Happy Bookcrossing, everyone!

Journal Entry 14 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Received today. This is one of two rings to arrive today, and I had another arrive on Friday, but this book will go on the top of the TBR stack.

Thanks for including me!

Journal Entry 15 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, September 11, 2009

Checking in: I'm a little more than halfway through this - call it 5/8 maybe? I'm finding it quite interesting, but it requires a bit more concentration than my usual reads - this guy wants me to actually think?!

Unfortunately my life has way too much work in it between now and September 30 - which is seriously cutting into my reading time (left work at 8:30 tonight). There just aren't enough hours in the day, so I'm getting through this book a bit more slowly than I'd hoped.

I'll keep you posted on my progress, and if you decide it's taking me too long, give me a nudge and I'll send the book to the next person...

Journal Entry 16 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, September 25, 2009

I'd never heard of "Brain Gym" before...what a concept!

This book is one of those that should be read by a lot more people; thanks for sending it traveling so I could be one of them.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to get a copy to give away - the key is whether or not that person will really read it.

Meanwhile, I've gotten bookguide's address and will be sending Bad Science on its way soon so that it can infect someone else with science. :p

Journal Entry 17 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, September 25, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (9/25/2009 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Mailing to bookguide today.

Journal Entry 18 by bookguide from Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Points for packaging and covering the envelope with beautiful stamps, 10 out of 10, Hyphen8! It makes it all the more worthwhile when it takes a bit of a struggle to get in and find out what the book is inside;-) Thank you for the lovely postcard of a verdant waterfall in Hawaii - what a place to live. I'm looking forward to reading it, but (surprise, surprise!), several other ring books have elbowed their way in first, so I can't promise it will be within a month, especially if I have to think to understand it. I will read it in the coming two months, though. If you'd like to know where it is in my reading planning, look on my shelf.

Journal Entry 19 by bookguide from Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, January 12, 2010

This book was excellent, and changed my views about, for example, vitamin pills. I feel guilty that I buy them and then forget to take them, or just don't buy them at all, and 'Bad Science' has convinced me that I don't need to anyway, as the proof just isn't statistically sound. Relief all round! I've always been very interested in health and diet, and was brought up watching programmes such as 'Tomorrow's World', and used to subscribe to 'New Scientist', so I feel that I have a better than average understanding of scientific thinking, although without any scientific training beyong O-level (aged 16). I agree entirely with the following: "This process of professionalising the obvious fosters a sense of mystery around science, and health advice, which is unnecessary and destructive. More than anything, more than the unnecessary ownership of the obvious, it is disempowering. All too often this spurious privatisation of common sense is happening in areas where we could be taking control, doing it ourselves, feeling our own potency and our ability to make sensible decisions; instead we are fostering our dependence on expensive outside sysems and people." (p.19) So true, and it does often shock me how people are at the mercy of dumbed-down headlines in the press, and how often the medical profession or researchers apparently announce that a certain food causes cancer or protects against it. When one realises that such research may be based on a tiny sample, it makes a mockery of such claims. I was particularly shocked to discover that the much-vaunted fish-oil supplement tests in Durham schools, which has caused so many of my contemporaries to spend small fortunes in capsules for their children, turns out to have very little basis in science. All Dr. Robert Winston's fault that it became so well-known, as he championed it in one of his TV programmes!

The book also made me chuckle to myself, for example when it points out that "surveys... say that doctors are the most trusted of all public figures, and journalists are the least trusted, but that doesn't seem to be the lesson from the media's MMR hoax"! (p.76) I enjoyed both the content and the style of the book, and I shall be looking out for Ben Goldacre's columns in the future, and visiting the website www.badscience.net.

Journal Entry 20 by bookguide at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, January 28, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (1/28/2010 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

'Bad Science' is winging its way to fellow Bookcrossing Monopoly participant Vekiki. Hope you enjoy it, and thank you to DaveMurray101 for making it a ring.

This book has been released as part of the following BookCrossing challenges:
- The Ultimate Challenge - read and release books, with extra points for a monthly theme
- Reduce Mount TBR (To Be Read) - read and release books on the TBR list since before Jan. 2010. My reading goal is 75 books.
- Pages Read Challenge - read a self-set target number of pages in 2010. My goal is 24,000.
- Set It Yourself Challenge

Journal Entry 21 by wingVekikiwing from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Why are bookrays like buses?
Because you get nothing for months then two come along at once!

But I shouldnt be too long with this, I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Thankyou bookguide for posting it to me (and great stamps from you too... I save them as one of my BC buddies gives them to her grandson) - and yes, I would love to catch some of WistfulDragon's book, I even went hunting for one, but without success. I'm even more eager now though as my team has slipped into second place this week :( so hopefully I will be a better hunter in the future!

Journal Entry 22 by wingVekikiwing from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, February 22, 2010

An interesting one.

Most of the concepts were things I have come across before or already deduced for myself. However, the illustratory examples were well choosen and interesting, and a fair few of them I hadnt encountered before. Goldacre has a very 'readable' style - he explains things in a way that makes them understandable, without being patronising, and he is very funny, I was laughing aloud on the train reading this.

I thoroughly enjoyed this and would recommend it to anyone with a layman's interest in science.

Journal Entry 23 by wingVekikiwing at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Saturday, May 01, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (5/1/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

I'm gonna give this to my Sister-in-law (to be)- I know she likes science-y stuff and I think she'll be interested to read this.

Journal Entry 24 by wingVekikiwing at -- somewhere in Greater London --, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, October 02, 2011

My Sister in law had read this and left it at my parents house for me, but without telling me! Oh well, I found it while i was there... and I'm sending it off as a RABCK

Journal Entry 25 by wingVekikiwing at -- somewhere in Greater London --, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, October 02, 2011

Released 5 yrs ago (11/1/2011 UTC) at -- somewhere in Greater London --, Greater London United Kingdom

In the post and away across the irish sea...

Journal Entry 26 by Esme-Weatherwax at Limerick, Co. Limerick Ireland on Monday, October 17, 2011

Thanks Vekiki for this wishlist book and for the socks.