corner corner Shen of the Sea (Paul's Books #6194)

Shen of the Sea (Paul's Books #6194)
by Arthur Bowie Chrisman | Children's Books
Registered by PaulsBooks of Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, January 31, 2009

status (set by PaulsBooks): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by PaulsBooks from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, January 31, 2009

Paul's Books #6194

Journal Entry 2 by tostle from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, September 26, 2009

I finally read this book in preparation for spacedogs Newberry Round 6 Bookring! This was an interesting book. It won the Newberry medal in 1926!
This book is reserved and will be traveling soon!

Journal Entry 3 by PaulsBooks at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, September 26, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (9/26/2009 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

This book is traveling to hyphen8 as part of spacedog's Newberry Bookring Round 6!
Happy travels!

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, October 02, 2009

Received today complete with a Paul's Books bookplate - what a wonderful ongoing tribute.

Flipped through the book and I love the Chinese papercut-style illustrations.

Journal Entry 5 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Interesting reading although I have my doubts about the authenticity of some of these tales. Silly me, I've seen this title on book lists over the years, and all this time I thought Shen was a person. :p

I actually had another copy of this book for quite a while, but I never got around to reading it...I ended up reading this bookring copy instead!

I have elissamay's address so I'll be sending this out soon along with its companion book.

Journal Entry 6 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, October 18, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (10/19/2009 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Off to the next person in the Newbery book ring!

Journal Entry 7 by elissamay from Brooklyn, New York USA on Thursday, October 22, 2009

Part of spacedog's Newbery book ring. Thanks!

Journal Entry 8 by elissamay at Brooklyn, NY, New York USA on Sunday, January 10, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (1/6/2010 UTC) at Brooklyn, NY, New York USA

Honestly, I never would have picked this up on my own, so this Newbery book ring pick was a great kick in the pants. On its way to knitwit.

Journal Entry 9 by knitwit from Yardley, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, January 11, 2010

arrived safely today. I shall read it and pass it along as quickly as I can. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 10 by knitwit from Yardley, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, April 01, 2010

Okay, I've decided I prefer it when single works win the Newbery rather than collections of stories. I find that the stories tend to be uneven - some good some not so good - some I like some leave me shaking my head. This was an interesting group though and I'm glad I get to cross one more medalist off my list.

Off to spacedog very soon.

Journal Entry 11 by spacedog at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, June 13, 2010

got a couple of days ago. thanks.

Journal Entry 12 by spacedog at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, September 08, 2010

sorry this has taken so long! i too thought shen was a person's name. i hadn't read anything about chinese mythology, and it's really unclear how much of this (if any) is based on it, but the book was surprisingly enjoyable, more so than a similar book from this round, the one of south american folk tales (tales of silver lands). i enjoyed the humorous and wry tone of the narrator, the silhouette illustrations, and the "just-so" stories, although some of the yarn-type stories didn't have much of a point and got a bit labored. a good 'un, though, and i enjoyed it much more than i thought i would.

Journal Entry 13 by tostle at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, November 03, 2010

This book returned home! Thanks to all the readers for reading this book!

Journal Entry 14 by PaulsBooks at Paul's Birthday Party at 1751 S 1500 E in Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, January 29, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (2/4/2011 UTC) at Paul's Birthday Party at 1751 S 1500 E in Salt Lake City, Utah USA

This book will be released at Paul’s Pass-Along Books Birthday Party 2011. Happy Travels!

Journal Entry 15 by PaulsBooks at Paul's Birthday Party at 1751 S 1500 E in Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (2/4/2012 UTC) at Paul's Birthday Party at 1751 S 1500 E in Salt Lake City, Utah USA

This book will be released at Paul’s Birthday Party 2012 at 1751 S 1500 E.

Happy Birthday, dear Paul!

Journal Entry 16 by PaulsBooks at Paul's Birthday Party at 1751 S 1500 E in Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, February 02, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (2/4/2013 UTC) at Paul's Birthday Party at 1751 S 1500 E in Salt Lake City, Utah USA

This book will be released at Paul’s Birthday Party 2013
February 3, 2013 at 6:30 pm
1751 S 1500 E.
Salt Lake City, UT

Happy Birthday, dear Paul!