corner corner Lost in a Good Book

Lost in a Good Book
by Jasper Fforde | Literature & Fiction
Registered by TheLostBook of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, January 29, 2009

status (set by madpocky): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sequel to The Eyre Affair and the second in the Thursday Next series.

Thursday has become a controversial celebrity after her work on Jane Eyre. Her work life gets complicated when a lost Shakespeare play turns up in Reading - and even more complicated when she is apprenticed to Miss Havisham in Jurisfiction. Her personal life gets complicated when a drowning thirty-eight years ago erases her husband. Her family life gets complicated when erratic, but wise, Granny Next shows up.

The plot? That's also pretty complicated... in a good way.

It also seems that Hades is out to get her - but she knows she killed Acheron. So, who has the power and the motivation to get revenge?

We're starting a bookray for this, as part of The Lost Book project. If you haven't read The Eyre Affair you might want to join that bookray first.

The Lost Book is an animated web series which you can help write. It follows the adventures of investigative journalist, and BookCrosser, Aileen Adler and her dog Watson as they try to solve the crime of a stolen book. It's part of The Lost World Read 2009 reading campaign.

(Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World gets a mention as a book that Jurisfiction agent Harris Tweed tries to use as a way into detective fiction, via Sherlock Holmes. Apparently, "The Last booksplorer who went into The Lost World was shot by Lord Roxton"!)

As well as inviting you to help write the web series, we have a creative writing competition to create the stolen book. Jasper Fforde is our special guest writer. He has set the scene with two intriguing newspaper articles about the book - the journal of a 2004 expedition to Arthur Conan Doyle's Lost World. We're inviting 100-word entries each week and will gradually reconstruct the missing book from these microstories.

Bookray
darkhorse4460, UK (Int)
katrinat, UK (Europe)
katacs, Hungary (EU)
KiwiinEngland, UK/Ireland (Europe/Asia/Australisia)
Hayes13, Italy (Int)
4thEstate, USA (USA preferred, Int if needed)
Bug2004, USA (USA) - asked to be skipped
leoluvr, USA (USA)
UnwrittenLibra, USA (Int assumed)
NMReader, USA (USA)
sunfi, USA (USA/Canada preferred, Int if needed)
Rrrcaron, USA (USA)
Bookray complete!

If you liked this, we also have a bookray for the third book in the series, The Well of Lost Plots - PM to join.

Journal Entry 2 by TheLostBook at By Post, a postal release -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (5/19/2009 UTC) at By Post, a postal release -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to darkhorse4460 in Oxford to start the bookray. Happy reading, everyone!

Journal Entry 3 by darkhorse4460 from East Hagbourne, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 22, 2009

Received today from TheLostBook. I'll be getting into this after my current read.

Thank you for sharing.

Journal Entry 4 by darkhorse4460 from East Hagbourne, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 15, 2009

I knew I'd find this entertaining. I very much enjoyed The Eyre Affair and this follows on with the further adventures of Thursday Next, Literary Detective, who inhabits a crazy alternative universe in which, shock horror, literature is a major preoccupation of society. There's much too much going on to summarize, the plot is all over the place, the literary allusions are liberally dished out and the sheer bizarre inventiveness of Thursday's world doesn't give you much time to pause. There's a lot more book jumping in this one, whether its into Dickens or Poe or a washing instructions label and characters such as Miss Havisham and the Cheshire Cat (Now Unitary Authority of Warrington Cat) are given an extended lease of often hilarious life.

This is fairly lightweight stuff, despite involving quite a few grisly deaths and an imminent apocalypse. Humour rules, but occasionally something makes you sit up and think. How would we treat cloned versions of extinct species? Would we treat another human species (Neanderthals) as an underclass of low paid skivvies?

Anyway it probably won't be long before I get into 'The Well of Lost Plots' as quite a lot is left unresolved.

I shall be contacting the next person in the bookray very shortly. This book is already looking a bit battered. I hope it survives its long journey.

Journal Entry 5 by darkhorse4460 at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (6/17/2009 UTC) at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way to Katrinat. Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 6 by katrinat from Leigh-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, June 18, 2009

Arrived today. Look forward to reading this

Journal Entry 7 by katrinat from Leigh-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, July 31, 2009

Just a quick note to say I'm reading this at the mo and it shouldn't take long till I pass it on to the next reader - sorry for taking so long!
26.08.09: Update Katacs is moving, not just house but country this week, I'm holding the book for the week till she has moved rather than sending to her present address and chancing missing her in the process.

Journal Entry 8 by katacs on Thursday, September 24, 2009

Arrived today safe and sound. Can't wait to read it.

18/10: I enjoyed this book very much, it is exactly as interesting, original and entertaining as the first one. I'm looking forward to read the third book.

Journal Entry 9 by katacs at a bookray, to the next reader -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (10/21/2009 UTC) at a bookray, to the next reader -- Controlled Releases

On its way to Ireland.

Journal Entry 10 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, October 22, 2009

Safely arrived in Ireland from Northern Ireland, nipped across the border before the Royal Mail strike hit the north.

Thanks for sending it on katacs and thanks to TheLostBook for starting the ray.

Journal Entry 11 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, November 09, 2009

This was another great read, and it was fun to spot the literary characters wander about the story line (like the little prince). I'm sure I missed lots of the references to classical works, but that didn't detract from the excitment of reading this book to me. It was groovy to see a reference to The Lost World by Conan Doyle, which is part of TheLostBook project.

I liked the quasi science that was put in, and getting my mind around the time travel.

Looking forward to getting the third book in the series and am hoping it doesn't take as long to appear as this one.

Journal Entry 12 by wingKiwiinEnglandwing at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Friday, November 13, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (11/14/2009 UTC) at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom

This book is off to the next person on the ray. I hope they enjoy it as much as I did.

Journal Entry 13 by wingHayes13wing from Roma, Lazio Italy on Friday, November 20, 2009

Snatched out the hands of the mailman not two minutes ago...

Journal Entry 14 by wingHayes13wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, New Jersey USA on Thursday, December 03, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (12/9/2009 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, New Jersey USA

Finishing up now, but won't be able to mail until after the long weekend. Just in time for the Christmas rush!!

Off to the post office in a little while. Better than the first. The reading tips for non brits helped a lot.

EDIT to add: Life got in the way... finally got this into the mail today, Dec 15. Sorry for the delay.
I hope it gets there before Christmas!

Happy Holidays everyone!

Journal Entry 15 by 4thEstate from Montclair, New Jersey USA on Saturday, December 19, 2009

The book safely crossed the Atlantic and made its way to my door this morning. Thanks, Hayes13!

Journal Entry 16 by 4thEstate from Montclair, New Jersey USA on Sunday, January 03, 2010

This was one loopy book. I love Jasper Fforde's work - all the fantastic settings delivered with a very dry wit. Thursday's a cool character...and Miss Havisham really steals the show.

Book's ready to head on; I just need the contact info for the next person in line.

Journal Entry 17 by 4thEstate at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, New Jersey USA on Friday, January 15, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (1/15/2010 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, New Jersey USA

Got it off in the mail during my lunch break. Since the next person asked to be skipped, it's now on its way out to leoluvr in Arizona.

Journal Entry 18 by leoluvr from Tucson, Arizona USA on Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I received this book on 1/20/10. I'm still waiting for "The Eyre Affair" to get to me, so I'll have to put off reading for a couple of days, at least. Thank you 4thEstate and TheLostBook for helping me get this-- it's been on my list for a while.

Journal Entry 19 by leoluvr at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (2/16/2010 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

I loved this book! Can't wait to get the next in the series.

Journal Entry 20 by UnwrittenLibra from Madison, Wisconsin USA on Monday, March 08, 2010

This book was waiting for me when I got back home to Baltimore, Maryland, USA from Israel today. So excited to get started - top of my TBR pile! Thanks again leoluvr and TheLostBook for more Thursday Next adventures!

Journal Entry 21 by UnwrittenLibra from Madison, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, April 11, 2010

Another fun Thursday Next adventure. There are A LOT of new characters and names in this one, so be prepared, and the plot gets very convoluted, twisty, and turny. The ending is on the sad side, but I won't spoil any more...

Off to NMReader in Virginia as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 22 by UnwrittenLibra from Madison, Wisconsin USA on Monday, April 19, 2010

Sent to NMReader in Virginia via Baltimore-Roland Park, Maryland. Go book go!

Journal Entry 23 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, April 26, 2010

Arrived while I was on travel last week.

Journal Entry 24 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Thursday, May 20, 2010

I thought a status update might be in order.

I haven't started the book yet but I am hoping to start it on or before Monday. Once I start I don't foresee it taking long to read

June 2: I planned to take this on my trip for Memorial Day but I left on the bedside table. I will try and read this and get it moving quickly

June 16: I am havin a hard time getting into this book. I accidently left this at my sister's Monday night. I will get it from her over the weekend.

Journal Entry 25 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Thursday, June 24, 2010

It took awhile to get into it but what a great read.

I believe this is my favorite quote from the book

"And then, in a revelatory moment, the clouds slid back from my mind and a crystal-clear understanding of the very nature of books shone upon me. They weren't just collections of words arranged neatly on a page to give the impression of reality - each of these volumes WAS reality."

Journal Entry 26 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Thursday, June 24, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (6/24/2010 UTC) at Herndon, Virginia USA

This will be on its way to sunfi when I drop at PO tomorrow, Thursday, after work

I mailed this on Thursday. Delivery Confirmation Number: 0309 3220 0001 8479 0682

Journal Entry 27 by sunfi at Dayton, Ohio USA on Saturday, July 03, 2010

This arrived sometime over the last couple of weeks while I was traveling for work. I have a number of other rings/rays ahead of this one but I keep my profile updated, so you can always see how close this is to the top. Thanks for including me and mailing this to me, I appreciate it.

Update: 20 Aug 10 - I've tried to get into this one but I just can't so its time to pass it on. I've contacted the next in line for their address and I'll mail it as soon as I receive it, I'll make release notes at that time. Thanks again for including me.

Journal Entry 28 by sunfi at Dayton, Ohio USA on Thursday, August 26, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (8/26/2010 UTC) at Dayton, Ohio USA

This is finally on its way to the next reader, it should arrive in the next couple weeks or so. Thanks for including me in this spiral.

Journal Entry 29 by Rrrcaron at Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Received this book in the mail on Thursday. Haven't had the chance to journal until now. I have started it!

Journal Entry 30 by Rrrcaron at Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Friday, September 24, 2010

I'm really enjoying this series. I'm also looking forward to Thursday's next adventure. Will she get her husband back? Can't wait to find out! Sending on to next reader....

Journal Entry 31 by Rrrcaron at Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Monday, March 14, 2011

Sending this book off to a fellow bookcrosser in Finland....

Journal Entry 32 by Ametisti at Nurmijärvi, Uusimaa Finland on Friday, March 18, 2011

The book arrived today! Thank you for sending it to me ;)

Journal Entry 33 by Ametisti at Nurmijärvi, Uusimaa Finland on Monday, August 01, 2011

Absolutely loved this book! How beautifully the time-travel is described! How wickedly delicious the book-jumping sounds! I'm currently looking for a new job and would love to work as a librarian with The Cat ;)

Can hardly wait to get my hands on the next book. I want Thursday to get her husband back and to get her baby and to kick the bad corporation in the butt.

I'm looking for new readers for this book and the whole series, actually. Should y'all know someone interested, please tell them to PM me. Thanks and have a great August!

EDIT August 13, 2011: Bookray continues to the following destinations.

1. madpocky, The Philippines
2. bookguide, The Netherlands

Journal Entry 34 by Ametisti at Postal release, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, August 07, 2011

Released 2 yrs ago (8/8/2011 UTC) at Postal release, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Sending this book to the Philippines. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 35 by madpocky at Manila, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Philippines on Friday, August 19, 2011

Got this in the mail yesterday! There are just a few other books that I need to read and release first and then I'll read these afterwards. Thanks very much for sharing! ^-^