corner corner The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard Book
by Neil Gaiman | Children's Books
Registered by winghakkalinawing of Budapest, Pest Hungary on 1/29/2009

status (set by hakkalina): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by winghakkalinawing from Budapest, Pest Hungary on Thursday, January 29, 2009

It is a paperback edition with 289 pages.
From its cover: Nobody Owens, known to his friends as Bod, is a normal boy. He would be completely normal if he didn't live in a graveyard, being raised and educated by ghosts...

My opinion:
I have reacently read the Stardust, so I can compare 2 Gaiman books. Both of them is a tale, and also there are missing details on characters' development, no, no, actually, not missing, because thery are, but they are simple ones, only a word, one sentence. But it should be a novel, unbroken, interwaving thoughts, describing people, places, happenings. I think the writer could polish his style in writing, how to connect thoughts in sentences. Despite of it, The Graveyard book is a special one, but not a customary book considering its story. Thus for me on the basis of their theme/topic, the Stardust was forgettable, while The Graveyard book was remarkable. Firstly its cover charmed me immediately (Chris Riddell illustrated) and I wanted it read. I know not a very good thing to judge a book about its cover, but sometime I do. The story captivated me, the living and the death, the life within the fences, in the graveyard. I couldn't put it down. I enjoyed it so much.

~~ I offer it for a Bookring ~~
It is a Second Copy in order to be able to start a Second Ring for this lovely book.
~~ Note This Information ~~

I ask you, as I also do towards other people's rings and rays, please take care of my book and the others who would like to read this too. Actually I have spent more money on it in order to share with you, thus I ask you, please pay attention to the followings:

After getting the book, respect the following readers and me to inform us about the situation of our book. In this case here are some guidelines:
- make journal about getting, .
- read it within 4 weeks to keep the ring move along,
- update your journal to tell us your progress,
- in advance try to ask the next reader's address to be able to mail the book after finishing,
- make a journal in case of a delay - more than 4 weeks -, to inform the others and me about the situation
- finally after the finishing share your thoughts with us.

Have a nice read!

12. ladyofunicorns (USA)- takes on int'l ship
13. dakini6 (USA) - takes on int'l ship

Asked to be skipped
MrBaggins, Nomijo, Secretariat, JenKazoo

Thanks everybody to participate in my ring.
Please Note, the shipping order may change anytime because of the shipping preferencies. I am very grateful to those who take on international shipping! :-)

Journal Entry 2 by winghakkalinawing at Budapest, Pest Hungary on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (2/3/2009 UTC) at Budapest, Pest Hungary

The ring starts. Have a nice read to you!

Journal Entry 3 by klaradyn from Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Friday, February 13, 2009

Arrived today. Thanks for sending, hakkalina, I look forward to reading this one! Will send on as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 4 by klaradyn from Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Thursday, March 12, 2009

Wow! I enjoyed this book very much, one of the best by Gaiman that I've read. (Smoke and Mirrors is still my favourite though.) I see that a movie is going to be made of it. Would have liked to read more about the Honour Guard and their activities - there is potential here for a spin-off, I'd say :)

NomiJo already has a copy of this book, so I'll be sending it on to bindibooks a bit later today. Thanks for sharing, hakkalina!

Journal Entry 5 by klaradyn at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Thursday, March 12, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (3/12/2009 UTC) at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa

On the way to bindibooks. Edited to add: Book is travelling surface mail, so will take a few months to arrive. Sorry about that!

My book # 19 for guinaveve's Keep Them Moving challenge.

Journal Entry 6 by bindibooks from State College, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, April 11, 2009

Received this book this week! Thanks! I'll journal after reading.

Journal Entry 7 by bindibooks at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (7/28/2009 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent this on today! I'm so sorry for the huge delay. Life has been crazy and I hope whomever read nexts will really enjoy this!

Journal Entry 8 by alltoohuman from Kansas City, Missouri USA on Saturday, August 01, 2009

Just got it today; can't wait to read it!

Journal Entry 9 by alltoohuman from Kansas City, Missouri USA on Thursday, August 13, 2009

This is the Neil Gaiman I have come to expect--dry, witty, and definitely dark. I love the personalities of the graveyard folk, and it ended on a positive but definitely open note. I love how you could see Bod growing up and, even surrounded mostly by dead people, learn so much about life with earnestness and a bit of naivete.

I'm rambling. Good stuff, as expected.

JenKazoo asked to be skipped, so I'm sending this on to Hyphen8.

Journal Entry 10 by alltoohuman at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, August 13, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (8/13/2009 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Off to to training for work today, and hope to mail it after.

Journal Entry 11 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, August 15, 2009

Wow, that arrived fast! I already know that I love the illustrations.

This is the very next book after my current read. Thanks for sharing! :)

Edit: decided my journal entries needed some graveyard photos....

Journal Entry 12 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, August 28, 2009

2009 Newbery Medal winner, yay!

I really enjoyed Bod's story - thanks so much for sharing!

The US edition has a different illustrator, and I want a copy of the Chris Riddell version, so I might try Powell's...

Mom isn't a Bookcrosser, but she read and liked this too. :)

Here's another copy on my BookCrossing shelf.

I have Gzusgirl's address and will be mailing out the Bod and his friends soon.

Edit: both photos from Mission Cemetery behind Kawaiaha'o Church.

Journal Entry 13 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (8/31/2009 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Bod is off on a new journey - to visit Gzusgirl.

Journal Entry 14 by Gzusgirl from Overland Park, Kansas USA on Thursday, September 10, 2009

Received this today! I can't wait to read it! :D Will pm the person after me immediately. ^_^

Edit: Added a graveyard picture so I could keep to the theme! ;) This is from a graveyard in New Orleans, taken the summer before Katrina hit.

Journal Entry 15 by winghakkalinawing from Budapest, Pest Hungary on Thursday, October 01, 2009

The life. It has an own story. Things are happening, sometimes we are forced to learn its lessons in order to make us wiser.

The book has gone in wild.

The funny thing is previously I declared that I would not do any wild releases due to the lack of English books in Hungary. So the life has arranged "my" First Wild Release. I am so suprised how curious I am about where this book will pop up. Meanwhile I really hope its new owner takes care of it.

As I am writing these lines, I realized something. This situation is analogous with as how a mother let her child go. I am separating from my parents, the bonds between us are changing. I am the book. Who wants to go freely, without external controlling, expectations, also want my family trust me, let me fly.

This accidentally (Are there accidentals at all?) wild released book symbolical to my present state. Thanks Gzusgirl.

And thanks again your purchase. The Ring continues.
The link to the Replaced copy (just click on it..)

**** Wild Released *****
This copy is travelling somewhere in USA.
Take care of yourself little book.
I am here and would like to hear about you!
Have a nice, joyful, exciting travelling.

Journal Entry 16 by winghakkalinawing at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Springfield, Missouri USA on Saturday, January 02, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (9/14/2009 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Springfield, Missouri USA

This book was accidentally released somewhere in Springfield, in a school food court.
It was left on a table for some minutes, when Gzusgirl went back for it, it had vanished, somebody had taken away it.