corner corner Disgrace

by J.M. Coetzee | Literature & Fiction
Registered by lidlekiwi on 1/26/2009

status (set by J4shaw): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by lidlekiwi on Monday, January 26, 2009

I brought this book because I had to read it for my book club

Journal Entry 2 by lidlekiwi at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, January 29, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (1/29/2009 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

Opps, I never made an entry on what I thought about this book!
This was a great book for a book discussion with its themes.

I didn't really understand any of the characters choices......esp the daughters.....

Posted to Danielle at Hammersmith, London

Journal Entry 3 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, January 30, 2009

Arrived today, thank you so much Angela. It does feel at times that my shelf is mostly yours, lol. I have finished reading a few books on your wishlist so they'll be on the way soon.

Journal Entry 4 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 04, 2009

A great book that poses lots of interesting questions; I thoroughly enjoyed reading this.

Journal Entry 5 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, February 06, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (2/6/2009 UTC) at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

Posted as a surprise to J4shaw in Australia to answer a plea for new books to read. Hope you enjoy the book Josie xx

Journal Entry 6 by J4shaw from Boise, Idaho USA on Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Arrived from the UK to me this morning from Danielle in response to my desperate plea for books to read whilst I'm in the outback of Australia. A true example of RABCK!

Amazon Says
Disgrace is the story of a South African professor of English who loses everything: his reputation, his job, his peace of mind, his good looks, his dreams of artistic success, and finally even his ability to protect his cherished daughter.

The novel tells the story of David Lurie, twice-divorced and dissatisfied with his job as an English professor, teaching one specialized class in Romantic literature at a technical university in Cape Town in post-apartheid South Africa.
His "disgrace" comes when he seduces one of his students and he does nothing to protect himself from its consequences. Lurie was working on Lord Byron at the time of his disgrace, and the irony is that he comes to grief from an escapade that Byron would have thought distinctly timid. He is dismissed from his teaching position, after which he takes refuge on his daughter's farm in the Eastern Cape. For a time, his daughter's influence and natural rhythms of the farm promise to harmonise his discordant life. But the balance of power in the country is shifting. In Disgrace, those who feel disgraced are also those who are punished.

COMPLETED - List of Participants for Bookring

Wodfest - Melbourne, Australia (Int postage)
Livrecache - Melbourne, Australia (Aus shipping)
Kalasue - Beijing, China (Int postage)
MrsBoknows - Mount Pleasant, South Carolina (prefer US shipping)
Rebeccaljames - Cincinnati, Ohio (US shipping preferred)
Valpete - Walnut Creek, California (US shipping preferred)
GinnyRazo - Truckee, California (US shipping preferred)
Bookbabe71 - Kentville, Nova Scotia, Canada (North American post preferred)<------- book stalled here for a while
Pm sent 22nd Dec 2009
Pm sent 17th Dec 2009
Pm sent 1st Jan 2010

Rockyhorror1978 - Ontario Canada (Int shipping)
Sarahmuh - Sweden, Europe (will ship intl)
Penelopewanders - Switzerland (prefer to ship within the eu)
IWISHIWAS - County Durham, UK (UK postage if possible)
Jozebedee - Nantwich, Cheshire UK (UK only postage) asked to be skipped
Kingfan30 - Lincolnshire, UK (UK postage) asked to be skipped
Caroley - Birmingham, West Midlands UK (will ship intl)
DryKid - Birmingham, West Midlands UK (UK postage if possible) asked to be skipped
Wanderingstar8 - Greater London, UK (will ship intl) asked to be skipped
Dancesports - Tasmania, Australia (will ship within Aus)

Book is back with J4shaw

Journal Entry 7 by J4shaw at Cafe Benissimo OBCZ in Carlton North, Victoria Australia on Saturday, April 18, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (4/18/2009 UTC) at Cafe Benissimo OBCZ in Carlton North, Victoria Australia

My 1st Coetzee read, and I wasn't disappointed. Its a fairly short book, but by no means an easy read. On the contrary, this powerful, shocking book made me loathe, and then sympathise with the main character, and then even pity him.

The frankness of David's actions is in no way sensored, and the lack of remorse on his part made me question whether I wanted to read on without knowing whether remorse would come or not.

I have some knowledge of the ways of the area his daughter is living, and was not hugely shocked by the events that took place at the farm. However, the path Lucy chooses to take (or rather the path she refuses to walk along in order for her to escape the situation) is very hard to swallow.

All in all, a very good read incorporating right & wrong together with unconventional love & acceptance.

Taking with me to the April Melbourne BCers brunch meet up at the new OBCZ Cafe Benissimo tomorrow to pass onto to Wodfest, who is the 1st participant in this Bookring. I hope it is enjoyed by all who are taking part, and I look forward to reading everyone's reviews.

Journal Entry 8 by wodfest from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Monday, April 20, 2009

Caught at Cafe Benissimo with the wonderful, warm welcome of the Melb BC group.
Looking forward to reading this but with some trepidation.

Journal Entry 9 by wodfest from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Sunday, April 26, 2009

Impressive but troubling.
I was struck by the characters drive to get others to live a life that suits themselves rather than the others they wish to influence.
I suspect this is a book I would get something different from each time I read it but I certainly won't be in a hurry to re-read it any time soon.
Off to livrecache tomorrow in the post.

Journal Entry 10 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Sunday, May 10, 2009

I do apologise. I must have had this book for some days. I just found it while I sorting out my daughter's English Lit books. I shall read ASAP, and keep the ring moving

Journal Entry 11 by livrecache from Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Monday, July 27, 2009

Well, this was a very 'worthy' book. I can't say I liked any of the protagonists much: they didn't seem real. I thought the characterisation was pretty poor. However, the issues raised about South Africa at that time were very interesting, and I'm glad to have read it.

Thanks to all who came before me.

Journal Entry 12 by livrecache at Caulfield North, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (7/28/2009 UTC) at Caulfield North, Victoria Australia

On its way to another bookcrosser. I hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 13 by kalasue from Kalamunda, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, July 30, 2009

Received today - now I just have to decide whether to see the movie before I read it...

Journal Entry 14 by kalasue from Kalamunda, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I didn't love this book, mainly I think because I couldn't really engage with any of the characters. However I did enjoy the actual writing and would like to read more by this author.

The book is now winging its way from Beijing to the next reader in the US.

Journal Entry 15 by PalmettoBuckeye from Mount Pleasant, South Carolina USA on Sunday, September 06, 2009

Arrived late yesterday afternoon. It's 5th in line to be read. I will try to hurry!

Journal Entry 16 by PalmettoBuckeye from Mount Pleasant, South Carolina USA on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I really wanted to like this book, and did for a little while. Ultimately I decided it won't be considered a favorite and I won't be recommending it to anyone I know. I don't understand why the characters made the choices they did, especially at the end. What does his final choice represent? I spent the majority of the time reading this book hoping that something good would happen only to be disappointed time and again.

I appreciate the opportunity to read the book. Thank you so much for sharing.

Journal Entry 17 by PalmettoBuckeye at Walnut Creek, California USA on Saturday, September 19, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (9/19/2009 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

Off to valpete. Thank you again for sharing.

Journal Entry 18 by wingvalpetewing from Walnut Creek, California USA on Thursday, September 24, 2009

This book arrived safely today. It's up next after I finish reading "the Potato Peel Society."

Stayed up late last night to finish this book. I really like this author's style, although the book was very bleak and dark. I found very little hope in this book, which was disturbing. It is a book not soon forgotten.

Thanks for including me in this ring.

Off to the next reader - GinnyRazo asked to be skipped.

Journal Entry 19 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Saturday, October 03, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (10/5/2009 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

Sending it to Bookbabe71 - next on the list.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 20 by bookbabe71 from Kentville, Nova Scotia Canada on Thursday, October 22, 2009

The book arrived yesterday and I can't wait to read it - thanks!

Update jan 3/10

This book has been sent off to the next participant (the date it was mailed escapes me). I enjoyed reading this book as it opened my eyes to aspects of a different culture with which I have had no experience. I also love books that explore the dark side of mankind. I look forward to seeing the movie.

Journal Entry 21 by rockyhorror1978 from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Friday, January 08, 2010

Arrived today! Woot woot! I have one bookring that I am reading now and then I will get straight to this one.

13 January 2010: Started to read book today.

Journal Entry 22 by rockyhorror1978 from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Saturday, January 16, 2010

Just finished this book. As stated by J4shaw, the prose is easy to read, but the content is hard to swallow. This book has definitely left me with much to think about, particularly about human's ability to change and accept that which we cannot change. I also found it interesting how each character dealt with their own disgrace: public acknowledgement versus hidden shame or willing acceptance. The backdrop of post-apartheid South Africa was an interesting addition to the plot. Had it been set somewhere else, how would that have changed the decisions and feelings of the characters. It would have been a very different book.

I can see why this book made it to the 1001 books to read... list, however it is not one of my favorites. I found myself comparing the main character to the main character in the Human Stain throughout the book. I can many parallels between them and their willingness to accept what has happened throughout their lives.

Thanks for sharing this book with me. I have tried to contact the next reader twice and will do so again before skipping them and moving on to the next participant.

Journal Entry 23 by rockyhorror1978 at Lidingo, Stockholm Sweden on Saturday, January 16, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (1/17/2010 UTC) at Lidingo, Stockholm Sweden

Being sent to Sarahmuh, the next reader in the bookring. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 24 by Sarahmuh on Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Received this a couple of days ago, and have started reading it already. I saw the film first which I thought was fantastic, and now I realise it was pretty faithful to the book.

Thank you for sending this on rockyhorror1978!

Journal Entry 25 by Sarahmuh on Sunday, January 31, 2010

An amazing book which deserved its worthy prizes. I really enjoyed reading this, despite the heavy and troubling themes.

Journal Entry 26 by Sarahmuh at UTILISER LE MODE 'LIBERATION CONTROLÉE' SVP, .---controlled release---. Switzerland on Sunday, January 31, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (1/29/2010 UTC) at UTILISER LE MODE 'LIBERATION CONTROLÉE' SVP, .---controlled release---. Switzerland

Now on its way to Penelopewanders in Switzerland.

Journal Entry 27 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Wednesday, February 03, 2010

This arrived safely here in the Alps today. I've had Coetzee on my "have to read" list for years now - finally one in my hands that I hope to get to soon. Another ring or two in front of it, but have a long train journey coming up next week - may be just the thing to get those rings out of the way. Thanks so much for making this available and sending. (and the nice card, Sarahmuh!)

Journal Entry 28 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Saturday, February 13, 2010

I'm glad I could sign up for this ring as it means I finally got around to reading a book by this author who was recommended highly (not to mention the Nobel prize...). Hmm. I guess I just have a problem when it comes to reading about people I don't particularly like. For example, although it doesn't end up being an issue, I wanted to hang him by his toes when he refused to read the complaint filed, and I generally found him so imperious as to be unbearable. Ironically, this too was tucked into my suitcase for my trip to a women's conference where we discussed girls and sexuality - so the theme was right on target. Not wanting to make this a spoiler, it was nonetheless a textbook case of passive resistance - is rape if the victim never really says no? Or not assertively? Thought-provoking anyway.
I'll be sending it on soon, thanks so much for making it available.

Journal Entry 29 by wingpenelopewanderswing at UTILISER LE MODE 'LIBERATION CONTROLÉE' SVP, .---controlled release---. Switzerland on Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (2/16/2010 UTC) at UTILISER LE MODE 'LIBERATION CONTROLÉE' SVP, .---controlled release---. Switzerland

Now on its way to the UK. Thanks so much for making this available.

Journal Entry 30 by IWISHIWAS from Stockton-On-Tees, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, February 25, 2010

Arrived today, looking forward to getting started.

2/3/10:- Fantastic book, really skillful writing to get so much in just over 200 pages. The best book I've read recently and I will certainly read more by Coetzee. Next two people have asked to be skipped so posting to Caroley soon.

Journal Entry 31 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, March 06, 2010

Received today thanks.

I'm almost finished my current book so will start this one over the weekend.

Journal Entry 32 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, March 07, 2010

What an excellent book! I'm not sure what, but something about it kept me glued to the pages and I read it straight through last night. I can only say that it felt very atmospheric and you had a sense of subtle, or maybe not so subtle power shifts.

Thanks very much for sharing the book J4shaw. I really did enjoy it.

I've just PMd DryKid and hope to get the book moving asap.

Edited: DryKid has asked to be skipped so I've PMd Wanderingstar8
Edited on 10th March - Wanderingstar8 has asked to be skipped so I've now PMd Dancesports

Journal Entry 33 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, March 19, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (3/19/2010 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Posted surface mail to Dancesports.

Journal Entry 34 by Dancesports at Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Sunday, June 27, 2010

I had a few days in Melbourne for work last week, and I was pleased to find this one waiting for me when I arrived home on Friday night, I am travelling again this week, so I hope to take it with me as it will be quite light in my bag.

Journal Entry 35 by Dancesports at Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Sunday, July 25, 2010

well this one has travelled with me on three trips but I didn't start it until this week. Once I started it I found it a quick and riveting read.

Journal Entry 36 by Dancesports at Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Released 6 yrs ago (11/30/2010 UTC) at Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia

On it's way home.

Journal Entry 37 by J4shaw at Kaleen, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, December 04, 2010

This has arrived back home. Thanks everyone

Journal Entry 38 by J4shaw at Kaleen, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Sunday, December 05, 2010

Released 6 yrs ago (12/5/2010 UTC) at Kaleen, Australian Capital Territory Australia

This one is off as an accompaniment to a book on mission that I think may be of use / interest