corner corner Moon Tiger

Moon Tiger
by Penelope Lively | Literature & Fiction
Registered by winglukutuoliwing of Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on 1/24/2009

status (set by crimson-tide): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by winglukutuoliwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Saturday, January 24, 2009

From the back cover:

"Claudia Hampton - beautiful, famous, independent - is dying.

Meanwhile, she tells her nurses, "I'm writing a history of the world", the "whole triumphant murderous unstoppable chute". As memories crowd in, Claudia re-creates the richly patterned mosaic of her life and times, from childhood just after the First World War to the present day. But as Claudia, the successful and popular historian knows, her story is enmeshed with the stories of others, and they too must speak: Gordon, her brother and adored adversary; Jasper, charming, untrustworthy lover and father of Lisa, her cool, conventional daughter - and, at the centre of Claudia's life, Tom, her one great love, both found and lost in wartime Egypt."

Winner of the 1987 Booker Prize.

Journal Entry 2 by winglukutuoliwing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, October 02, 2011

I've heard this book to be praised, but for some reason I didn't get into the book. There are so many other books to be read, so I'll pass this one.

Journal Entry 3 by marsala at Chiswick, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, November 11, 2011

Thank you so much for this book!

(I love the 80's cover..)

Journal Entry 4 by marsala at By mail, a surprise RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 23, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (1/23/2012 UTC) at By mail, a surprise RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Send as a wishlist surprise.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, January 30, 2012

The book's back in Finland! Thank you very much for this wishlist surprise, marsala!

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, September 20, 2013

I've read another Lively before (don't remember the title) and enjoyed it very much - and this one didn't disappoint me either. Ar first Claudia felt like a very unpleasant person, but turned out to have been damaged by her history. I particularly enjoyed the middle section, which brought more flesh to the bones and got most under my skin. All in all, an enjoyable read.

The novel won the 1987 Booker Prize.

Journal Entry 7 by wingpippiswing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

I've no expectations for the book, so I'm just trusting it's a good one as it's an awarded one :) Thank you, Annimanni!

Journal Entry 8 by wingpippiswing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Sunday, April 03, 2016

The most haunting, most beautiful read I have had in ages! Though not many would like Claudia's character or her way of life, I envied her and could well understand her choices. So much of her inner thoughts were still left in secrecy and I could have easily read double the pages - but that would have been voyeurism and cheap thrills. Absolutely worth all the praise and prizes! The book travelled with me to London with intention to release it there, but I just couldn't read it without savouring the words, so it's back in Finland again.

Journal Entry 9 by wingpippiswing at by Post, A surprise for another bookcrosser! -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, April 03, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (4/4/2016 UTC) at by Post, A surprise for another bookcrosser! -- Controlled Releases

It's a pleasure to be sending a good book to someone who's wished for it! If only I'd known a few days ago, I could have sent it off from Arlanda...

Journal Entry 10 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Thank you, what a surprice! This book have been on my wishlist for eight years!
1987 winner of the Booker prize

You made my day!

Journal Entry 11 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Tuesday, July 12, 2016

I liked this book, a life of an interesting woman - you don´t get the whole story but I like to think about how much more it is...
Thanks again!

Journal Entry 12 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (7/12/2016 UTC) at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden

On your wishlist!

Journal Entry 13 by wingcrimson-tidewing at Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Thursday, August 04, 2016

Thank you so much for this RABCK, Deepswamp. I appreciate it.