corner corner Anansi Boys

Anansi Boys
by Neil Gaiman | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by AnnevO of Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on 1/22/2009

status (set by JonnaL): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, January 22, 2009

One of fiction's most audaciously original talents, Neil Gaiman now gives us a mythology for a modern age -- complete with dark prophecy, family dysfunction, mystical deceptions, and killer birds. Not to mention a lime.

Anansi Boys
God is dead. Meet the kids.

When Fat Charlie's dad named something, it stuck. Like calling Fat Charlie "Fat Charlie." Even now, twenty years later, Charlie Nancy can't shake that name, one of the many embarrassing "gifts" his father bestowed -- before he dropped dead on a karaoke stage and ruined Fat Charlie's life.

Mr. Nancy left Fat Charlie things. Things like the tall, good-looking stranger who appears on Charlie's doorstep, who appears to be the brother he never knew. A brother as different from Charlie as night is from day, a brother who's going to show Charlie how to lighten up and have a little fun ... just like Dear Old Dad. And all of a sudden, life starts getting very interesting for Fat Charlie.

Because, you see, Charlie's dad wasn't just any dad. He was Anansi, a trickster god, the spider-god. Anansi is the spirit of rebellion, able to overturn the social order, create wealth out of thin air, and baffle the devil. Some said he could cheat even Death himself.

Returning to the territory he so brilliantly explored in his masterful New York Times bestseller, American Gods, the incomparable Neil Gaiman offers up a work of dazzling ingenuity, a kaleidoscopic journey deep into myth that is at once startling, terrifying, exhilarating, and fiercely funny -- a true wonder of a novel that confirms Stephen King's glowing assessment of the author as "a treasure-house of story, and we are lucky to have him.

Journal Entry 2 by AnnevO at Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, June 25, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (6/28/2009 UTC) at Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Voor Monalisaa.

Journal Entry 3 by monalisaa from Rijswijk (ZH), Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, July 03, 2009

Thanks for giving this book to me, AnnevO. As you know I didn't have time to read it when it was on the list of our reading group, but as I read a book that Neil Gaiman wrote together with Terry Pratchet which I found very funny, I really still like to read it.

Journal Entry 4 by monalisaa at Boekenruil in Nieuwegein, Utrecht Netherlands on Friday, November 27, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (11/22/2009 UTC) at Boekenruil in Nieuwegein, Utrecht Netherlands

Heb dit boek meegenomen naar de boekenruil bij Janny in Nieuwegein, en zag dat het meegenomen is door Jonna.

Journal Entry 5 by JonnaL from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, December 17, 2009

Found this at the boekenruil in N'gein 22/11, but didn't see that it was a bx-book, so didn't register till now....

Journal Entry 6 by JonnaL at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Saturday, July 14, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (7/11/2012 UTC) at Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands

My husband is going to read the book. No idea when he'll finish it...