corner corner K: The Art of Love

K: The Art of Love
by Hong Ying | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingkiwiinenglandwing of Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on 1/19/2009

status (set by sing-on-a-star): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingkiwiinenglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Set in 1930s China, this true story is a tragic tale of romance, sexual desire and untimely death. Beautiful, intelligent and schooled in the ancient Taoist arts of love, Lin Cheng is the wife of a provincial university professor. Julian Bell, son of Vanessa Bell and darling of the Bloomsbury set, is newly arrived in China and hungry for experience. Their mutual attraction leads to a passionate physical and spiritual sojourn in Beijing. Unable to realise their love in a society divided by cultural conflict and the threat of war, they eventually part: Julian, betrayed by his love, to fight for the Loyalist cause in Spain and Lin to contemplate suicide in her husband's house.

Journal Entry 2 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Swindon, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 30, 2010

Released 6 yrs ago (10/1/2010 UTC) at Swindon, Wiltshire United Kingdom

This book was chosen by sing-on-a-star from Apoloniax's Asian VBB. I'm handing it over in person during the Swindon bookcrossing Unconvention held in October 2010.

Journal Entry 3 by sing-on-a-star at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Sunday, October 10, 2010

Thanks KiwiinEngland! I didn't make it to Swindon but Cinderess did and has passed this on to me. :)

Nice easy read. I didn't realise this was based on real life when I chose the book so I know want to find out more about Julian Bell.

Journal Entry 4 by sing-on-a-star at Manchester Art Gallery in Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Sunday, July 03, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (7/2/2011 UTC) at Manchester Art Gallery in Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom

Released by team Top Hat for the Bookcrossing Monopoly release challenge