corner corner The Lost World

The Lost World
by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle | Pets & Animals
Registered by CityOfLit1 on 1/21/2009

status (set by janey-canuck): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by TheLostBook from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Welcome to The Lost World Read 2009!

You’ve got hold of a book that is part of the UK’s largest reading campaign. We’re celebrating Arthur Conan Doyle’s 150th birthday and Charles Darwin’s bicentenary by bringing people across the UK together to read a classic adventure tale of a lost plateau, discovery and dinosaurs - The Lost World.

Investigative journalist Ed Malone joins a band of explorers sent to South America to prove that deep in the jungle there is a forgotten world where dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals still survive. What do they find - and will they make it home to tell the tale? It's the first Conan Doyle story featuring the larger-than-life Professor Challenger.

And, welcome to The Lost Book!

The Lost Book is a collaborative adventure in storytelling. It’s taking place online and anyone can join in. At its heart is an animated web series: the adventures of 21st century investigative journalist Aileen Adler.

There are loads of ways you can get involved and it won’t cost you anything. You can help us to write the story for the web series. You can join our special guest writer to reconstruct a stolen book in our weekly microstory competition. You can enter our soundtrack competition by creating your own music for the web series. You can produce your own animation.

And, you can read this book, tell us what you thought of it, give it away, and follow its journey. So join in, wherever you are, and have fun!

(Oh, and sometimes you’ll need a password to get into sections of www.thelostbook.net. Only people with a copy of this book will have the password, so these areas will be exclusive to you. The password is: the last word on page 150 of this book. Don’t forget!)

Journal Entry 2 by CityOfLit1 on Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Journal Entry 3 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 05, 2009

What a delightful book to find in my Welcome Goody bag at the Edinburgh Unconvention. Thank you to everyone involved in getting it to me. Much as I love the Classics, this is one I haven't read, so I look forward to filling the appalling gap in my knowledge. Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 31, 2009

Now that I've read the first six chapters, out of 16, I want to record how much I'm enjoying it and how surprised I am to find it pleasantly amusing! I'd expected it to be interesting and entertaining but I hadn't realised it was going to be funny!

Example (p43): Professor Murray will, I am sure, excuse me if I say that he has the common fault of most Englishmen of being inaudible. Why on earth people who have something to say which is worth hearing should not take the slight trouble to learn how to make it heard is one of the strange mysteries of modern life..... (He) made several profound remarks to his white tie and to the water-carafe upon the table, with a humorous, twinkling aside to the silver candlestick upon his right....

For some reason that appeals to my sense of humour - I don't know why!

Journal Entry 5 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Now that I've finished reading it, I don't really have anything to add to my interim report. It captured my imagination at the start and held my attention to the end. It wouldn't be very impressive if it were written now, it would seem very tired and derivative, but as a Classic from the early years of the 20th century, it's fascinating.

Journal Entry 6 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 03, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (9/3/2009 UTC) at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

On its way to bluenoser as a surprise enclosure with a book she knows about :-) There are so many copies of this classic circulating in the UK that I thought I'd let mine take its chances in France!

Journal Entry 7 by wingbluenoserwing from Eymet, Aquitaine France on Thursday, September 10, 2009

I just got back from the Thursday morning market in time to catch the postal lady ringing my doorbell with a fat package in her hand. Thank you for this Conan Doyle RABCK Nu-Knees. He was one of my favourite authors as a child, but this is one I don't remember reading.

Journal Entry 8 by wingbluenoserwing from Eymet, Aquitaine France on Sunday, October 11, 2009

Ah yes! That took me back to my youth. Thanks Nu-Knees. Some of the ethnic comments, gathering of dead specimens of rare creatures and other no-nos that are definitely politically incorrect today made me wince, but otherwise I was there right along with the four adventurers!

Journal Entry 9 by wingbluenoserwing at controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, October 11, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (10/12/2009 UTC) at controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases

Mailing this off to janey-canuck in Canada. I found it on her wish list.

Journal Entry 10 by janey-canuck from Guelph, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Received with thanks!

Journal Entry 11 by janey-canuck at Guelph, Ontario Canada on Sunday, May 15, 2011

This has been on my shelf far too long... It was an easier read than I expected so it didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would to get through. I've never read this before and knew very little, surprisingly. I really only knew there were dinosaurs somewhere in there. Anyway, it was a really enjoyable read. It had some funny parts and was quite captivating. My only wish was that the love story line in the book had ended differently.

Journal Entry 12 by janey-canuck at Guelph, Ontario Canada on Sunday, March 22, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (3/22/2015 UTC) at Guelph, Ontario Canada

This book is heading out into the wilds of Guelph to help stock one of the city's wonderful Little Free Libraries. Which one or when, I cannot say - that will be up to the discretion of the owners!