corner corner Empire of the Sun

Empire of the Sun
by J.G. Ballard | Literature & Fiction
Registered by inkognitoh of London, Greater London United Kingdom on 5/8/2003

status (set by inkognitoh): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by inkognitoh from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, May 08, 2003

*Shortlisted for the Booker Prize 1984*

Oh I can't extol the virtues of this story enough. I've seen the movie umpteen zillion squillion times and still manage to shed a tear each time. I can't believe it's taken me all this time to lay my hands on a copy of the book and am in no doubt it will be as moving if not more so than the film. I shall most likely have the music from the film swimming through my mind as I read this wonderful tale of war time Asia.

Picked up in a bargain box at a second hand bookstall in a market in Bath.

Journal Entry 2 by inkognitoh at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, February 25, 2013

As a long time fan of the movie made from this novel, I had high expectations and I really wasn't disappointed. So much more nuanced and detailed than the movie, the book is an absolute triumph.

Jim's war is as complex as his survival strategy. Part naive schoolboy and part corrupt trader in the sorrows of other, Jim draws on whatever it takes to survive and actively (and disturbingly to the adults around him) enjoys his war. It's the mother of boy's own adventure scenarios. A parentless existance but one not free from authority. Jim isn't even really sure whose side he is on or whether he wants the whole thing to end.

Journal Entry 3 by inkognitoh at Royal Festival Hall in South Bank, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, March 08, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (3/8/2013 UTC) at Royal Festival Hall in South Bank, Greater London United Kingdom

Left in the foyer before a performance of Angelique Kidjo & Fatoumata Diawara on International Women's Day (also my final day in the office before maternity leave). Not a bad way to celebrate both events I think.