corner corner Heart-Shaped Box

Heart-Shaped Box
by Joe Hill | Horror
Registered by wingPlum-crazywing of Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 5/9/2009

status (set by faerie_queene): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 09, 2009

Judas Coyne is a collector of the macabre: a cookbook for cannibals . . . a used hangman's noose . . . a snuff film. An aging death-metal rock god, his taste for the unnatural is as widely known to his legions of fans as the notorious excesses of his youth. But nothing he possesses is as unlikely or as dreadful as his latest discovery, an item for sale on the Internet, a thing so terribly strange, Jude can't help but reach for his wallet.

I will "sell" my stepfather's ghost to the highest bidder. . . .

For a thousand dollars, Jude will become the proud owner of a dead man's suit, said to be haunted by a restless spirit. He isn't afraid. He has spent a lifetime coping with ghosts—of an abusive father, of the lovers he callously abandoned, of the bandmates he betrayed. What's one more?

But what UPS delivers to his door in a black heart-shaped box is no imaginary or metaphorical ghost, no benign conversation piece. It's the real thing.

And suddenly the suit's previous owner is everywhere: behind the bedroom door . . . seated in Jude's restored vintage Mustang . . . standing outside his window . . . staring out from his widescreen TV. Waiting—with a gleaming razor blade on a chain dangling from one bony hand. . . .

Journal Entry 2 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 23, 2009

I found the first few chapters of this book amazingly atmospheric & sooo spooky...I think it was the anticipation of what was going to happen!
While I really enjoyed the book as a whole I found the part leading up to the arrival of the ghost, & his first appearance, more menacing than the rest of the tale but you can't stop reading as you just have to know wether Judas manages to rid himself of this spirit....or not :o)

Overall, a gripping horror tale with well-written characters & I look forward to reading more by this author.

Read as part of the 2009 ULTIMATE CHALLENGE.

Journal Entry 3 by elstaplador at Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Friday, October 28, 2011

Received in the Hallowe'en sweeps. Thank you, Plum-crazy (and thank you for organising the sweep!)

Journal Entry 4 by elstaplador at Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Monday, September 10, 2012

A ghost story: the ghost comes in the heart-shaped box, along with a suit, via an internet auction site that is Not EBay. We are not told what it is. I think that selling ghosts on the internet may not be as novel as the author thinks it is, but let that pass. The story of a faux-gothy rock star hoist with his own petard is quite interesting, and so is the plausible psychological background to the whole thing, but I felt that the story did lose focus when it went away from the heart-shaped box.

Journal Entry 5 by elstaplador at UK Smile Day, Sweepstake Winner -- Controlled Releases on Monday, September 10, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (9/11/2012 UTC) at UK Smile Day, Sweepstake Winner -- Controlled Releases

Sending to the winner of the UK Smile Day sweepstake. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by faerie_queene at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, September 14, 2012

Received with thanks :)